can't run at stock speeds

I don't even know where to begin....

I have been plagued by problems ever since I upgraded past my old PIII 800, maybe I should have stuck w/ that...

I must be missing something because I have been having nothing but problems with the simple action of going to 200mhz fsb. I orrigionally purchased a Barton 2500+ and OCZ PC3500 EL DDR with the sole purpose of overclocking it to 2.2ghz like everyone else was. I even got the excessive liquid cooling for it! When I couldn't get 1mhz over 166mhz fsb with out instability I just assumed I had gotten a bad cpu and didn't go any furthur than that.

I recently purchased an athlon xp 3200+ because I wanted to utilize motherboards potential and go to 200fsb. That dream was shot down with a quickness when I couldn't put my 3200+ 1mhz over 166fsb with out instability. As you could imagine i was a little ticked that I couldn't even run my $200 proc at stock speeds. I instantly thought it must be crappy ram because I had bought my OCZ3500 ddr when it was a fairly new thing so it might have had some problems. So I RMAed it and waited patiently for it to get back.

I just recieved my new OCZ3500 today. I was very excited to get it back and couldn't wait to get it installed and see it work perfectly. As you could have guessed that was not the case. Now my computer can't even boot at 166mhz fsb. If I go 1mhz above 166mhz I can't even post.

There must be something wrong with the settings in the bios, there are so many ram settings something must be off. I have messed with this soooo long I am about ready to just throw this frekin machine away and try to start over. I swear I have the absolute worst luck ever....

My machine specs can be found in that link on my sig. I have tried every bios release dfi has put out and none of them have worked.

I think I bought this motherboard about a month after it came onto the market if that helps at all.

If you need any more info I would me MORE than happy to give it. I am all out of ideas. I have been posting this in many forums for a long time with out any luck. If anyone thinks there might be a better forum to post in let me know and I'll give that a shot too.

I'm willing to do just about anything to get this thing to work. All I ask is for stock speeds, I don't care about overclocking anymore.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

-Folken

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to assume that both CPU's are desktop versions and not the mobiles.

Not sure about your 3200+, but the 2500+ is definately a 333FSB (166x2). Being that it is a Desktop version, I don't think you will have much luck OC'ing it without unlocking it first, which requires modification that will void your warranty.

The other thing is that the best system performance comes from running your RAM and CPU synchronously (same FSB)...as you CPU is 333 you will want to run your RAM at 333... this can be accomplished by entering Genie BIOS and setting RAM to 1:1.

I think that you meant to purchase a Mobile CPU... most OC people on this forum went for the 2600+ mobiles i beleive.

The 2500 proc came unlocked (all bartons do) and it was common practice at the time to up the fsb to 200mhz making them 2.2ghz. Almost every proc could do it when they were first put out.

I always have my ram running at 1:1

It is a brand new retail desktop barton 3200, I bought it 2 weeks ago.

I don't care about overclocking anything right now. I just want to run my 3200 and stock speed. I'm stuck at 11x166mhz right now, 1.8ghz.

Updates the bios? given it a full clear to the specs posted in here?

tried to take the processor off agressive, manually set voltages, timings, chipsetv, dimmv etc

what kind of psu are you using? need some information....

it seems the board is getting the best of you :/ this board is designed to go fast, i ran my 2500barton at 2300mhz no worries :) 200fsb

I have cleared the bios and reset everything many times. I have used all defaults and auto and set everything to manual. I have tried all the voltages I felt safe going to and many different ram timing combos. The only thing I haven't played with are the more advanced ram settings. The bios must be setting one of those things wrong for this ram.

I am currently using the most recent official bios release from dfi.

