hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

You can do it either way.

I prefer to do it before setting-up the RAID. Makes installation a bit faster. :D

Question. When I set up a fresh raid array, do I run the hitachi program from the floppy to set my drives to sataII before or after I install windows?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also do you guys use a paging file, some places people do some don't, my pc is overclocked and i do play the latest games

Everyone is using a page file. Even when you turn it off, windows will still use one "behind your back". For this reason, you should just set one yourself. i set mine to 768min, 1536max. Some places say set them both the same min and max (for defragmenting purposes), some say set it low when you have alot of ram, and high when you don't. I have 1024mb ram, and even when the minimum is set to 512, I would occasionally see it saying that it is setting it higher. Since I've set it to 768, I don't get that message. The newest reports say that there's nothing to lose from not having a max, but I don't see an option in there for not having a max, so 1536 has worked fine. Regardless of the settings, I doubt you'll see any improvement from one to another. I've played with different settings for years, using different amounts of ram, entirely different pc's, and regardless, it doesn't make a difference. Now when Gigabyte's iRAM comes out, that will be a different story! You can plug DDR into a pci (e or x?) card, and the pc see's it as a hard drive. Then you can set your page file (and even install programs) to this drive and be very very fast! And don't worry, you won't lose your info saved here, when you power down, or even re-boot, because there's a rechargeable battery on it. Supposedly recharges right through the pc, and should last a couple years.

Might I point everyone to the Dell website regarding warranty (bold letters):

Increase the storage capacity of your Dell™ Desktop systems with this high-performance hard drive from Dell™. It boasts a storage capacity of 80 GB, enabling users to store large amounts of data. Featuring an ESATA interface, this hard drive delivers data transfer rates of up to 1200 MBps (Buffer to Host). It also offers a maximum rotational speed of 10,000 RPM and an average seek time of just 4.5 ms for fast disk access. This product has been tested and validated on Dell™ systems to ensure it will work with your computer and is compatible with Dell Precision™ 380 Workstation / XPS 600 Systems. It is supported by Dell™ Technical Support when used with a Dell system.

"supported by" doesn't necessarily mean "no warranty if not used in" though. I'd assume it has some kind of warranty whether used in a Dell system or not. Just if you call Dell and want to talk to them about setting up a 4 drive RAID0 in your DFI/AMD system, they might not talk to you much about it. :)

I'd have to ask them every 30 seconds why they don't sell AMD processors anyway and so I doubt we'd get anywhere. :D