Putting Down Animals

I try these days to not treat OCC like a blog (as I did several years ago), but tonight, I need to get something out.

Putting down animals, it really sucks. It sucks even more when you have to do it. Tonight, I had to put down a three month old goat who broke her neck. Fortunately she's no longer in pain, but it really sucks having to pull the trigger.

Any recommendations on how to get over it?

Oh right, you're 17. You'll need a couple more years of shock therapy to get rid of silly things like empathy, compassion, and the most annoying thing, a conscience

Guest KrankyOldLady

Confront yourself with the pain, untill your true it, thats about all i can think off.

Sorry for your loss though

Emotional detachment is the best advise I can offer. These where farm or work animals, correct? I was half expecting this thread to be about pets. Therefor 'bonding' with them may not be a good thing. So yeah, emotional detachment.

I know it doesn't help much, but it took me years to get to the point where I can detach myself for killing an animal. It still makes me sad, but I can at least stop myself from dwelling on it. No quick fix here, KB, sorry.

Not everyone could do what you had to do, it's to your credit that you did it with compassion.

hmmmm...Being the heartless bastard that I am I probably shouldn't post in this thread, but ah why the heck not. :)

Do what I would do: Bring up another goat, step back 20 yards and try again. :lol: