Tired of noisy chipset fan? DFI nF4 solution (modem warning!)

GXP345

That's almost right, they're called "self taping screws" (taping would be the act of cutting threads)

That is the best thing I have seen yet, too bad I plan to run SLI soon. But a little AS5 decreased my temps 5c so I'm happy until the fan goes out :cool:

Thanks, now i've learned a new word ;)

and thank you, I also like this solution :D

SLI would not be a big problem, just a matter of cutting of more of the thin cobber-finns ;)

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is the result of a days work with a thermaltake "Golf325, Combo Cool DIY Series":

tempereture before: 42ºC at full speed

now: 41º... ZERO RPM :cool:

I think that the fins on that sink is to dense :rolleyes: And the fins should also direct the air upwards and not sideways in a standing case.. (Just my point of view). Try bending the fins on the lower part of the cooler, this should give better perfomance. Like this:

zalman-flower.jpg

Good job building it anyway :)

In Norwegian/Danish:

Du er dansk? PM meg gjerne hvis du ønsker.. Jeg heter Jørn og er fra Norge

I think that the fins on that sink is to dense :rolleyes: And the fins should also direct the air upwards and not sideways in a standing case.. (Just my point of view). Try bending the fins on the lower part of the cooler, this should give better perfomance. Like this:

zalman-flower.jpg

Good job building it anyway :)

In Norwegian/Danish:

Du er dansk? PM meg gjerne hvis du ønsker.. Jeg heter Jørn og er fra Norge

I'll try bending the fins tomorrow if there is time, thanks for the advise ;)

In Danish

Ja jeg er dansk, tak for tilbuddet, det vil jeg benytte mig af hvis jeg skulle få brug for hjælp. Jeg hedder Casper og er som du nok har gættet fra Danmark ;)

Forresten: tjek min hjemmeside, især under projects, der er noget godt læsning ;)

I'll try bending the fins tomorrow if there is time, thanks for the advise ;)

In Danish

Ja jeg er dansk, tak for tilbuddet, det vil jeg benytte mig af hvis jeg skulle få brug for hjælp. Jeg hedder Casper og er som du nok har gættet fra Danmark ;)

Forresten: tjek min hjemmeside, især under projects, der er noget godt læsning ;)

I`m quite shure you will get even better results after doing this :) Bend some of the upper fins to. Bend as many as you can and you gots ya`self a real Bad butt Killah` :D

Try this:

Take a wallpaper knifeblade --> put it to the bottom at the first fin --> bend --> move to next fin (and so on..)

L9070.jpg

Danish:

Kult domenenavn, tror jeg må registrere .no domenet selv :nod:

I`m quite shure you will get even better results after doing this :) Bend some of the upper fins to. Bend as many as you can and you gots ya`self a real Bad butt Killah` :D

Try this:

Take a wallpaper knifeblade --> put it to the bottom at the first fin --> bend --> move to next fin (and so on..)

L9070.jpg

Danish:

Kult domenenavn, tror jeg må registrere .no domenet selv :nod:

thanks i'll try it if there is time ;)

recived my watercooling stuff today so thats the first priority ;)

Danish:

Tak, det er der faktisk ellers ikke mange der synes :confused:

du skal da føle dig velkommen til at registrere .no domænet men ikke noget med at bruge Try-this som brugernavn rundt omkring på forummer :P

Yea me too.. right now.. I just took my ultra-D off an all day 3dmark loop and the chipset is sitting @ 36c.. To me thats becuase of good air flow in the case..

:nod:

Yeah! And that`s cool??! :rolleyes: Not my kind a fun!

How many fans du you totaly have i your system? incl. PSU :rolleyes:

kewl pics try-this

ill prolly try something similar soon!

just lookin for a nice copper heatsink in the area for it

btw: what u think thats best?

fins (like try-this heatsink)

or

pins (like the zalman chipset cooler, but then bigger offcourse :P)

pins seem easier to move at first sight... but does that copper break easy?

about those position of those self taping screws:

u mean like this?

heatsink:	  (try to imagine this urself;))

mobo:		───────────┼────────────

screw:						 ┴

and aint it difficult to apply an even pressure with those self taping screws? or isnt it easy to crush ur chipset core when screwing the heatsink in place?

kewl pics try-this

ill prolly try something similar soon!

just lookin for a nice copper heatsink in the area for it

btw: what u think thats best?

fins (like try-this heatsink)

or

pins (like the zalman chipset cooler, but then bigger offcourse :P)

pins seem easier to move at first sight... but does that copper break easy?

about those position of those self taping screws:

u mean like this?

heatsink:	  (try to imagine this urself;))

mobo:		───────────┼────────────

screw:						 ┴

and aint it difficult to apply an even pressure with those self taping screws? or isnt it easy to crush ur chipset core when screwing the heatsink in place?

Pins is definatly easier to remove then fins, because, YES, the thin cobber fins breaks of very easy!

Yes your "drawing" of the self tapping screw looks right ;)

I started applying pressure with my hand and the screw the screws in it very gentle, and not make it to hard/tight. After the first mount I removed the heatsink to chek if the contact was good and it looked perfect som I mounted it agian and it's now running smoothly :cool:

EDIT: by the way, mounted my passive watercooling, now there is only 2*120mm fans in my "case" that barely spins (operating at 5v or maby less), then the 2 noiseless 80mm fans in my psu, and the 5v fan on my zalman VF700-CU :cool:

I also bended the fins on the chipset cooler, the temperature is still 41ºC but keep in mind that my big XP-120 is now removed and so is the 120mm fan that was mounted on it ;)