Yes, Its Upgrade Time, Once Again.

Ste

How many people are planning on upgrading (to R700 or G200)?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do when these new cards are released?

• Purchase (a)n ATi R700 based board (4850, 4870, etc)
    • Purchase (a)n nVidia G200 based board (260, 280, etc)
    • Undecided, will purchase based on reviews and Benchmarks
    • Will Not purchase, sticking to current Video card

Actually I am a real math person, I look at performence per dollar spent, thats why I am really disapointed with the 280's...

:(

I agree. You don't see enough performance-per-dollar analysis in current reviews of products like this. Sure, nvidia set the bar higher for max performance, but at what price? It's funny to read comments on DailyTech or something like that where people say that ATi is going to go under because they can't get the big-dog performance crown back. People love to read about those big-dog cards, but at the end of the day most of them go home and buy a mid-range card for their systems. That's where the profits are. And luckily for ATi, that seems to be where their next line of cards is aimed. I'm very interested to see how their reasonably priced cards come in performance wise.

Yea, If I had to purchase A single video card solution right now I would have to go with a GX2... If the GTX280's sold for 500 USD like some people thought, it would be like the universe ending, and it would be awesome..

I agree. You don't see enough performance-per-dollar analysis in current reviews of products like this. Sure, nvidia set the bar higher for max performance, but at what price? It's funny to read comments on DailyTech or something like that where people say that ATi is going to go under because they can't get the big-dog performance crown back. People love to read about those big-dog cards, but at the end of the day most of them go home and buy a mid-range card for their systems. That's where the profits are. And luckily for ATi, that seems to be where their next line of cards is aimed. I'm very interested to see how their reasonably priced cards come in performance wise.

Agree completely

That is why i get annoyed with the PC Gaming Industry. They keep creating games for computer systems in the future of these future video cards "we" are waiting on. Yet at the end of the day, the people who DO happen to buy these super expensive high performance parts probably don't even make 1% of the market (guessing based on PC Game sales). Most gamers will buy the video card a tier or two down from these. And then the general public at large will buy a card even further down the hierarchy.

I always preferred nVidia's for its drivers. They just seem more stable more times than not and always liked how they tried to keep 1 driver for all their cards. I always preferred ATi's for their price to performance. If we could merge the two companies to where they kept all the good sides and then introduced new competition to keep them honest, I'd be all for it.

Yea, If I had to purchase A single video card solution right now I would have to go with a GX2... If the GTX280's sold for 500 USD like some people thought, it would be like the universe ending, and it would be awesome..

Yeah that what I was hoping for. The rumors about lower prices was making the GTX 280 somewhat appealing, but, after seeing the performance "gain" or lack there of in some cases, I will be waiting for the 4870.

If that can perform better than the 9800 GX2, then thats what I will go with. Even then if to 4850s can do the trick I will check those out.

My decision will be based off of reviews and price. Whichever card offers the best price v. performance ratio will be the one I go with.

I'm going to wait until both of the cards come out on the market and read a few reviews/benchmarks before I buy anything.

I'd prefer to get the GTX280 but at a price of 600-700 dollars plus the cost of a new power supply thats kind of too much for a card thats only going to last me 1 1/2 - 2 years. My decesion on which card to get will be based on how well the 4870 preforms against the 280.

I always preferred nVidia's for its drivers. They just seem more stable more times than not and always liked how they tried to keep 1 driver for all their cards. I always preferred ATi's for their price to performance. If we could merge the two companies to where they kept all the good sides and then introduced new competition to keep them honest, I'd be all for it.

That is what i hate about nvidia, our family computer has a 6200 and i upgraded the drivers a while ago and the frame rate plumented, i was getting 25fps with every single setting on low in steam games and anything more stressful was unplayable, purely because the new drivers were geared to the newer cards. So i switched back to the older drivers and performance was restored and havent changed the drivers since. Fail imo. As for stabliity, i never had any problems with my Ati card and loved the easily accessed plethora of options and settings. Until nvidia which feels very 'generic' with a few settings here and there.

That is what i hate about nvidia, our family computer has a 6200 and i upgraded the drivers a while ago and the frame rate plumented, i was getting 25fps with every single setting on low in steam games and anything more stressful was unplayable, purely because the new drivers were geared to the newer cards. So i switched back to the older drivers and performance was restored and havent changed the drivers since. Fail imo. As for stabliity, i never had any problems with my Ati card and loved the easily accessed plethora of options and settings. Until nvidia which feels very 'generic' with a few settings here and there.