NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

Flooooppppy... aaaa

floppy disks suxx. because they're getting corrupted very fast. I think it's more risky to flash from a floppy disk than from an not overclocked, good working WIN XP environment.

Better as these two methods, is to flash from Harddisk (Boot up with DOS-Start disc and then flash from FAT partition)...

but i'm using Winflash.

HAS to work. i do not have any floppy drive (each time removing after installing windows).

cya

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in my experience, installing the power supply in the case before the mobo and such is much easier. I guess it really depends on the case but sometimes the space is tight so its best to get that PSU in before you have ur expensive mobo in there. Have fun man!

Chuckamazuk

Anyone still boot into a dos prompt from floppy and insert a floppy with AWFlash on it? That is the way I have been flashing bioses for ever. Is there a better way? I refuse to flash a bios in windows.

Is CTFLASH a safe utility? ;-}

Charles

Good luck going forward Ed....

My additional advice to you (based on recent experience) is that during step 25 (loading MB / Chipset drivers) do not install Nvidia IDE drivers, and do not install Nvidia Firewall / Nforce Network Access Manager programs - these caused me a number of headaches and neccessitated several system rebuilds (til I figured out it was them causing the issues!).

Also, do not install Ntune from the DFI disc - a lot of people have reported that it also has the potential to cause nightmares. Nvidia don't seem to hot on SW quality at the mo!

Damian

My bad.

I decided to go through the power supply connections one more time. It turns out I had the 5V/12V (HDD-type) power supply connection on backwards. I'm not sure how you are supposed to tell which way is the right way, but anyway, I had it backwards.

I am now getting a semi-successful boot up. The diagnostic lights turn off, the fans turn on, I get the DFI LanParty splashscreen, and then I get a screen that lists devices, it says "Modifying DMI Pool Data..........." and then it goes on to list the following:

NVIDIA Bood Agent 202.0467

Copyright © 2001-2004 NVIDIA Corporation

Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

-E61: media test failure, check cable

-M0F: Existing NVIDIA Boot Agent.

K BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

If I press DEL, I can't get into the BIOS.

It's late, and I think I'll finish up tomorrow. Any ideas on what it's looking for at this point or why it won't let me into the BIOS?

Ed you should be pushing Delete before you get to that point. I usually just push it over and over at the Lanparty screen till I'm in bios (once I'm in bios I disable that screen just so I can see whats going on in the background) good luck!

With dual channel memory it is much easier to get everything installed and running with one stick on the mem instead of both. AMEN... :nod:

Orange slot #2 closest to outer edge of mobo.

RGone...

And to expand on this, to memtest each stick seperately. Then that way you can isolate poorer performing sticks.

Anyone still boot into a dos prompt from floppy and insert a floppy with AWFlash on it? That is the way I have been flashing bioses for ever. Is there a better way? I refuse to flash a bios in windows.

Yep, me this is the way I PREFER to do it too. I like this MUCH better.

in my experience, installing the power supply in the case before the mobo and such is much easier. I guess it really depends on the case but sometimes the space is tight so its best to get that PSU in before you have ur expensive mobo in there. Have fun man!

Chuckamazuk

Well, it's a matter of opinion. I like to install mobo first then psu, that way the wires are not in the way of installing mobo and then I can do a nice job w/ wire management.

sandman32, thanks for the tip as I am now into the BIOS and I've input the settings from Rgone and Angry_Games. I needed to press DEL prior to the fourth diagnostic light going off and the splashscreen. I'll add that to my notes.

Tonight, it's on to installing the HD and DVD and hopefully moving on to the OS!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

PS. If I have WinXP with SP 2, is it still necessary or desirable to slipstream the OS with the latest updates?

I am thinking about switching to the 64-Bit platform. I have been building systems for a while, mostly EPOX or ABIT. Now I want to try DFI, and thought I might as well go for the 939 Socket. I do have several PSU's, one of 'em being a 475W Enermax, is that sufficient, or need more than 500W? Also, my biggest issue, is the graphics card, my current rig has an eVGA 6800 GT, but AGP 8x, not PCI-Express. And the PCI-E cards are quite heavy on the pricetag. Wouldn't make sense to get a 6600GT, 128MB, cause it'll be the bottleneck, right? So, either wait, or go for the more expensive option :nod:

The new rig would look somewhat similar, but of course the new board and CPU:

- DFI nF4-D Ultra

- Athlon 64 3000+ or 3200+ 90nm either way

- 2x512 MB Crucial Ballistix PC 3200

- ????VIDEO CARD????

- 2x160 GB SATA RAID Barracuda's