Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Wondering what differences between TW and China boards???


  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#25 SAE

SAE

    Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:36 AM

Originally posted by elts_drac
BTW my China board is BLACK not brownish as the first post states.



You just see it when comparing them. I first also thought it's black ;)

It's a quite new China board btw... Nb 0402, sb 0407. But it sucks anyway... :(

#26 ViperJohn

ViperJohn

    Certified Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:29 AM

Originally posted by SAE
Hmm. I can take them out (unsolder :D ) but I have no way to measure them :(


Many DVM's from about $60 and up have a capacitance measuring function that and are
reasonably accurate on caps of 1uf or lower in value. On higher value electrolytics they
are pretty much useless except for open/shorted detection due to the low test voltage.
For them you really need a regular capacitance meter to get accurate readings.

Viper

#27 dreiu

dreiu

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:44 AM

Originally posted by SAE
You just see it when comparing them. I first also thought it's black ;)

It's a quite new China board btw... Nb 0402, sb 0407. But it sucks anyway... :(



Why do you say that it sucks?

#28 SAE

SAE

    Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:03 AM

Originally posted by dreiu
Why do you say that it sucks?



Cause it does nothing near my TW boards in fsb and cpu clocks.

Additionally it dropped sound even at 200 and 166MHz fsb when at 3GHz... (Far Cry)

That's it...

#29 dreiu

dreiu

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:28 AM

Originally posted by SAE
Cause it does nothing near my TW boards in fsb and cpu clocks.

Additionally it dropped sound even at 200 and 166MHz fsb when at 3GHz... (Far Cry)

That's it...



Well I guess cheaper production = cheaper products = unhappy custommers. Good job DFI.

#30 SAE

SAE

    Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 04:43 AM

Originally posted by dreiu
Well I guess cheaper production = cheaper products = unhappy custommers. Good job DFI.



Yeah. But I find TW boards rock... that's the board that's superior to the other socket a boards. But DFI "noobs" only see LP B/Infinity, buy it and getting a China-fabricated one they're spreading around it sucks... that's also kinda unfair to DFI IMHO. (That's what happend over at AMDMB too... but it does not get us anywhere, just gets us angry :( )

#31 d-mart

d-mart

    New Member

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:18 AM

Why am I experiencing differently than most ppl here? :)
My first board is TW, after RMA I get China one.

Physically it's almost identical, judging from physical appearance I can say china build looks *cheap* or maybe less QC than TW board. Some front audio pins bent and a little bit raised from PCB. Socket is flat though. One very weird thing that differentiate my China and TW board is this 1 little cap near that little ram mosfets? Located right next to DIMMs, middle of the board. This one cap looks like it has been soldered last minute, directly to 2 mosfets feet. There is no hole on the PCB, this caps directly soldered to the mosfets feet. I don't have that on my TW board, I was wondering does anybody have this weird caps?

Anyway on overclocking matter, my china board is better than tw board. VDIMM voltage tends to overvoltage a bit, while tw is undervolt a bit. VCORE is very stable, much much more stable than tw board that tends to undervolt/fluctuate a lot. China board also react differently with bios than tw. Tw board won't accept anything other than 1/21, china board accept almost any version 1/31, 2/17. FSB overclocking is the same, I'm limited on my ram, but based on how higher and much stable voltage, I'm very sure it will be better on china board.

My conclusion will be although china build looks cheaper and less QC, but it get the job done, and done it better than better looking TW board :D

#32 SAE

SAE

    Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:12 AM

That cap between the first two ram mosfets has been there on these boards for over 6months now... it helps stabilizing the vdimm. (you can measure vdimm at the back of the first ram mosfet)

#33 dreiu

dreiu

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 05:37 PM

Originally posted by SAE
Yeah. But I find TW boards rock... that's the board that's superior to the other socket a boards. But DFI "noobs" only see LP B/Infinity, buy it and getting a China-fabricated one they're spreading around it sucks... that's also kinda unfair to DFI IMHO. (That's what happend over at AMDMB too... but it does not get us anywhere, just gets us angry :( )



So, it's not that all of the China boards suck... just some, like the one you had (and the dead one that arrived to me). I hope that noob comment wasnt directed at me.

My first DFI was a China board, and I had not even acknowledged that until it was dead. But it was a super OC'er while it was alive, it just worries me to hear people complain about this kind of stuff. Makes me a little insecure about what to buy anymore.

#34 ViperJohn

ViperJohn

    Certified Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1614 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:17 PM

Originally posted by dreiu
So, it's not that all of the China boards suck... just some, like the one you had (and the dead one that arrived to me). I hope that noob comment wasnt directed at me.

My first DFI was a China board, and I had not even acknowledged that until it was dead. But it was a super OC'er while it was alive, it just worries me to hear people complain about this kind of stuff. Makes me a little insecure about what to buy anymore.


The particular NB a board gets is a bigger factor than where the boards are made. The
memory controllers in some NB's will simply run faster than in others. The AGP controller and
the HD controller have the same situation going on too. Just like CPU's not all NB's will OC the
same with some doing better than others.

Remember we are WAY over the design limit of what is basically a 3 year old NB design.

Viper


Viper

#35 P-nut

P-nut

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:57 PM

I'm enjoying my China board, no problems at all.

#36 SAE

SAE

    Geek

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 03:27 AM

Originally posted by dreiu
So, it's not that all of the China boards suck... just some, like the one you had (and the dead one that arrived to me). I hope that noob comment wasnt directed at me.

My first DFI was a China board, and I had not even acknowledged that until it was dead. But it was a super OC'er while it was alive, it just worries me to hear people complain about this kind of stuff. Makes me a little insecure about what to buy anymore.



Yeah. I know not all suck, but these China boards I had (6 Infinities, 2 LP B) sucked all :( I mean comparing them to my two TW LP B (1 dead, best board, toaster board ;) )... the best board had a NB week 37, the current old TW LP has week 22. It does not like running it at 1.8Vdd or 1.9Vdd. My week 37 wanted to run only at 1.9V with max fsb... that's how boards can differ. :)

I am getting another TW board tomorrow, maybe. So I will compare these two.

Viper, the NB thing could be very right, but it seems the older NBs are going better, just more stable and the TW board's quality supports that ;)

I am only saying, the China board's quality sucked for me (and some of my friends here in Germany, and other forums)... they weren't able to run comparable settings (CPU and FSB!) and sometimes just died without mods... and I know how to hotflash or recover a board... :P