Overclocking LP925X-T2

saperboy

what about the PCI-Express Frequency?...what should I set it at to use the X800XL ? auto?...115MHz?

I suggest you start with AUTO first, if that does not satisfy your needs, pump it up. From my experience, 115 is optimal, that is using an NVIDIA 6600GT.

I will not need either of the on-board LANs, I will be using a PCI WiFi card...will this cause problems? I also have a PCI Philips sound card

I don't think this will cause any problems. Of the 2 built-in LAN ports, only one is based on PCIe, the other one is still PCI.

what about the BIOS?...is there one I should be using for overclocking? I'll look and see which one it has on it now...but I don't like flashing for no reason...are there bad ones that cause problems with overclocking?

It seems that they've changed the naming convention for the BIOS update, but the description fits the latest bios. Maybe it's the same bios after all.

and last..I have the stock Intel Heatsink/Fan on there now...but I will use a ZALMAN 7000 Alum/Cu when it gets put in the case...could someone that a guess at what voltages or temp I should stop at for this computer that may run sometimes 24/7?....I would like this computer to match the performance of another one I'm building with a Venice 3200+ and 6800GT....so (another guess if you please) what speeds would the Intel 630 and the X800XL need to be overclocked to?...so it can compete with the AMD64/nVidia

For CPU voltage, first try to use the default, it may give you the performance you need. Otherwise, don't go over 1.5V with aircooling. I guess the best answer would be for you to monitor the temps and see for yourself how high the temps go with your voltage setting. If you're staying at a relatively cooler climate, then you'll have better chances.

Good luck with your adventure... hope to see some results. Cheers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with your adventure... hope to see some results. Cheers.

great..thanks for the reply....I just put the kids to bed...so I'll go fire 'er back up in a few

btw...this is one of the two computers I'm building for the kids as X-Mas gifts

the other one will use my old(not really old, as I only had it a few months) 6800GT and a new EPoX 939 nF4 with a 3200+..and be an all new computer to replace the older Kid's AMD 1GHz/GeForce4 Ti system

this Intel/ATI system will be an upgrade to a computer I built for the younger Kid

..which has a 9600pro and a 2.8GHz 520 P4 in it...the 9600pro has just proved to be too under powered for games...so in order to do this upgrade to a new video card I really felt that it needed to be PCI-E...this lead into replacing the motherboard and RAM(the old AGP board is socket 775, but used DDR1..which I'll use in the AMD64 EPoX system for the older Kid)...so as long as I was getting a new Video card, DDR2 RAM, and Mobo...I went ahead and got a new CPU also

I'm guessing the the Intel 630 with 2MB cache is a better CPU than the 520j 1MB CPU (or is it?...should I be using that one?)

but what about the other AGP/DDR1/775 motherboard...it is a DFI LANPARTY 875P-T

...is this PCI-E/DDR2/775 DFI LANPARTY 925X-T2 Socket T going to be a step down?...is the DFI LP 875P-T a better motherboard?

1) Users have to disable the onboard PCI-E LAN to overclock past 220

The 925X chipset does not have a fully functional PCI-E lock (this is a known fact). In order to overclock, we need to raise the PCI-E clock with FSB in a certain ratio. However, this increased PCI-E clock will cause the Marvell PCI-E LAN to fail. Unless we change our PCI-E LAN chip on board, users will always have to disable the PCI-E LAN when wanting to overclock FSB higher. This is one unfortunate thing which will be addressed in our 925XE motherboard. ABIT boards don’t have this problem because they are not using Marvell PCI-E LAN chip.

2) Users have to disable the Performance mode to overclock past 220

The Performance Mode is used to generate very tight default timing and is for standard FSB benchmark only. This issue will be addressed in our 925XE.

3) Users have to set the PCI-E lock to AUTO to overclock past 220

This is a work-around to solve the chipset's inherent PCI-E lock issue. The Auto setting will generate proper PCI-E clock when the user raises the FSB. We also offer PCI-E clock options for users to try and see if his platform is able to overclock PCI-E further. What we suggest users to do is to keep PCI-E clock as AUTO and raise the NB voltage a little (1.7 ~ 1.8 is better for overclocking PCI-E).

