SUCESSFUL pencil vdimm mod on HOFINITY

Black99RT

@enzo

WOW, voltmodding w/o a DMM; now thats hardcore. They are not that expensive.

I assumed your results with with a DMM, then if it says 3.65 in bios, thats more liek 3.69-3.7v Id run the lower setting or erase the mod till you get a DMM. Just get anthing can measure dc volts to up 20, and ohms up to 200k.

@everybody

I am memtesting 261fsb now, to get 258+ stable for more then an hour I needed 1.9 on the chipset. I havent topped out 3.4vdimm yet.

If you do not have GREAT airflow over the dimms you will get errors when they overheat. I used to run one 80mm over them. While testing 3.4v if I turn off the fan I get errors in like 7 mins. Since I realised it was that dependant on cooling, I rigged up a 160x80mm set up with 2 80mm fans, the rectangle config works well and is close to the same size and shape of the dimms. Note: this is with the mushkin heattrappers on.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone!

this mod is realy interresting, so therefore i just got to get a couple of questions straight...

if i do this mod, will i be able to use auto/2.6v-3.0v options in bios, or will it corrupt my bios ? maybe you can answer that Black99RT ?

or is it just the 3.1v option in bios that is f**kup up ?

also, do i need to boot my board without ANY memory atached just to check the Voltages ?

goodluck everybody tryign out this mod!

exemple: i voltmod, and when i'm at 3.35v reel when its say 3.2v in the bios i stop. when i up to 3.3v, it goes to 3.45v, but when i down my voltage to 3.1, I get 3.1v for my ram.

I don't know why, probably because when you start your voltmod on the 3.2v line in bios you cannot go down from this first start point.

Originally posted by Disaffect

exemple: i voltmod, and when i'm at 3.35v reel when its say 3.2v in the bios i stop. when i up to 3.3v, it goes to 3.45v, but when i down my voltage to 3.1, I get 3.1v for my ram.

I don't know why, probably because when you start your voltmod on the 3.2v line in bios you cannot go down from this first start point.

does 3.1v in bios work for you ? or is it unstable ?

just woundering, becouse Enzo had a problem with 3.1v in bios and messed up his bioschip, and that isn´t fun for any of us...

Originally posted by Disaffect

its because at 258mhz 2-2-2-11 its not so stable at only 3.1v.

it does a big difference between 3.1v and 3.35-3.45v

hehe, i realize that.

what i mean is, if you run at lower fsb and at 3.1v that you personally know that the memory i stable at, does the voltage still work stable or does it act funny for some reason...like Black99RT and Enzo mentioned...

@markus_d

2.6-3.0v are unaffect by this mod, thats why you should set to 2.6v to boot it for the first time after the mod. The only way to check actual vdimm is with your ram in, you may want to use a pos ram to check, or know what the total resistance is and we can help you figure out what it could be, thats why you should try around 90-100kohms to start off.

3.1v can act funny, I didnt have problems but only had it set there for about 2 mins to check if the mod affected it. I got a couple of no posts even at 133fsb. The voltage looks clean on the dmm, but I would not recommend running it because of some Bios issues another member had and the post issues I had.

2.6-3.0 are clean and stable after the mod. I saw my actual voltages at 2.6-3.1 were the setting plus .04 ie: 2.6 is 2.64 actual. I think that is what mother board had always done though.

I would really appreciate it if other members posted their resistance readings and gains at 3.2 and 3.3 settings.

update: 261 3.4vdimm 1.9vdd errors onece per 70 passes. 8x260 at 3.4dimm 1.9vdd is memtest stable for like 160 passes then I turned it off to try prime which I let run for 3 hours no errors b4 shutting it down. Anyone care to donate a neo backplate to the cause so I steal the sp97 off the nf7 1700dlt rig to use on the DFI? I am serverly cooling limited now.

I am debating weather to use the full 3.5 my 78kohm mod gives at 3.3 in bios to continue, or redo the mod to yeild about 3.45v. Im pretty impressed with 260fsb stable at 3.4v seems to a relatively safe and fast place to be.

Markus_d : My OCZ PC3200 platinum limited edition (BH-6) was able to do 235mhz at 3.1v very stable. Any voltage higer than 3.1v did not do anything for higher fsb, and less voltage result in somes error in memtest and windows...

3.1v for me was the best point i had on my board (LP-B).

and at 3.1v you dont need aditionnal cooling for your memory. (only 3.2 and more volt need more cooling)

I only got 3 stable fsb (257-260) from moving form 1.8vdd to 1.9 and 3.3v (in bios) to 3.40v (actual) (but i never checked my 3.3 stock to read acutal, it read 3.30 in bios, after the mod set to read 3.4 on a DMM and it read 3.34-3.36 in bios, so I suspect that I didnt gain a full volt maybe only .06 as my board overvolted .04 in actuality, if so then 3fsb isnt bad)

Any ideas, will 261 be stabilized by more vdimm or does it sound like I am being prematurely limited by the chipset?

@katch

As for my alphas, click the link in my sig, it shows them on nfII tweaker, however I DO NOT run those 24/7 I do not know if they are perfectly stable. I set my bios to the what the auto settings actually were in nfII. I bench with the factory ones, then with the tighter ones, the difference is usually about 30mb/sec in bandwidth and 1-2ms overall memory latency (in sciencemark2.0) I have not done enough testing to choose what I will run 24/7 yet, just trying to max out fsb with what I have right now, reducing the number of varibles for the time being. I have not gotten to tuning the skew rates yet either.

note: I never run that agp and agp bus latency, i had tested it when fooling with my video card and it somehow got saved to my "best" nfII tweaker save.

@everone

Is anyone SURE that they are limited by the chipset at their current clock and if so what settings do you run? I am trying to firuge out what the hang up is a 261fsb. I may re-do the vmod to give just a lil more vdimm (3.45) to see if it gets rid of these really infrequent errors. I hope it is my chipset holding me back becuase I am not comfortable giving it more then 1.9vdd.

I'm back with my new result.

1102656946.png

Now, I'm very happy. Thanks Disaffect & Black99RT!

But, I still don't have a DMM.

I took a new picture of this mod, by the way.

1102504152.png

Draw a line over the resistor in the green circle.

I hope this helps.