Lanparty problem : pc locks up.

Guest jaco_merged

Guest jaco

Hello all,

I'm having trouble with my Lanparty mobo.

My pc locks up (or freezes) after some time (sometimes after 15 min , sometimes after a few hours) , even at stock settings !

My everyday setting 230*11 is 'stable' , I pass memtest , can run 3dmark , super_pi , seti@home. Just after a while it locks up.

I tried many many biossettings , I've yet to find a solution.

My voltages seem low when I check them with MBM5 or hw doctor (3,3V line is at 3.18V-3.23V ) So I changed my chieftec 360 W PSU for a Superflower 420W. No improvement at all.

Now I've read that it might be related to faulty IDE drivers ? I have a WD 80 Gb pata disk.

Can someone tell me which are the bad IDE drivers , and the good ones ?

Other suggestions are more than welcome !

I might try to up the voltage lines of my PSU , maybe that's a solution ?

Please help as I'm running out of options...

-jaco

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the SW-IDE drivers in teh NV chipset are the 'bad' drivers for a lot of users. You should uninstall the chipset drivers, reinstall (try the latest ones too) and when prompted to install the SW-IDE drivers, choose NO.

also keep track of temps, make sure you have latest critical updates for windows etc.

Guest jaco

I recently downloaded the drivers from nvidia.com , I thought I didn't install the IDE drivers, but now I'm not so sure :(

I will uninstall / reinstall the drivers again , see if that's a solution.

Temps should be OK (watercooled) , I also have a fan blowing over the NB.

-jaco

Guest jaco

Ok I installed latest nvidia drivers , installed Nforce drivers (except IDE), some windows updates. Some changes in bios CPU thermal throttling 50% , AGP fastwrites enabled.

So far , so good , I have been running Seti@home for 8 hours , no crashes! (Currently at 220*11 2-2-2-2-2-11 eefe)

thanks !

-jaco

Correction : cpu thermal throttling OFF ,AGP fastwrites off

Guest jaco

problem not solved . Computer freezes after a while no matter what settings. I tried 220*10,5 , 210*10,5 , 200*12 , 200*11 , 166*14 same thing. Even at 133*15 , my computer freezes :mad:

I'm done with this board , I 'll try to RMA it , otherwise i'll sell it on ebay.

-jaco

Guest jaco

at 230*11 , vcore 1,85 , agp 1,6 , chipset 1,7 , mem 3,1

that worked for a while (memtest , 3dm, super_pi, sandra ok)

next tried 227*11 same settings , memory 3.0v , freezes after a while. 220*11 vcore 1,775 , mem 2,9 same thing. Memory is twinmos winbond bh-5 2*256 timings 2-2-2-2-11 eefe.

OK those voltages should be plenty. I was thinking you might be running your memory low (voltwise) for 230fsb. That's about where you have to start giving it a lot more juice.

I ran mine at 230 x 11 and then turned everything down to see what the minimums would be to still run it (may be slightly diff. on mine) and got vcore 1.775, agp 1.6, chipset 1.6, mem 3.0 (i had it lower on vcore and mem, but after 20 min. i did get a lock up, so this is lowest STABLE). I learned a little something at this speed, because with 230 x 7, it easily ran vcore 1.65, agp 1.6, vdd 1.6, and mem 2.6. As soon as I use that x 11 multiplier, all bets are off, and I needed 3.0 volts on mem and almost 1.8 vcore.

When you say "locks up (or freezes)" do you mean the computer locks up (screen goes black, bombs out of windows, BSOD, error page) --- or is your Windows just freezing in place?

As you know, often a complete lock up can be associated with more volts needed to CPU or CPU just maxed out. Windows "freezing" (like at the desktop and nothing works) and you usually want to look at volts to memory. So if you haven't already I might:

1) Test one stick at a time of your BH-5 with memtest, at the speed you had trouble with over time (230). (unless you did that b4)( I know you memtested at 230, but with 1 stick at a time?)

2) Use one stick at a time and in different slots (to make sure you didn't have 1 stick good and 1 stick bad and didn't know it)

3) Try 3.2v or even 3.3v

4) 11-3-3-2 2.0 (or even 2.5)

The funny thing here is 230 x 11 runs stable and then over 'time' it goes out on you.

1) How hot do those chips just south of the dimm slots get? Especially that vdimm one? Thought of ramsinking it or temporarily putting a fan on it? (long shot). You're water cooling, but did you neglect your case temps? Got some fans in there? "Over time" problems sometimes points to a heat build up.

CPU and memory have a relationship at higher frontsidebus, as you know, so I was going to suggest actually lowering your CPU volts, in case you had that 1.85v sensitivity. I see, however, that you already tried 1.775volts.

