Q9450 Unleashed And Overclocked!!!

O.K., I'm sure the question on everyones mind now is 'how far will the Q9450 really go?', right? I'll tell you the nitty-gritty from my side of the world-settings in bios and all...

Recently I put together a beast of a system-believe me, blood, sweat and tears went into this thing. Did hours after hours of research before finally deciding on going for broke. I purchased the following:

Lian Li A-17 Case

4x 120mm Case Fans

ASUS P5k3 Deluxe/Wi-Fi AP

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450

Ozc Vendetta 2 120mm Fan/Heatsink

2x1 GB Patriot DDR3-1866

2x 500 GB WD Caviar SE16 Raid0 Partitioned 250/750

Samsung 20x DVD Burner w/Lightscribe

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit

As you can see, with 4 case fans and the Ozc vendetta 2, overheating shouldn't be an issue. Right now I'm at 3.704 Ghz Stable with 1.3625 vcore!!! I know there's more room to play, but I'm exhausted-3.7 already took me 2 weeks of restless nights as it is. I'll get back to it once I've had my break and keep you posted with an edit...

So, your probably just dying to hear the settings already, and I don't mind giving you guys my hard earned time and sweat -this has actually been my first build/overclock-I have no problem sharing this so long as you build on it and post back RIGHT HERE. So here it goes...In Bios:

Multi:8

FSB to NB:400

Rated FSB:463

PCI-E Freqeuncy:Auto

DRAM Freqeuncy:926

Static:Disabled

Dynamic R/W:Disabled

Performance Level: Enabled-0

Memory Timings:8-8-8-24

CPU VCore:1.3625

FSB Termination:1.4v

Dram Voltage:1.9v

NB Voltage:1.70v

SB Voltage:1.20v

Load Line Calibration:Enabled

CPU Spectrum:Disabled

GPU Spectrum:Disabled

CPU Configuration: Multiplier x8

EVERYTHING ELSE: DISABLED!

Temps: CPU/40c-50c Case/25c-32c

Rated FSB: 1852 CPU/Memory Ratio: 1:1

There you have it! Brought to you by "Smoking It"

You can take it from there and post back Here!!! Happy Overclocking! Thats all for now. I'm going to get some sleep...I haven't slept past 2-4 hours in two weeks!!! Yeah, i've made it easy for ya ;) If anyone can do better on AIR running Vista-Keep me posted...

I would like to thank Intel ,ASUS, PATRIOT, OCZ, WESTERN DIGIAL ,SAMSUNG, LIAN LI, LOGITECH, AND VIEWSONIC for their outstanding quality and dedication to excellence! If ANY OF YOU EVER NEED TESTERS-Let me know by posting here!!! Thanx!

P.S. Still waitng to get Palit GTX 280,

Creative's X-Fi Titanium Fital1ty Pro,

and 2GB (2X1GB) Patriot DDR3 1866 Extreme!!!

Once I get it all set up I'll post 3D Vantage and CPU-Z, etc...

Sincerely, Smoking It

Edited by Smoking It

Good job, however I can go higher than that with a Q6600 on air...

Yeah, I don't doubt it, but at what cpu/memory ratio? Also, thing is I'm tired of tweaking it. This is my 1st O.C. and my goal was as much future-proofing as posible at it's highest freqeuncy as posible at safe settings... I got it to boot @ 3.85 but figuring how to keep it stable was too much of a headache. Now the balls in your court ;) I got it this far- almost every post i've seen max out at 3.5-3.6ghz. Plus i didn't want to push too much vcore. 1.3625 vcore will push at that speed for years no problem with the right cooling. Pushing it at higher vcore will start degrading the transistors at it's core. If anyone can take this and build on it-run with it and send feedback with a post-EVERYBODY needs help sometimes, so that's why i gave all my settings out, so build on it! :)

PS

As soon as i get 3dmark vantage I'll post my scores here.

Edited by Smoking It

Plus i didn't want to push too much vcore. 1.3625 vcore will push at that speed for years no problem with the right cooling. Pushing it at higher vcore will start degrading the transistors at it's core.

Isn't that chip rated to 1.5v max?

Mine has topped out at 470x8 so far with under 1.4 volts as well. It boots at 500x8 but so far have not pushed the voltage envelope on air cooling because these chips get HOT when pushed.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Smoking it.

Very kind of you to post the timings.

This will be the first time I have ever overclocked anything and my first post here too.

I was hoping to get the Q9450 up to 3.6 GHz as I bought it to run Flight Simulator X.

I wanted 4GB of ram but the company that built my computer told me I could not have 4GB of 1600Mhz with the P5K3 Deluxe, I did not get a good explanation of why that should be, so I only have the 1066's. However I am unsure what to do with the DDR3 timings.

I am currently at 3.06Ghz (382 FSB, 53-57 degrees C) just using the AIsuite software. The CPU score in 3DMark06 did not improve with higher FSB frequencies and Vista would feeze on me regularly at 3.2, even with a Real Temp of no more than 61 max at 100% with Prime95.

I am about to start poking about in the bios but you have better RAM than me and I am not sure what to start them off at, or how to tweak it at all to be honest.

The 4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1066MHz shows as Corsair PC3-8500F (533MHz) in CPU-Z it is currently running at

611.2 MHZ

5:8

2T

Thanks

Q9450, P5K3 Deluxe/WiFi

Super quiet 22dba tripple copper heatpipe CPU cooler

4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1066

8800GTX, 2 Western Digital 500GB ATA II

Vista home premium 64bit

Good job, however I can go higher than that with a Q6600 on air...

Same here, and I'm an Intel n00b. :P

3.7 is damn nice for a first overclock though. :)