SUCESSFUL pencil vdimm mod on HOFINITY

Black99RT

Not to steal disaffects thunder but I just successfully completed the vdimm pencil mod. Here is what you will need:

2hb pencil (I used a "Chinese Newspaper Pencil"... more on that later)

This picture http://img65.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img65&image=51-dfivdimm.jpg

A QUALITY DMM (digital Multi-meter)

A Team Dfi T-Shirt (this is the most important part of the mod because if you don't have one your not hardcore lol)

Procedure:

(ALL DMM CHECKS WERE DONE 3 TIMES THEN AVERAGED)

Boot computer, leave multi and cpu volt alone, set fsb 133 and vdimm to 2.6.

With the psu turned off, check the resistance of the resistor in question. Set the DMM to 200k ohms, you should get a reading stock of about 125.4-125.5K ohms, or 125,500ohms. This is your baseline. Now draw ALOT of graphite across the top of the resistor, check it again, it should be about 20-30K ohms. THIS IS BAD, WORST CASE SCENARIO THE MOBO Wouldn’t BOOT HERE. Now erase it fully. Make sure you can get the stock 125.5k back again.

now this will take allot of trial and error but you want to tune the resistance to 90k ohms to start off with. It seems DFI "volt-modded" a 3.1v vdimm circuit themselves because you will only see gains at 3.2 and 3.3 in bios.

USE THE VDIMM CHECK POINT, BIOS WILL READ LOWER THEN ACTUAL

90kohms-

3.2 in bios- 3.28

3.3 in bios- 3.39

78k ohms-

3.2 in bios- 3.39

3.3 in bios 3.50

IF you want to go higher you will need to get 70-75k ohms. I have not tired anything lower then 78k yet.

I am not responsible for you borking your stuff etc.....

Right now I am memtesting at 258fsb at 3.4 actual (30+ non error passes!) The vdimm only fluctuates .01v from load to idle so I dont see any problems there. Look for max fsb results at 3.4 and 3.5 later in the week.

This mod is definitely effective as I have seen a new best fsb and Havent topped out even the milder setting yet.

So slap that Ho into line and pencil mod it!

** the chinese newspaper pencils were given out at our skool, they are red cirular pencils that may or may not be 2hb spec. They are not made of wood, but compressed paper. Since it is multicolored when you sharpen it, we assumed they were newspapers. I dont know how the chinese part got in there (no racial disrepect intended)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried this mod. It worked great. I used B pencil.

3.2V in BIOS was 3.55V.

3.3V in BIOS was 3.65V.

So, I tried to set 3.1V in BIOS.

But then, my board became impossible to boot up.

So, I used spare BIOS chip.

And after some tweaking, I tried to set 3.1V in BIOS, again.

But my board became impossible to boot up, again.

Pencil mod + 3.1V in BIOS is very dangerous, maybe.

It's time to buy another BIOS chip.

@the wizzard: the location of the resistor on the lpb is about 3mm away, here is a pic.....

http://img98.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img98&image=59-P1000136.jpg

@enzo: As for 3.1v, mine acted funny there too I suspect that the vdimm circuit was originally disigned for 3.1v and we are tweaking a built in volt mod DFI added. That may explain the instability and problems at the 3.1 setting.

@ everyone: Id sart out with 90-100kohms. I gained one stable fsb going from this mod at 78ohms set to 3.2 in bios. Now it reads 3.36 in bios (used to read 3.30) and 3.40 actual (never checked stock 3.3 acutal) I suspect my chipset needs more volts to continue. More testing will tell. For now I leave you with this screenie.....

.[bIMG]http://s93795131.onlinehome.us/Boosted/w00t4.JPG[/bIMG]

That's right, this mod allowed me to break 4GB/sec!

Next goal: 260x10 cpc on toaster stable.

Originally posted by Black99RT

@enzo: As for 3.1v, mine acted funny there too I suspect that the vdimm circuit was originally disigned for 3.1v and we are tweaking a built in volt mod DFI added. That may explain the instability and problems at the 3.1 setting.

Thank you for checking.

I will never set to 3.1V in BIOS, again.

check the voltages yourself with a DMM. I suspect they are better then you think.

Thats for sure.. My HO is right on the money when checking with dmm..

Nice find guys..

And congrads to Black99RT for getting past that dam 4k he has been trying for..hehe

Originally posted by THunDA

And congrads to Black99RT for getting past that dam 4k he has been trying for..hehe

Thankyou. It was well worth the effort.

now its time for a new goal: 260fsb toaster

@ enzo, could you please list the resistances you tried and what gains they got you, maybe we can compile a better guide.

@ enzo, could you please list the resistances you tried and what gains they got you, maybe we can compile a better guide.

Sorry, I don't have any DMM.

I only have a courage.

And now, I'm waiting for a new BIOS chip.