LAN dropout cure....non-heat related*

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ClockMaster

I could not boot to windows at first with sata raid0... I selected safe mode and got in there ,,then I checked the device manager to see if the change had effected and it did... I then rebooted and it went right into windows normally,, looked at device manager and advanced ACPI was enabled...

I never had a lan drop so I don't know if it's cured LOL... I see no difference yet,maybe you need a IDE drive to tell...

Same as ClockM exact same cept i was getting the lan drops, seems to have fixed it now though. :)

Tested on IDE SP2 with APIC on..... sound dropout still there, even with Hell's latest bios's.

Ill leave APIC "on" on that drive, for further testing. Nice to have rock solid confirmation.

Point of parlimentary proceedure.....

One thing remains a datapoint. On neither the NF7-S nor the A7N8Xdeluxe, at 245Mhz x 10 (2x 256M CH5) running APIC, do I expereince any LAN/SOUND dropouts running the same games, with same settings, just as hard.

So it remains a DFI sister situation that this fix is needed. Just food for thought for Oskar/TW. Running the same 2x 256M at 245Mhz I get sound dropout on Infinity with APIC on, in fact anything over 230Mhz causes the dropout. All bios's 1/21-6/19hell give the same result.

Mind you, the NF7-S/A7N8X's cant do as high FSB ultimately as the DFI's can, but it does suggest there is "something" in the bios coding that is responsible. Maybe its a tradeoff we have no choice but to make, but something for the Boyz in TW to realize.

Beyond this quirk, the machine is a damn battleship...hot days, no AC, game my butt off, just a monster....ty DFI.

Before I give this a shot, I have winblows running off my RAID, reading two of the post it looks like after I change the HAL to the advance settings one I will need to goto safe mode or something to get winblows running in regular mode after this.

I want to give this a shot to see if my sound dropouts will be fixed. I just don't really want to reinstall windows at this time plus loose alot of data which I need to back up.

Booster, Ive implemented an IDE winXP backup (was Win2Kpro for years) on IDE. It's there to support my raid0 if it ever needs rescuing, and also to be an ongoing backup point.... I keep all my stuff backed up on the IDE as well as weekly re-burn of my DVD-RW disk.

Just a good habit to get in, and critical support, since its the only way to be able to format the raid0 cluster-size correct, as winXP setup wont do other than 4K cluster.

Just thought I'd suggest you set such a thing up on a spare drive BEFORE delving into any risky alterations of your raid0 OS.

There's alot of benfits besides just having your butt covered...

ex: format the IDE with a 2G partition as the first thing on the drive, then format the rest, then DELETE the 2G partition. Do all your setup, install WinXP on the IDE, etc etc. Then format the 2G space as FAT32 with 4K cluster, and use THIS to put your Raid0 OS's pagefile on.

Trustme, it will pep things up. Just a thought.

Yeah I have a maxtor with xp on it also I can use to back up. Well I need to format since it was on another system.

I guess I might just format since its been more than half a year now and windows is probably gonna explode soon.

Originally posted by Booster

windows is probably gonna explode soon.

Mine did tonight .. formatting now.. ;)

edit..

btw.. was my fault.. and I decided to redo my raid to 16k16k ..I didnt do that the last time I formatted cuz I was being lazy and just went with default.. But then I realized why in the hale am I running it default..lol what is ?! "default".. :shake:

I flipped a coin and best 2 out of 3 it was heads meaning do it.

So I went updated drivers to the Advance config and restarted. It loaded into windows, detected the new hardware and restarted once more. Lets see if it really cured my audio drop problem and if it does WOOT!

Heres how the IRQ looks on my rig.

[bimg]http://s88289070.onlinehome.us/computer/devicemanager.gif[/bimg]

DANGER DANGER

You are using the NVidia IDE driver, this is a VERY bad idea with Sataraid.

NVidia doesn't implement the "flush cache on shutdown" issue correctly. So MSoft KB 331958 (which you MUST install) wont do its job.

Rollback to the MSoft default drivers....otherwise you gonna get bit.

Also, turn OFF the com1 port if you arent using it. Once into ACPI only land, interupt allocation becomes an issue again, and you dont want to pile crap on.

Another hint....in PriorityControl in the registry, add "IRQ11Priority" DWORD and set to "1". This will give the 9800pro some added smoothness in game.

If you are NOT using SATA or a SCSI/IDE/SATA PCI card, then go ahead and use NVidia IDE drivers.... but if you use anything beyond standard IDE in your system, rollback to the MSoft default IDE drivers.....otherwise trouble will find YOU.

I think it "bit" me last night..lol

I changed to " Advanced Configuration and Power Interface" because I was dropping lan in cod when playing online.. The weird thing is I did change this last week and then switched back without a problem.. But oh no .. nOT last night..hehe I changed it and couldnt get back into windows, it just kept rebooting.. I then went into safe mode and switched it back to the Uni processor thing.. and I was back into windows.. But couldnt get my lan working at all..

After all this I found a old Linksys ethernet card .lol ... So I also wanted to format my raid with 16k16k settings .. I figured what the hay .. and started formatting anyways..

Im gona finish it tonight and NOT use the nvidia IDE which I was using before .. and also try using " Advanced Configuration and Power Interface".. maybe even use the linksys card anyways..

Thunda

Took your suggestions Uwack, uninstalled the NV ide and currently using the MS standard. Disabled com port, weird that I didn't disable it before, and added the Dword in the registery.

Now gotta let the comp just run the next few days without a restart to see if my sound dropping is staying or not.

Thanks for the tips again, I never really went deep hardcore into tweaking xp, I only did most of the black viper stuff. :D