I have a VANTEC VAN-520A (520W) Black Aluminum Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-473&depa=1

FINALLY !

someone with the same problem as me !

i've been fighting to get this POS at 200 fsb for ages. exactly as you describe, not 1mhz over 166fsb. :mad:

i'v tried twinmos value, kingston value, twinmos twister and now corsair XL ram in it.

i've tried with cpc on and off. i've tried all auto settings, all manual settings. i even tried 1.9vdd and 3.0vdimm today. - no luck

oh and i get same problem with 27/11 and 19/6 bios's.

haven't tried any others, want to keep my warranty for what its worth:rolleyes:

BTW - i've tried this board on 2 PSU's, currently a tagan 480w, so its not that.

I am going to try an antec true550 on my system. The powersupply is the only thing I havent replaced so far so I at least will have the peace of mind that it isn't a power supply problem. If this doesn't fix it I think I'm just going to buy a different motherboard.

...If you both have DDR400 processors in your boards now and also DDR400 memory in your boards and they will not run 400DDR then your first point of recourse is RMA thru the brick and mortar store or online etailer from whom you purchased. If the place from whom you purhcased the boards has a warranty period less than the total period of board warranty then DFI steps in and covers the rest of the warranty. First point of contact is the place of purchase. After you follow the first recourse and come to find you need your second avenue and live in the UsA; then email me and I will advise next step and whom to contact and with what infomation to make contact.

Now a little history of the 3200+. If you guys have the 3200+; the cpu itself has found to be at fault about 5 times in the last 5 weeks or so. I dealt exclusively with one customer who tried everything I could think of to get him up and going including buying some memory; I felt should work even though not BH-5 Hehehe. Anyway, he decided it was the motherboard and his DFI only a few weeks old at the time>RMA'd it for an Asus NF2 motherboard and it would not work work correctly either. He RMA'd the cpu and was kind enough to email me back and tell me the cpu was his problem all along. I think AG has experienced a very similar situation and in fact the customer sent the entire mother board and drives and all to AG and he assembled and had problems as well and RMA'd the board to DFI for the customer and when the new board came back the problem was still there. AG tore down one of his rigs to get an xp2400+ desktop cpu to install and the customers board worked fine. I am not sure what the final disposition of that 3200+ processor was.

Point being I do not think either of you have a motherboard problem but rather the pieces plugged in are somehow less than Ok or the pieces do not all play well together when allied with the high performance nature of the DFI sisters. Very seldom do we see people having this similarity unless the memory is just not up to the task or in the last couple of cases; I have mentioned above>there was a 3200+ processor thrown into the mix.

That is all I know that is 'real' and of this world and not speculation. I have also made advisement of the process to approach an RMA and that is all any of us can do for you at this time.

Sincerely, RGone...

They say that all Bartons made after week 39 are locked and yours is probably multiplier locked too. That should however not prevent you from increasing fsb. The trouble with any "it should work situation" is that a thousand and one things can upset the system and headaches are plenty in the course of trying to solve the problem.:(

It would seem though that the culprit is your MB! As Rgone would say, it is dorked! If i had your problem... and in order to satisfy my suspicion... i will restart with the simplest configuration, the mb, a pci video card and a 2 gig hdd with winme or 98 connected to IDE-0. (The trouble is, a few guys nowadays have these for daignostic purposes.) If it still refuses to budge 1 mhz upward, I will save myself more pain and frustration and RMA the board. With your present setup, you should be flying !!!!!!!.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

btw.... just use 1 stick of ram in slot 1 (nearest the cpu).

OK this is wierd.

seeing this post made me try for 200fsb again, so heres what i did, with a reset with EVERY single bios change. :

1.reset defaults

2.disable raid

3.disable firewire ctrl

4. set mem 1:1 (@133)

5. adjust each voltage cpu - 1.65, mem, 2.8, vdd 1.7, agp 1.5 (reseting between each)

5.set 200fsb.

6.set agressive CPU

7. set ram timings (2-2-2-6 CPC on)

now im priming fine :confused:

im not 100% sure yet, but for some reason that seems to have worked :-s.

It is likely a device/resource conflict....

Let the system run as is for a while (a few hours). Then reintroduce devices one at a time...Good luck !!!

and good morning...it is 5:50 am in Manila