Critique My Final Build

Okay guys, so after deciding to build my new system around the NF4 Ultra-D, I’m ready to start ordering. Below are the parts that I’ve picked out over the last month or so.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

DFI LANPARTY UT nf4 Ultra-D

1GB of OCZ DDR3200 Platinum Rev 2

OCZ 520w Powerstream

Sapphire ATI Radeon x850 XT (DVI/TV-Out)

Thermalright XP-90

Thermaltake Tsunami Tower

I’m still unsure about the PSU and memory, though. I’ve read that people are having problems with this memory being used on the Ultra-D, and I’m not really sure if the PSU is the best choice for the Ultra-D

What are your opinions with the memory? I’d rather not get something that has been known to have issues such as the platinum rev 2 (yet I’m still getting the Ultra-D :P). I’m looking for something that is completely compatible with the Ultra-D and gets good OCing results. My goal is to get 2.5 GHz out of the processor, so I need something that can at least handle a 250fsb.

I’m willing to spend up to $300 for a 1GB (512mb x 2) kit. Are there any specific memory brands/models that you guys can recommend that will fit these requirements? Model numbers or even vendor links would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve read that the OCZ 520w powerstream is a great PSU, but I have some questions that I haven’t found the answers to no matter where I’ve looked. It doesn’t look like it’s ATX 12v 2.03, will that be a problem? Does it have a native 24 pin? Is it “PCI-E Ready”? More than likely I’ll be using ATI’s SLI solution in the future, will this PSU support it?

By the way, if there are any other PSUs that you guys think would be a better choice than the powerstream, please, let me know. My budget for the PSU is $150.

Sorry if these are newbie questions… I just want to be 100% sure before I spend the money on it.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think about this build. All comments and suggestions are welcome!

I’m willing to spend up to $300 for a 1GB (512mb x 2) kit. Are there any specific memory brands/models that you guys can recommend that will fit these requirements? Model numbers or even vendor links would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, what I have...GSkill LE...its the bomb! :D Guaranteed for your lifetime too!

Just a quick question - why the XP-90, I have the XP-120 it fits fine and even offers a little bit of RAM cooling (hangs over). 120mm fans generally offer the same cooling at lower noise in my experience.

The powerstream looks like a good PSU, I'm getting the 600 because of the dual 12V rails, but anywhere I have found it it is around $200 US. According to this:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/PSUSpec.pdf

The 420/520 are ATX12V 2.0 and the 600 is ATX12V 2.01

520w OCZ Powerstream = good choice, dont let anyone tell you different

X850XT PE = good choice, I have one (not a Sapphire tho) and if its what you want, get it. I'm always hesitant when people say 'oh get a lesser one and flash it to a better one' as this kills your warranty, and its never a guarantee unless you buy one that has already been successfully flashed (and guess what...it has no warranty)

XP-90 = good choice. I like it over the XP-120 because of the size, and it doesn't really offer any better cooling (your case should offer good enough cooling for the RAM anyway)

Winchester 3200+ = good choice, I like mine...wish I had a 3500+ though...

TT Tsunami case = good choice I guess...a case is purely up to the user, and should never come into question of opinion as there are simply too many different cases and too many different opinions ;)

Ultra-D NF4 = good choice of course ;)

the only thing I am unsure of is the OCZ 3200...I have the OCZ 4200EL Platinum and I can highly recommend it as being awesome...and trouble-free. the 3200 I read around here and there seems to be mixed results on the DFI NF4 boards

this doesnt mean it is crap...far from it...on the NF3 and Intel boards it smokes just about anything...but on these NF4 boards its sorta up in the air as to whether its a good choice or not.

the 4200EL Platinum OCZ though I can guarantee is worthy of the money. If you ask OCZ themselves they would recommend it over the 3200 for these DFI NF4 boards also.

Look at my Sig, pretty much identical setups except I have Ultra Dragon case...

the XP-90 I have keeps my cpu temps below 40C at all times its great, even with 1.55V it never went above 40C (maybe its the 5 case fans?? hah)

The OCZ PSU's are great, my modstream is awsome and I only hear good things about the powerstream line (I woult have gotten the powerstream if it was avail to me)..

The Ram, well I have that same ram and 2 days ago i would have said i hated it, but today i love it.. I bought the ram because it is so highly recommended among overclockers.. and well in canada no one sells Gskill so the OCZ was the next best choice... I did have some troubles with the ram at the begining, but now I have it running stable and its great.. runs with interleave on at 2.5-3-4-7 at 250HTT (12h prime stable). I am thinking I could tighten those timings some more and still stay stable.. The ram does like 2.9Vdimm on the DFI, which is a little high for TCCD but OCZ says it should be ok and my ram has never gotten too hot to touch...

Also OCZ has a great support forum that has OCZ employees who answer questions.. I think the problem (me as a perfect example) is that alot of people are overclocking for the first time with this ram, and having troubles.. I would recommend it..

My Thermaltake Tsunami case is the pits. The clearcoat was applied over a botched, orange-peeled black paint job that just looks hideous! The aluminum in the covers is nearly thin as aluminum foil. Good thing it is going under the desk, where nobody can see it. I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but you asked opinions, and I would recommend anyone buying one of these cases to look at it first. Newegg wouldn't post my review on this pathetic case, as I gave it a 2 out of 5, and that was pushing it.

There...I feel better now.

Charles