6800GT or X800Pro?

Originally posted by soundx98

Dang, found out from ecost that the X800Pro I ordered was backordered ANOTHER 30 days.

All the vendors got put off until september 30th as ATI yet again slipped out their

ship date to them on x800's. It sucks but vendors can't ship until ATI gets product

to them to ship.

If you want a 12C-14C drop in die temps with a stock card it is VERY easy. Just get

ATItool .21 or .22 and use it to lock the fan up at 100% speed. The x800 stock fan

speed versus temp curve is 30% fan up to 60C die temp and then the fan speed

STARTS to ramp up from 30% hitting 100% when the die temp is 100C!!! It

doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the card is going to run hot when

the fan is MAYBE running 50% speed during benchmarks lol.

When ATItool lock ups the fan speed it is setup to run as a Windows legacy service

so once it is set you do not have to run ATItool again. The fan speed will go 100%

every time Windows starts until you change it with ATItool again.

Contrary to popular opinion the stock fan is not loud at 100%. You can not hear it

inside a closed case unless you put your ear right up to the case.

Viper

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still happy with my 6800 gt. anyone know if changing the stock thermal compound on the heatsink will allow me to overclock more? i guess what i'm asking is if the thermal compound added at the facory is better than as-5 or not? hearing you guys talk about that x800...... maybe i should a got one. oh well too late now.:shake:

Originally posted by deathadder

still happy with my 6800 gt. anyone know if changing the stock thermal compound on the heatsink will allow me to overclock more? i guess what i'm asking is if the thermal compound added at the facory is better than as-5 or not? hearing you guys talk about that x800...... maybe i should a got one. oh well too late now.:shake:

Not sure what compound is used on the 6800 but unless the application application

job at card assembly was really bad you would see little if any difference in temps

and/or OC by changing to AS5. I prefer Ceramique on large die Vid cards myself and

all my record holding cards were using Ceramique.

The 6800GT is a damn good card. There is no reason to feel like you should have

purchased something else.

Viper

are these instructions for applying "Ceramique" accurate and how you go about doing it?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

nice thing about the radeon would have been the wealth of knowledge available through the members of this forum on them.

getting pretty anxious for the omega drivers based on the latest Nvidia ones to break 60,000 in aquamark.

Originally posted by deathadder

are these instructions for applying "Ceramique" accurate and how you go about doing it?

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique_instructions.htm

nice thing about the radeon would have been the wealth of knowledge available through the members of this forum on them.

getting pretty anxious for the omega drivers based on the latest Nvidia ones to break 60,000 in aquamark.

I use a finger cut off an unpowdered latex surgical glove to apply compounds and

epoxies. You can get a nice even application that way.

Viper