6800GT or X800Pro?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Angry_Games

then i'd have only 1 vid card and 5-9 computers...

/me checks VJ's EEG scan to make sure he's functioning correctly lol

Well you would have two vid cards if ya sold three and bought one. Unfortunately

my 3rd grade math still tells me that isn't enough vid cards to go round lol.

Didn't know you had 5-9 computers. Curious about the variable quantity though.

Does that mean you have four that are in a constant state semi disassembled with

components scattered in the various nooks and cranies that you can find to store

them???

Viper

it means i have 5 full time comps that are always fully built and running (1 server + 4 clients), and i have enough parts for 4 more....sorta...sorta short on good vid cards (I dont count GF2MX cards or Voodoo3 cards or FX5200 cards as actual video cards lol), and sorta short on a case or two at the moment...other htan that I have more than enough DDR, CPU, sound cards, hard drives, optical drives, fans, heatsinks, CCFL lights, speakers and power (wall outlets lol).

but even if i had all 9 comps fully built...not sure where the hell i'd put them all!

in fact, I had to build my brother a DFI Infinity 875 (w/1GB DDR 3700, R9700P, Audigy, 160GB + 80GB etc) because I needed to get it running for support, but had no room left or time to use it myself...

then I had to build Jeremy Mylymok, captain of our ECHL Idaho Steelheads hockey team the Infinity 865PE and loan it to him so he could use it daily and I could go over there and stalk...er check it out when needed...

Jeremy_Mylymok.jpg

that still leaves me with a LPA in the box, an Infinity that is built but collecting dust, an older Infinity 875P in the box, and my lovely but unused LP KT400A =/

argh...

(no not bragging...if you had my job you'd have all this crap laying around too driving you crazy because to me its like having 7 Ferrari's and a couple Corvettes or such and not being able to drive them all at once hahaha)

For some reason I am unable to use the Omega Corner drivers for this card. I never had any problems with my ATI's but with this one every time it is in the middle of installing the drivers the screen flashes and when it comes back on the system is locked. I might have to wait until there is a new release of these drivers that hopefully correect these problems. Pretty dog gone happy with this card. I was running doom 3 last night at 1280X1024 with everything maxed out except for quality set to High instead of Ultra and it looked awesome!! Personally if my 9800 Pro's hadn't crapped out and I got a refund from newegg.com I never would have bought it $400 is steep for me as well but $190 is a lot easier to swallow!!

awwww, where's your overclocking nerve gone?

if i had the chance to do it all over, i'd get a 5900xt and voltmod it, then mod the cooling so i could get a card faster than the 9800xt... oh yes. not just for price, but for bragging rights, of course :)

This being my first nvidia and all is there any kind of overclocking slash longer term testing software like ATItool for the nvidia's? The memory may be capable of going higher but i think the core may be maxed out already at least with stock hardware that is.

i'm stoopit, i thought you meant you got a 9800pro for $190... now that i re-read that post i understand it, lol.

i still want to get a 5900xt even if i buy a new card, i wouldn't mind getting 27K 3dmarks with a 5900xt, lmao.

400 core still? that's odd, i guess you got one that doesn't overclock as high :(.

I tried the coolbits software in the nvidia driver but i don't think it stresses the card long enough to give an accurate o/c. when i forst tried it it said 430 and 1100. after playing games i would get lock ups and just wanted to know if there was another tool like that to overclock and test withought actually going inot a game.

that's unfortunately a technicality. you can indeed use powerstrip which doesn't do the little test. basically, all the little test is for is making sure your card dont explode. powerstrip does no test. on my card, i can actually overclock to 620core stable with powerstrip, whereas i fail the tests after 598mhz core.

this doesn't apply to all cards of course, just saying that little test thing is junky. i'd say try for 424/1170 -- this is where my friend found his stable, then go from there. not saying that your card will be the same of course, just saying start there and see what happens.

also, the reason why this is a technicality is because the fx+ nvidia cards have 2d and 3d mode. in the desktop you're running in 2d mode. in the game you're running in 3d mode. the overclock doesn't even apply until you're in a game. the best way i've found for testing in real-time is opening winamp with a directx visualization (such as milkdrop) running and testing it then.

good luck.

Originally posted by Kamel

awwww, where's your overclocking nerve gone?

if i had the chance to do it all over, i'd get a 5900xt and voltmod it, then mod the cooling so i could get a card faster than the 9800xt... oh yes. not just for price, but for bragging rights, of course :)

Getting a card faster than a 9800XT wasn't to hard. A typical modded R350 Core/ Sammy

8E-GCxx chipped card would usually bury the typical modded 9800XT. R360's typically do

not OC worth worth a damn.

Viper