Jump to content

Hi all - OCZ memory trouble


Recommended Posts

I've been having this trouble with my memory and never really figured it out

 

I was searching on the OCZ forum and came across this guy and his problems

 

OCZ

 

They are exactly the same as what i've been experiencing

 

I've posted towards the end of this thread but the problems i am experiencing are in the first post made by Rivachez

 

Can anybody shine any light or experience onto this subject as i might have to sell up :eek:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the last PC3200 512x2 Platinum Limited Edition batch that was sold. They had gone through hand testing on the Abit IC7 with cross compatibility testing done on the Asus A7N8X. It has come up that the latest versions of the BH5/BH6 sold by Winbond had issues on some Nforce2 based motherboards. Unfortunately there is no way to resolve this immediate problem because there is no new source for these ICs to obtain a batch without problems. If you contact our support at [email protected] I am sure they will offer you other OCZ products that are comparible/better than the product you purchased to try and offer you something you will be satisfied with. I hope this is an acceptable solution for you. If this does not work out, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will get it resolved in any way possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:) I read the entire front page of that link you gave and I don't think you and that poster have the same problems. He was using an OcZ version that was BH-6 and you are showing EB memory in your signature. The technology behind those two different types of memory are supposedly light years apart in theory.

 

The poster admitted that his 2x512 sticks worked and passed memtest at the memories rated speeds of DDR400 in DC with the two sticks in. His memory ran dead flat smooth on its' ratings. What is wrong with that?

 

Ah ha, overclocking. Anybody warranty that? Humh? Sounds to me like he got exactly what OcZ sold him as advertised. DDR400 memory that passed testing and ran.

 

Do I like those results? Do not be silly. I am an overclocker like many of you.

 

Let me tell you a story and maybe you will get a little insight into the memory delimna. I have written 3 memory manufacturers over the last 10 days. I explained who I was and where my interests lay in procuring some memory to test on the DFI Ultra Infinity and the LPb mother boards. I did not lie or mis-represent the fact that I was looking for memory that hauled some serious booty on the two boards in question. I told them that I would run them at "their techs" recommended settings and that although my positioning as mod here would preclude me making an out-right recommend; my memory of choice would be prominently displayed in my signature and that if asked I would reply the brand of memory that I in fact was running.

 

Of course we have just had some holidays in the UsA but in general guess what answer I have received so far? What did you guess? You said I had 12 sticks of memory coming for test, right? Booooong aaahooooga. Wrong answer man. Nada. No RE yet. Zippo RE. HEhehehehehe. And just a short time ago had contact with another brand of memory manufacturer and they did not want in the dog and pony show either. See no one yet that I am aware of for real and that would be 95% of the time in my mind, has any memory they wish to say will make the DFI sisters bask in the sun at 240FSB. Nope no one of whom I am aware. At least not for general sale to the public; that I can find. Nope. But I am still searching. There may be some one step up to the plate but as of this time, I see no real died in the wool DFI sisters memory that you can just plug and go and shoot the moon like I have done so with my now no longer manufactured BH-5.

 

I will be so glad when my BH-5 does its job in Taiwan for DFI R&D and Oskar sorts the cold boot and all of that. Maybe just maybe I will see my little blue-skirted darlings back and they can go running in the 250FSB range again for "me". Hehehehhe. Until that time and as long as my buddy does not raise hale about me returning the two sticks I borrowed from him> I will as they say run on "borrowed" timings. Hehehehehehe. And in the background as I always do, will try to help. I will write some more companies and see if they are swingers at the plate. I will scour the online retailers sites and browse forums looking for the next best thing to BH-5. And as ole Paul says, "now you know the rest of the story".

 

Sincerely, RGone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by OCZGuy

On the last PC3200 512x2 Platinum Limited Edition batch that was sold. They had gone through hand testing on the Abit IC7 with cross compatibility testing done on the Asus A7N8X. It has come up that the latest versions of the BH5/BH6 sold by Winbond had issues on some Nforce2 based motherboards. Unfortunately there is no way to resolve this immediate problem because there is no new source for these ICs to obtain a batch without problems. If you contact our support at [email protected] I am sure they will offer you other OCZ products that are comparible/better than the product you purchased to try and offer you something you will be satisfied with. I hope this is an acceptable solution for you. If this does not work out, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I will get it resolved in any way possible.

 

I'm running the EB modules.

Is it possible that these have the same compatibility issues?

 

Or is it just me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Winston

I'm running the EB modules.

Is it possible that these have the same compatibility issues?

 

Or is it just me?