2) What about another stick of memory? Any friends handy? :)

3) What bios? You could try 1/21 then 1/31 as a last resort if you are still on 11/27. 11/27 ran flaky with me. Some have had many things cleared up with those two. Just as a last resort, cause I'd just hate to see you with a bad flash on top of a problem that is already bugging you.

4) Wouldn't have anything to do with your WD, would it? Sometimes WD likes CS (cableselect) better. Some HDs need 'Single', not 'Master'. Weirder things have happened then going out of data sync over time. Maybe someone running WD same as you has some input on this?

What makes it go out over time? If it's 'freezing', I'd be looking at all things memory first. Reseating memory, different slots, one at a time, etc. -- If it's 'bombing' on you I'd reseat the CPU again.

OK, I'm stumped, but maybe the fact it runs for a time, THEN goes south will be something somebody remembers seeing. And it does it at STOCK speeds too, that ain't right.

You'll get it.

Guest jaco
Originally posted by BTank

When you say "locks up (or freezes)" do you mean the computer locks up (screen goes black, bombs out of windows, BSOD, error page) --- or is your Windows just freezing in place?

-> windows freezing in place , most of the time together with an endless beep , until you hit reset.

As you know, often a complete lock up can be associated with more volts needed to CPU or CPU just maxed out. Windows "freezing" (like at the desktop and nothing works) and you usually want to look at volts to memory. So if you haven't already I might:

1) Test one stick at a time of your BH-5 with memtest, at the speed you had trouble with over time (230). (unless you did that b4)( I know you memtested at 230, but with 1 stick at a time?)

2) Use one stick at a time and in different slots (to make sure you didn't have 1 stick good and 1 stick bad and didn't know it)

3) Try 3.2v or even 3.3v

4) 11-3-3-2 2.0 (or even 2.5)

The funny thing here is 230 x 11 runs stable and then over 'time' it goes out on you.

1) How hot do those chips just south of the dimm slots get? Especially that vdimm one? Thought of ramsinking it or temporarily putting a fan on it? (long shot). You're water cooling, but did you neglect your case temps? Got some fans in there? "Over time" problems sometimes points to a heat build up.

-> Case temps are not optimal , good point. I will test 1 stick memory and try extra cooling

CPU and memory have a relationship at higher frontsidebus, as you know, so I was going to suggest actually lowering your CPU volts, in case you had that 1.85v sensitivity. I see, however, that you already tried 1.775volts.

2) What about another stick of memory? Any friends handy? :)

3) What bios? You could try 1/21 then 1/31 as a last resort if you are still on 11/27. 11/27 ran flaky with me. Some have had many things cleared up with those two. Just as a last resort, cause I'd just hate to see you with a bad flash on top of a problem that is already bugging you.

-> currently bios 1/31 dunno what the original bios was , but i tried 4/29 , 2/15 , didn't solve it.

4) Wouldn't have anything to do with your WD, would it? Sometimes WD likes CS (cableselect) better. Some HDs need 'Single', not 'Master'. Weirder things have happened then going out of data sync over time. Maybe someone running WD same as you has some input on this?

What makes it go out over time? If it's 'freezing', I'd be looking at all things memory first. Reseating memory, different slots, one at a time, etc. -- If it's 'bombing' on you I'd reseat the CPU again.

OK, I'm stumped, but maybe the fact it runs for a time, THEN goes south will be something somebody remembers seeing. And it does it at STOCK speeds too, that ain't right.

You'll get it. [/b]

Thanks for your input , I will do more testing with another hd / memory and maybe cpu , with better board-cooling.

-jaco

Hi Jaco, and everyone else,

I too have/am suffering from this same problem. Although my freezes happening less often than when I first booted up, its still causing headaches.

I started off by eliminating the Nvidia IDE controller, it helped for a while, but still froze but less frequent.

Next I tried the bios updated to the official 11/27 version, yup still hung.

Then I found AG's link to he's site showing the bios settings he used, mostof them I switched with a few exceptions already configured Raid so I left it and cpu settings at stock (XP 3200 CPU) so I left that and the fsb stayed at 200 with a multiplyer at 11 the core voltage is 1.6 in this mode (appaerently) but I upped it to 1.775 I also upped the AGP voltage to 1.7 also.

only had one freeze since (while burning a DVD) so I too will be looking at my Ram voltage I left the Ram at standard manufactures setting Geil 8,4,4,2.5 and voltage is at Auto mode...

I will be following this thread with great interest and if I find the final solution (no I'm not gasing this rig..LOL) I'll post back

goodluck Jaco

Tristan