Router

Is it possible for a router to scan for wireless access points? Or does it not have the capabilities? Thanks for any help. If you need to know what router I have just ask. Thanks again.

Lightning,

A router (stock) does not have that functionality. What you're looking for is a bridge device... a wireless router is actually an access point and wired router in one box. In order to scan like you are asking it would need to be running as a host.

Also I don't see much of a reason for having a standard router scanning for access points unless you are trying to leech off an existing broadband connection either to increase the range by using your router as a repeater or blatantly stealing a connection.

**For the record I do NOT condone doing so unless the internet connection that you are leeching off belongs to you**

That being said why don't you just use an 802.11b/g card in your pc/laptop?

Ahhh OK thanks. As for Hardnrg. I wanted to know if a wireless G router can scan wireless connections like a wireless card in a laptop could. Also there would be no real reason to steal intenet from someones else when the router is connected to a dsl modem. I just like to know what connections are in it's range. Just curious I guess. Even if the router could only scan wireless connections within it's range.

What do you mean flareback? I'm not on a laptop. I'm on a desktop PC that is hooked to a wireless router.

oh, if you have wireless then you can just view available networks.

but he doesnt have wireless flare, he is wired to the wireless and wired router. I would say the basic answer is no, there's no real reason to, the only reason would be if you wished to connect to whatever you find and to do that you wouldnt bother with a router you'd just hook up a PCI wireless adaptor (for simplicity's sake)

well there is a way to do this with linksys wireless routers. It's called site survey or Wireless survey. And this can actually be useful if you are setting up your wireless in an area with a lot of wireless so that you can choose a channel away from the ones the others are using.