Hi all - OCZ memory trouble

I wouldn't necessarily say you should switch. Both boards are virtually identical design wise with the LP just having extra features. Both boards on AVERAGE will hit nearly identical scores, so you aren't going to see a huge difference in the OC unless you get one of the truly special boards thats totally righteous.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Winston

Originally posted by OCZTony

The only bios I have found to be any good was the 4/29 or later.Both AndyT and my self have continued to run tests on the DFI with mobile bartons and we do feel some of the issue is infact due to the cpu. I have Standard unlocked Bartons here and they work better and show less isssues on the board although they don't clock as high.

For the record i have 2x2500 mobiles and 2x 2500 standard unlocked Bartons.

Andy has both the Infinity and Lanparty boards and has tested on both. I have the LP here. Andy has found his Infinity to be nowhere near as good as the LP and my LP is better than Andy's although not by much.His LP clocks his EB very close to 250fsb with CPC enabled(512dimms) where his infinity with the same cpu etc does around 230 tops.I have hit 250+ with my LP with EB and 270 with 4200EL all with CPC enabled...so you need a good board to hit the high clocks

I feel we are still seeing bios issues or we are just expecting way to much from the NF2 chipset and Oskars bios files.Upto 220fsb the boards are VERY solid and this is always where i end up clocking down to after my testing as it just seems to like running there. Also my board does not have any cold boot issues or anything else you guys report on the forums..it is an old board and was supplied to me by DFI, whether this means anything i don't know.

So if your seeing overclocking issues it would be nice to see if you had a standard unlocked desktop Barton whether the same issues would be apparant...

Hmm - might switch my board for a Lanparty then ?

The Untra Infinity and LP are the same board with the exception of the LP having a second GigaBit

Lan, UV Reactive sockets, on board Start & Reset switches, and the Diagnostic LEDS. Both the

switches and the LEDs can be added to an UI if you are so inclined as the solder pads for them

are there. The other difference is in the LP's rounded cables and software bundle.

I would say OCZTony has a really below average NB on his UI. You can't get around the luck

of the draw no matter who your are LOL!!!

"I feel we are still seeing bios issues or we are just expecting way to much from the NF2

chipset and Oskars bios files."

Maybe but it sure looks like an issue with the chips used on the EB sticks. The LP's and UI's are

having no problem with BH or CH chipped sticks reaching high FBS speeds. Of course those chips

are no longer available so alternates MUST be found that will FSB well.

Just for FYI I had some old (about 18 -20 months or so) OCZ PC3200 CAS2 Rev2 (2x256) performance

sticks P/N - OCZ400256R2 (not EL's) back from my old POS A7N8X (both a R1.04 and R2.0) days

that would not run over 206 in either A7N8X. On a whim I tossed em into my DFI UI with the

12/18 beta and bingo they ran DC at 240FSB at 11,3,3,2,2 timings with 3.200 Vdimm no problem.

I have no idea what chips OCZ used on those sticks but if you can find them they are usually

dirt cheap!!!

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

The Untra Infinity and LP are the same board with the exception of the LP having a second GigaBit

Lan, UV Reactive sockets, on board Start & Reset switches, and the Diagnostic LEDS. Both the

switches and the LEDs can be added to an UI if you are so inclined as the solder pads for them

are there. The other difference is in the LP's rounded cables and software bundle.

Viper

You contradicted yourself, said they are the same board but then named off 5 differences in them.

Originally posted by anchorman

You contradicted yourself, said they are the same board but then named off 5 differences in them.

Not really. Except for the GigaBit Lan the hardware is the same and the differences are purely

cosmetic and/or bells/whistles. The UI even has the GB Lan chip solder pads and traces so if you

wanted you could add the chip, the missing regulator, the associated SMD's, change the dual USB

I/O header to a dual USB/Lan I/O header and you could have that too with a bios flash.

Viper

Winston

Please read the PC3700 EB thread in this forum. I got bashed quite a bit, but I put some recommendations for bios settings there. Use the 5/5/ bios for the results you want, and follow my recommendations. Let me know how it goes.

I see you have posted at www.bleedinedge.com in our official support forums. Come back and we will see where you are in your testing. As always, we want to help :) I am always testing and may have some new advice.

Originally posted by AndyOCZ

Winston

Please read the PC3700 EB thread in this forum. I got bashed quite a bit, but I put some recommendations for bios settings there. Use the 5/5/ bios for the results you want, and follow my recommendations. Let me know how it goes.

I see you have posted at www.bleedingedge.com in our official support forums. Come back and we will see where you are in your testing. As always, we want to help :) I am always testing and may have some new advice.

That appears to be a bad link.

Viper

Viperjohn

I gave my UI to Mikki at BE as a gift..i kept my LP.Both are stunning boards, both were supplied by DFI to me for evaluation.

I have had next to zero issues with the boards with regard to cold boots, warm boots etc etc to the point im now bored with them..thats why i gave one away ;)

We all need to remember here boards clock ram, the ram does NOT clock its self.Some boards actually prefere different modules to another..i know this as i have had close on 50 boards now if not more and you get a feel for whats working and whats not while testing...I actaully have an IC7 that loves Bh5 and EB but runs like a dog with CH5...so much for winbond being the ultimate compatible chip.