Yaaaay.... did that^...now I'm at 250MHz and taking my 2nd run on 3Dmark05

...temps under 50C.. CPU at 3.75GHz..I had to turn the RAM down to 1:1(400) so its only at DDR2 500 speeds..but that 220MHz wall sure came down

I'll try for higher...see if I can't get the core clock running the RAM at DDR2-533 speeds with it 1:1?(CPU might not like a 266MHz core X 15 = ~4.0GHz on a 1064FSB...or will it?)

but about my RAM...at SPD timings(3-3-3-8) and voltage (1.8vDimm) it can boot Windows at ~290MHz(4:3)....so if I want to run it with the core clock at 250MHz and higher...is it better to run 4:3 with the timings really loose and the RAM speed really high...or use 1:1 with lower timings and close to stock speed?

Going great there.... try higher...go for ramming speed...hehehe... be sure to monitor the temps. 1.8V for vdimm should be fine enough. Not really sure though for your ram which would work better, 1:1 or 4:3, I guess you just have to try both settings and run some benchmarks to see.

It seems that you have a great board and CPU there... you're in luck.

I wanted to see what would happen with a 266MHz core clock on the CPU to get the RAM up to stock DDR2-533 speed running with the 1:1...well I found out that the CPU would only be running 3990MHz...that was too close to 4GHz and not actually be 4GHz...so I set it at 267 and crossed my fingers and pressed F10...

267MHz core clock....1068FSB...RAM 1:1 DDR2-533

and yup 4GHz

I have the X800XL running at 420MHz core and 510 mem

..so 3Dmark05 GFX score is 5200

..but the CPU score is 5800...max temp is only ~48C

anyone know if those overclocks are about right for a X800XL?

..it would be nice if I could push the GFX score up closer to 6000 like I can with my 6800GT

the Intel 630 is stable as a rock at 4GHz...I've run '05 three times in a row without any problems...I have seen the RAM at ~290MHz so at this 1:1 setting I still have a ways to go before I need to loosen the timings...I'll see how much higher the CPU will go(still no end in site at 4GHz!!! with only stock cooling)...but should I go back to the 4:3 RAM setting and try running the RAM at super high speeds with loose timing and more volts (SPD is DDR2-533 1.8vDimm 3-3-3-8)...how high should I set the timings an volts to run it fast?

hehe...seems like its time to re-set/clear the BOIS

I left the RAM at 1:1 and pushed on 270MHz...275MHz...280MHz no sweat

from 280 I just thought that it was invincible...so I randomly tried 290MHz..in hind sight I should have started bumping core speed by little bits from 280MHz (1MHz or 2MHz) as I'm sure I was getting close to what my DDR2-533 RAM can do at stock 3-3-3-8 timings

well, it still posts into the BIOS at 15 X 290MHz with the RAM 1:1....but it seems that if I make a change in the BIOS it can't save it...I let it cool down and I'll try again..if not I'll just clear it...but I think I need to start back at a slower core clock and use the 4:3 RAM setting with some higher timings and see if I can get back to running at 4GHz...

not sure how to do the math....but at 267MHz with 4:3 ratio, how fast will my RAM be going..and like what timings?...4-4-4-8? no clue on DDR2, help?

ok...I did the 4:3 thing..set the RAM to run at 4-4-4-12, and gave the core a 267MHz clock...this brought me back to 4GHz with fast RAM and bad timings (RAM was at 339MHz or something?)..I also added a bump in RAM voltage to 1.9vDimm

I gave it two runs with 3Dmark05 but the scores didn't change from when I was at 4GHz with the RAM 1:1 with the stock speed and timings of 3-3-3-8 and 266MHz

score was still ~5200 GFX and ~5800 CPU

so I thought I would try tightening up the timings from 4-4-4-12 1.9v to 3-4-4-11 1.9v with the 4:3 and 267Mhz core clock...that didn't work at all

so..is there a way I can get more performance out of the RAM?..are their better timings I should try when it is running really fast with the 4:3 setting?...or am a better to run the RAM at SPD timings at stock speed by only using the 1:1 with the CPU at 4GHz?

• 7 months later...

I have been successful in running my rig at a 235FSB (3.2GHz --> 3.76GHz) while using a 6600GT GFX card. I'm about to get this rig water cooled so hopefully I can go even higher.

p.s. what effect do the RAM timings have on system speed?