6800GT or X800Pro?

Well preliminary results are good just tried the auto detect coolbits o/c and got 432 core and 1.1ghz memory. (an ultra for $400 ) probably can go higher but i did notice with the higher clock speed that my aquamark 3 scores went down from 56032 to 55000 ish. Was playing doom 3 and anytime something was happening or say started to happen the video would be all hurky jurky like it was buffering or something.

Sweet soundx98 that is an awesome price!!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deathadder: that sounds like a common problem with the 6800gt's once they have been overclocked so high. turn off agp fast writes and see what happens then. if that doesn't work, try taking the core down just a bit and see what happens.

Figured out the hurky jurky part..... turned the settings down from ultra to high. I read in a review that ultra was for cards that have 512mb ram and high was for 256mb..... game runs great now!!! played it in the dark and nearly pissed myself..... haven't played a game that made me this jumpy in a long time!!!

Review where I found what settings to use:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040809/index.html

you can go here for information on tweaking and modifying doom3 if you like... it includes some information on how to increase your FPS along with some tweaks that claim to increase the quality of the game.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33784

good luck deathadder... i still suggest turning off fastwrites if you're getting lower performance in aquamark than you are expecting.

Originally posted by Kamel

i'm not trying to be the instigator of a religious debate, but seriously, can you possibly say something more idiotic than this? i tried letting it slip, but honestly, making claims like this, i can only imagine how baseless and unresearched anything you've said previously could be.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/534/534050p1.html

maybe you should work for idsoftware :lame:

Nothing idiotic about it. WinXP is a Total memory HOG compared to Win98se. The difference

in game play between XP with 1/2 a gig and Win98 with 1/2 a gig is startling.

The ONLY thing baseless and unreseached is your reply Kamel. After all I am the one

who has both OS's on my machine to play the game with.

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

Nothing idiotic about it. WinXP is a Total memory HOG compared to Win98se. The difference

in game play between XP with 1/2 a gig and Win98 with 1/2 a gig is startling.

The ONLY thing baseless and unreseached is your reply Kamel. After all I am the one

who has both OS's on my machine to play the game with.

Viper

please read all of the replies and take my latest response to heart. the tables have turned a bit since i posted that.

Hey over 57000 here's the link!!

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_search.ph...easurement=1590

Probably get higher once I get the omega drivers to work!!!

P.S. I did disable the fast writes in the bios and lowered he core to 400

but the memory is still 1.1ghz!!

Nice to see ya back viper...... hopefully you know as much about Nvidia cards as you do ATI's

Originally posted by Chowdy

very few X800PRO's can be successfully softmodded and OC'd to an X800XT, and some softmodded PRO's die after a couple days after softmod.

The 6800GT can almost guarantee Ultra speeds, while the X800PRO cannot. At stock the X800PRO also loses.

Absolute hogwash on the x800Pro OC's. Most x800Pro non VIVO's will OC far beyond

XT-PE speeds. The slowest Pro i've had out of five cards so far OC'ed to 560/560 clean

stone stock.

Now if you are talking X800Pro VIVO's you are correct. The Pro VIVO got that designation

and were sold as such because they failed to run clean at stock XT-PE clock speeds or

when OverDrive clocked them up to the max. The Pro VIVO's original target build was an

XT-PE. The Pro VIVO's are purely a by product of XT-PE production and not a separate

production build. If you buy a Pro VIVO you are guaranteed a card that will not OC well.

Viper

Originally posted by deathadder

Hey over 57000 here's the link!!

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_search.ph...easurement=1590

Probably get higher once I get the omega drivers to work!!!

P.S. I did disable the fast writes in the bios and lowered he core to 400

but the memory is still 1.1ghz!!

Nice to see ya back viper...... hopefully you know as much about Nvidia cards as you do ATI's

wow, that's quite a bit lower, you sure the core wont go any higher than that? good luck on it. btw, you may not have known me as long or well as him, but any information regarding nvidia cards i can generally answer. i do know some about ati's cards, but i don't follow them as much, because there's no risk of me getting one until they start supporting linux, heh.

Originally posted by Kamel

you can't play it on win98se. he claimed he edited the exe to run on win98se. "that's" what i had a problem with, nothing else.

it's very true that doom3 eats ram, and anything that can give it more ram will definitely increase the performance of it.

Gees you keep digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole because you do not do the Due

Diligence to cover your six. To get Doom3 to run under Win98/ME requires the changing

of two bytes of code in the Doom3.exe file.

Load Doom3.exe into a Hex Editor and change the bytes at 374F1E (45h) and 374F1F (78h)

to 00h for both. Fire up Win98/ME and click the Doom3 exec. You do not even have to install

the game under Win98. Just use the Doom3 shortcut from your WinXP install.

BTW I did not come up with the mod. It was found by who knows who shortly after the

game was out and I caught it a web search.

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

Gees you keep digging yourself a deeper and deeper hole because you do not do the Due

Diligence to cover your six. To get Doom3 to run under Win98/ME requires the changing

of two bytes of code in the Doom3.exe file.

Load Doom3.exe into a Hex Editor and change the bytes at 374F1E (45h) and 374F1F (78h)

to 00h for both. Fire up Win98/ME and click the Doom3 exec. You do not even have to install

the game under Win98. Just use the Doom3 shortcut from your WinXP install.

BTW I did not come up with the mod. It was found by who knows who shortly after the

game was out and I caught it a web search.

Viper

i hate people who do not read a thread out before replying :|