 

The PC3200EB should work on the system you have. If you are unable to run 2.5-3-2-8 which are spec timings for the PC3200EB at 200FSB/400MHz memory speed (knowing that your processor is not the limit) then you require an RMA, which you can obtain by contacting [email protected].

 

Just make sure your board/cpu is capable of running at 200FSB by either lowering the multiplier on the cpu if adjustment is available or setting the cpu to 200FSB and lowering the memory frequency. If the errors go away in memtest when the memory is running at lower than 400mhz while still at 200FSB then it is likely a memory problem. Let me know, thanks.

 

EDIT:

Just noticed your processor, although I am not too familiar with the mobile 2500, I have heard from our support personell Tony that there is a mod trick to make the processor work much better at 200FSB. I will contact Tony to clarify this point if you had not already done such a mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by OCZGuy

The PC3200EB should work on the system you have. If you are unable to run 2.5-3-2-8 which are spec timings for the PC3200EB at 200FSB/400MHz memory speed (knowing that your processor is not the limit) then you require an RMA, which you can obtain by contacting [email protected].

 

Just make sure your board/cpu is capable of running at 200FSB by either lowering the multiplier on the cpu if adjustment is available or setting the cpu to 200FSB and lowering the memory frequency. If the errors go away in memtest when the memory is running at lower than 400mhz while still at 200FSB then it is likely a memory problem. Let me know, thanks.

 

EDIT:

Just noticed your processor, although I am not too familiar with the mobile 2500, I have heard from our support personell Tony that there is a mod trick to make the processor work much better at 200FSB. I will contact Tony to clarify this point if you had not already done such a mod.

 

Hi thx for quick reply

 

I'm running the L12 mod which is the modification you mention?

 

I can run fine at 200FSB and the memory is fine at stock timings - thank you

 

 

It's just i'm having strange problems with overclocking this RAM?

 

My problems are the same as in this thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Winston

Hi thx for quick reply

 

I'm running the L12 mod which is the modification you mention?

 

I can run fine at 200FSB and the memory is fine at stock timings - thank you

 

 

It's just i'm having strange problems with overclocking this RAM?

 

My problems are the same as in this thread

 

What is the maximum memory frequency you can achieve with both 2.5-3-2 and 2.5-2-2 timings? Please set the voltage to 2.8V when overclocking on this system. Need to know your overclock limits before I can know what exactly your "overclocking problem" is ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have reached 220FSB using 3volts on the RAM at timings of 11-2-2-2.5 with CPC enabled

 

But if i disable CPC it doesn't allow me any higher at all?

 

I belived with CPC on you are still good for a few FSB by disabling it?

 

Do you understand the workings of CPC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Winston

I've been having this trouble with my memory and never really figured it out

 

I was searching on the OCZ forum and came across this guy and his problems

 

OCZ

 

They are exactly the same as what i've been experiencing

 

I've posted towards the end of this thread but the problems i am experiencing are in the first post made by Rivachez

 

Can anybody shine any light or experience onto this subject as i might have to sell up :eek:

 

Two very different issues. The buy at Bleeding Edge could probably have solved his problem fairly

simply with a timing change to 11,3,3,2,2 with his BH6 sticks and maybe uping the Vdimm depending

on how high he wanted to run the FSB. You can't get hung up on the X,2,2,2 (or X,2,2,2,2 in DFI's

case) timings as even many, maybe most, sets of BH5 can't run them stable at high FSB speeds.

 

It sounds like may your EB's are not up to snuff. Running with CPC disabled will put a BIG dent in

your Graphics perfomance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think right now everyone is hanging their OC hat on the new samsung 4ns chips as the sucessor to the BH-5/CH-5. Does anyone have any "preview" testing links or are we just keeping our fingers crossed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by elts_drac

I think right now everyone is hanging their OC hat on the new samsung 4ns chips as the sucessor to the BH-5/CH-5. Does anyone have any "preview" testing links or are we just keeping our fingers crossed?

 

With the new Samsungs, as far as I know, they were initially produced for 250 fsb, but Samsung accidentally found out that they're capable of 2-2-2 at 200 fsb while testing. People at xtremesystems speculate that with high voltage, the BH-5/6 or OCZ EB series still would take crown from the new Samsungs. However (although I've not specifically searched), still no real user experience of overclocking them with 3+ volts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winston, have you contacted a tech at OCZ yet? Don't be afraid to push it to 3.0v (and beyond if you have active cooling). Mine works great and has no problems, and that is just with passive cooling. Just to let you know that this memory does indeed work fine with this mobo;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...