Also im still seeing new ddr1 boards being tweaked to use BH5 on the first bios release or reviewer bios ;)...all bios files there after are a compromise on this it seems.We need bios engineers to look past BH5 and move onto what we can buy now..then we will see progress.

Here is an example..VIA recently released a 939 dual channel mobo to reviewers, the board was fast as long as you used BH5. It took me modding the bios to get it to boot with anything else and once modded the board hit its 255fsb max with ease...the problem was ram timings at boot ...nothing more.

To the uneducated you would have thought the board was fast at 200fsb ish but overclocked like a dog..this wasn't actaully the case...it hit 255 at 2.5-2-2 with EB which is pretty impressive.

So to conclude...NF2..we expect to much from it, even i did for a while.

Originally posted by OCZTony

Viperjohn

I gave my UI to Mikki at BE as a gift..i kept my LP.Both are stunning boards, both were supplied by DFI to me for evaluation.

I have had next to zero issues with the boards with regard to cold boots, warm boots etc etc to the point im now bored with them..thats why i gave one away ;)

We all need to remember here boards clock ram, the ram does NOT clock its self.Some boards actually prefere different modules to another..i know this as i have had close on 50 boards now if not more and you get a feel for whats working and whats not while testing...I actaully have an IC7 that loves Bh5 and EB but runs like a dog with CH5...so much for winbond being the ultimate compatible chip.

Also im still seeing new ddr1 boards being tweaked to use BH5 on the first bios release or reviewer bios ;)...all bios files there after are a compromise on this it seems.We need bios engineers to look past BH5 and move onto what we can buy now..then we will see progress.

Here is an example..VIA recently released a 939 dual channel mobo to reviewers, the board was fast as long as you used BH5. It took me modding the bios to get it to boot with anything else and once modded the board hit its 255fsb max with ease...the problem was ram timings at boot ...nothing more.

To the uneducated you would have thought the board was fast at 200fsb ish but overclocked like a dog..this wasn't actaully the case...it hit 255 at 2.5-2-2 with EB which is pretty impressive.

So to conclude...NF2..we expect to much from it, even i did for a while.

Dang now that was cool of you!

I think the real issue now is the NFII chipset is simply old technology. It wasn't designed

to run anywhere near where we are trying to push the poor things and if it wasn't for some bios

magic we wouldn't be anywhere near the FSB speeds where we are running now with any memory.

When you are running at the very outer limits of the chipset design in ability you are going to get

all kinds of perfomance differences with seemingly insignificant changes. Even when the NB

chips were made seems to be a factor. I have two relatively late build UI's (China's) that can't

FSB DC over about 253-254 no matter what Vmods or cooling is thrown at them. I am sitting

here typing this with a about a 4 month old UI build (Taiwan) and its perfectly content at 257 FSB DC

with the same CPU and memory the other MB were tested with.

I haven't found the upper limit of this NB yet but I know I gotta be close without any Vmods except

Vdimm.

BTW Tony what chips were used on the old OCZ PC3200 CAS2 Rev2 perfomance sticks??? I tossed

about a 20 month or so old pair of 2x256's PC3200 Rev2's into this MB and theywould do 240 FSB DC

at 3.3Vdimm with 11,3,3,2,2 timings. You can still buy those thing on the web for less than $60 a

stick (256Mb)!!!

Viper

Originally posted by ViperJohn

Dang now that was cool of you!

I think the real issue now is the NFII chipset is simply old technology. It wasn't designed

to run anywhere near where we are trying to push the poor things and if it wasn't for some bios

magic we wouldn't be anywhere near the FSB speeds where we are running now with any memory.

When you are running at the very outer limits of the chipset design in ability you are going to get

all kinds of perfomance differences with seemingly insignificant changes. Even when the NB

chips were made seems to be a factor. I have two relatively late build UI's (China's) that can't

FSB DC over about 253-254 no matter what Vmods or cooling is thrown at them. I am sitting

here typing this with a about a 4 month old UI build (Taiwan) and its perfectly content at 257 FSB DC

with the same CPU and memory the other MB were tested with.

I haven't found the upper limit of this NB yet but I know I gotta be close without any Vmods except

Vdimm.

BTW Tony what chips were used on the old OCZ PC3200 CAS2 Rev2 perfomance sticks??? I tossed

about a 20 month or so old pair of 2x256's PC3200 Rev2's into this MB and theywould do 240 FSB DC

at 3.3Vdimm with 11,3,3,2,2 timings. You can still buy those thing on the web for less than $60 a

stick (256Mb)!!!

Viper

Going off your timings they look like Bh5 although i doubt it.I have a feeling they are the old samsung CTL CB3 2700 that everyone was using alsthough I still could be wrong.

some of the older modules somr retailers still have are worth investigating now afain as ram clocking on boards has jumped from what it was 20months ago.