Air Cpu Cooler Recommendations

You are causing tons of turbulence - which is also probably why the temp actually went up when you opened the case. The heatsink most likely started getting hot air recirculated through it.

I run this unorthodox three blade fan on my TRUE with great success. It is hooked up to a fan controller and is very quiet at 2200 rpm while still giving tons of CFMs, and when I crank it up to max speed it pushes TONS of air while still being quieter then my old 92mm tornado. The noise it makes is the actual air moving - 142 cfm from a 120mm will never be quiet - but there is not any annoying buzz or screaming sound. Draws almost a full amp though so do NOT try to plug it into a mobo header...

38mm thick fans are the way to go for high cfms - and at lower rpms they push more air at the same noise level.

Delta 3 blade SHE

Looks a bit wierd with only three blades, but it gets the job done. I am debating either adding a second one, or may just bite the bullet and go high end water. These chips are hot!!!

post-14548-1212334941_thumb.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, how do i reverse the fan? (you think the guy at the store would have enough brains to install it on the right direction hua?)

oh and i live in israel so i cant get that fan.

Edited by FatalMelody

A little late sorry about that but they also tested the Noctua with one fan, entitled stock and it was 1C lower, but thats hardly a differnce and when it comes to a 1C difference, it all depends on who has better airflow.

Basically The Noctua and the TRUE are the best of the best, but when it comes to overclocking the TRUE comes in first (depending on the situation) But when it comes to silence iv seen a lot of cases where the Noctua comes first.

Now if you want to read something that i think is utter BS, take a look at this

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/01/20/noctua_nh-u12p/4

Might just be me but a Zerotherm Nirvana 120 beating a TRUE on load temps?

If I have read that right the ZEROtherm has it's fan at 100% whereas the TRUE has a Noctua silent fan (low revs), running at low speed. Great for quiet running, but not for cooling. Unless I have misinterpreted it, it's another misrepresentation. For a true comparison you need the same fan on both, with them running at 100% I think under those circumstances the TRUE would be the most efficient and beat the NV120.

These tests can be far from impartial at times and it seems a rather confusing review, but then I'm easily confused?

If I have got it totally wrong, then I am sure someone can correct me? :D

GG

EDIT:

Just an observation, as a ZEROtherm NV120 user I can say I am very pleased with the results I get, especially in relation to the quiet operation of the HSF. I am consistently around 15C below my temps at load over a stock cooler, with a modest OC. However, my next build will have a TRUE for the following reasons. The NV120 has the fan attached as part of the assembly, so it cannot be easily replaced if it fails, or if you wish to try another fan. Additionally, the HS is contoured so it does not lend itself to a 'push-pull' configuration.

Lapping an NV120 would also be a lot trickier than the TRUE, because of the fan assembly and the contoured fins of the HS, which are very thin and delicate. Finally, I chose it because of it's smaller size and weight, as it will live happily in a medium tower case, but the TRUE in my new build Cosmos will have plenty of room. So for what's it worth, I rate the TRUE higher than the NV120.

Edited by Great Gig

so, how do i reverse the fan? (you think the guy at the store would have enough brains to install it on the right direction hua?)

oh and i live in israel so i cant get that fan.

you just take the fan off and turn it around...

you just take the fan off and turn it around...

lol. i meant do i have to do some sort of clipping techniqe to pull it off?

i still haven't been able to disconnect the hsf off the hs on my last computer, i have no idea how i do that.

Basically The Noctua and the TRUE are the best of the best, but when it comes to overclocking the TRUE comes in first (depending on the situation) But when it comes to silence iv seen a lot of cases where the Noctua comes first.

Just been looking at the Noctua fan on the Quiet PC website, some impressive numbers for a near silent fan. At 1300 RPM its CFM is 54.3 and noise 19.8 db(A). Reduce the fans RPM to 900 and you have 37.3 CFM and 12.6 db(A), which unless you live in a sound proofed room, is practically inaudible. Compare that to my Nexus fans which at a max speed of 1000 RPM give me 36.87 CFM and 22.8 db(A)! Thats ticked me off, as I only bought them a few weeks ago! The Noctuas also have a 6-year warranty. So you get more airflow and less noise - so I reckon a TRUE with 2 Noctua fans in 'push-pull' would give you virtually silent cooling and better performance than a ZEROtherm NV120? I know what I'm buying next........

Quiet PC - Nocua NF-P12 Fan

I'm eye-ballin a pair of Noctua NF-P12's for my TRUE cooler B:) I like how quiet my Scythe S-Flex is, but the numbers that the Noctua is showing tells me that it's a better bang for the buck... Errr.... Several Bucks :lol:

Hmmm,..... checking out the stats on the newer Scythe S-FLEX SFF21G (1,900rpm) 120mm fan, which isn't on Newegg yet, it claims to have a speed of 1900 rpm,

Air Flow of 75 CFM and a Noise Level of 34.0 dBA. May be a little louder than the Noctua, but it's also pushing 20 cfm more at full go

Edited by Rokkaholik

I got the Scythe S-Flex SFF21G since I already had one anyway. I'll be yanking out my TRUE when the new Scythe gets here and Lapping it while it's out. I'll more than likely put the new one out front pushing in the air and the older one out back pulling it out. Should be interesting....

If all else fails, I'll go buy the Noctua's and sell the Scythes, or add them somewhere else on the case

You may want to consider these as well? Scythe Slipstream 120mm A High CFM of 110.3 at 1900 RPM, but only 37 db(A). That's and increase of 35 CFM for only 3 db(A), over the S-Flex. Additionally, they only weigh 115g, which is 60g lighter than the Scythe S-Flex SFF21G, so that's a saving of 120g on top of your HS weight, if you fit 2?

That's me sorted now for me next build, A TRUE, 4 of the Slipstreams and a Kama fan controller. Thanks for starting this topic, as it prompted some more research on my part ;)

Slipstream 120mm Review

Edited by Great Gig