hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha yea I get by with it. its fine for CS not so good for source and far cry and such... not to mention the fan crapped out.. so I went to buy a replacement lovely guy at frys tells me the one i got would fit... except it doesnt :P so now I have to thermal taped to my vid card eheh.

lol i do you know how many dbs it is? I'm just curious as to how much louder it is then the current hsf. I have this thing on all the time but whenever its off its sooo eerily quiet.

From experience between Seagate 120 and 160 gb, the 160's are faster... at least when they are set in RAID-0. I always thought bigger meant faster, but now with the 80 gb I am not sure... at least the 160 gb should be the same in my opinion.

The 160 has two platters versus the single platter in the 80. This allows the data to appear closer together to the controller which results in higher throughput. I haven't measured the 160's yet but if it follows the normal progression it will be at least a little faster and probably quite a bit faster.

From experience between Seagate 120 and 160 gb, the 160's are faster... at least when they are set in RAID-0. I always thought bigger meant faster, but now with the 80 gb I am not sure... at least the 160 gb should be the same in my opinion.

Yeah, even with out testing the Hitachi SATA II 160gb hard drive looks better on paper... probably two of these in RAID-0 will perform better than two 80gb ones. Maybe the Seagate I know had a similar diference and thus the 160 gb were faster as well.

Even'n folks!

As soon as the equity loan closes, I will be getting my hands on some delicious nf4 action!

I was originally thinking of doing 4 drives in raid-5 on the sil 3114, but this thread has persuaded me to use the Hitachi sata II drives on the nf4 controller.

Has anyone benchmarked 4 of those bad boys in 0+1? If not, I will give it a try here in the next month or two ;)

Adios

If you setup four drives in RAID-0+1, I would be interested in the results.

To save a few bucks on the setup, I would look at using at least two of the SATA II drives on the nVidia controller in RAID-0 for maximum performance.

Then you can use a single large drive for backup and storage.

Even'n folks!

As soon as the equity loan closes, I will be getting my hands on some delicious nf4 action!

I was originally thinking of doing 4 drives in raid-5 on the sil 3114, but this thread has persuaded me to use the Hitachi sata II drives on the nf4 controller.

Has anyone benchmarked 4 of those bad boys in 0+1? If not, I will give it a try here in the next month or two ;)

Adios