6800GT or X800Pro?

depends on the type of mod, i know a bit, but i'm not recognised for it or anything. it would be better to list what card you have and what you'd like to do, then maybe i can provide a yes or no answer :P hehe.

btw, claims are being made that nvidia has been cheating with hl2... when will it end? nevermind, that was self explanitory, lol.

deathadder: i faught with cs:source for like 3 hours and gave up, apparently i'm too dumb to "manually install" it =

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe yeah apparently me too stupid to get it working too. My video card is the BFG 6800 GT in my sig I've got it running now stably at 415core and 1150 mem but as always faster is definitely better. Have no specific problems doing mods to it but probably as a last resort if at all possible. Anything else would definitely be prefered. Hopefully someone else here will have some insight as to how to get that beta up and running!!

Originally posted by deathadder

Is anyone here as handy at modding Nvidia cards as well as Viper is able to mod ATI's? This card is sure fast but if I wanted stock speeds I guess I wouldn't be a part of this forum now would I?:shake: :D

Actually I do mod NV cards for some of my long standing customers. I just don't advertise

it. They are customs from the machining standpoint on the CPU cooler HS's and ramsinks

which runs the cost up on the NV cards.

Viper

Viper, do you have any kind of numbers for how these gt's have been able to perform when modded? I have definitely heard a lot of good things about your ability to do these mods to ATI cards but was just curious about what kind of performance can be had with one of these.

Frankly I really liked the ATI and NVIDIA's about the same but what kind of swayed me to NVIDIA was curiosity for one (never owned one before) and the support for shader 3.0 which was supposed to increase performance even more (may be wrong definitely not the most knowledgable here) I am just a serious gamer and wanted the investment to be as long lasting as possible.

Viper, do you have any kind of numbers for how these gt's have been able to perform when modded? I have definitely heard a lot of good things about your ability to do these mods to ATI cards but was just curious about what kind of performance can be had with one of these.

Frankly I really liked the ATI and NVIDIA's about the same but what kind of swayed me to NVIDIA was curiosity for one (never owned one before) and the support for shader 3.0 which was supposed to increase performance even more (may be wrong definitely not the most knowledgable here) I am just a serious gamer and wanted the investment to be as long lasting as possible.

No not yet. Would need to do at least 3 or 4 cards before I can speculate as to what

can be reasonably expected on average. You can't base anything on a single card as

the card you start with could range any where from real crap to really outstanding and

with nothing to compare it to ya just don't know.

Pixel Shader 3.0 is a moot point as there isn't anything coded to use it. Typically it

takes at least a year before the game makers start to code to use newer pixel

and/or Vertex shader versions.

Both x800's and 6800 are good fast cards but they need a good fast system to support

them, preferably with at least a gig of memory to support them. Both FarCry and

Doom3 play great for me video display wise with a modded 9800Pro that I do not

even clock up to it's max. That is at 1024x768x32 with high detail. For me going from

a 1/2 gig to 1 gig of system memory has FAR MORE impact than any video card I use.

Either card will last you a very long while for quality gaming. More than likely you

will get the bug to upgrade when the newer cards a year down the road are fast

enough to suck the chips off a x800's or 6800's as they blow by even if the "old"

cards gaming is still excellent by any standard.

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

Both x800's and 6800 are good fast cards but they need a good fast system to support

them, preferably with at least a gig of memory to support them. Both FarCry and

Doom3 play great for me video display wise with a modded 9800Pro that I do not

even clock up to it's max. That is at 1024x768x32 with high detail. For me going from

a 1/2 gig to 1 gig of system memory has FAR MORE impact than any video card I use.

not disagreeing with you or anything, but i really think it depends on the game. 1gb of ram is indeed becoming the standard "minimum" for a gaming pc, and farcry/doom3 definitely are evidence of it. for all practical purposes, getting a gig of ram will help your FPS out a lot (esp for hitching/hangframes), but likely halo2, for example, will probably benefit more from a faster video card (just judging from the first halo on the pc).

Originally posted by Kamel

not disagreeing with you or anything, but i really think it depends on the game. 1gb of ram is indeed becoming the standard "minimum" for a gaming pc, and farcry/doom3 definitely are evidence of it. for all practical purposes, getting a gig of ram will help your FPS out a lot (esp for hitching/hangframes), but likely halo2, for example, will probably benefit more from a faster video card (just judging from the first halo on the pc).

Yeah I meant the newer system memory hungry games like FarCry and Doom 3. Have

never played Halo so I do not have a clue about it.

I think you can pretty much count on future releases being system memory hogs now

that the genie has popped out of the bottle.

Viper

i very much dislike pretty much any console to pc port the graphics and gameplay leave much to be desired. course them console fans probably aren't too happy about pc to console ports at least as far as gameplay goes. I played halo and true crimes streets of l.a. and they were very dissapointing.

yeah i guess a gig of ram would probably be my next major purchase. doom3 definitely seems to want more than 512. any thoughts of some decent mem at a decent price?

Hmmm...You need to define decent as it is a relative term and can vary wildly from one

person to the next lol.

Viper

well i bought these geil pc 4000's figuring that if i tried to o'c the fsb it would definitely not be a memory bottleneck but instead have pretty much found them to be the reason why i can't push the fsb. they don't like tight timings and my mb doesn't seem to like them. i would definitely want to stay at the low $200 dollar side of things if at all possible but have something that would be good with a amd 64 fx board for the future.