Mrboo And His Stupid "mild" Overclocking Troubles Again

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been priming for over an hour now! Wewt. Once it did reboot after 3 hours though, so.... I am going to leave this going for as long as possible. Wish me luck!

What is your northbridge temp? Intel chips do not have integrated mem controllers so there is a lot of stress is on the northbridge. Hot nb = unstable computer, even at stock.

I would put a fan blowing on the NB heatsink keeping everything else stock and see if that helps. If so, I would consider an aftermarket nb heatsink with AS5 - they make a some very nice passive heatpipe ones that help stability without adding noise.

What is your northbridge temp? Intel chips do not have integrated mem controllers so there is a lot of stress is on the northbridge. Hot nb = unstable computer, even at stock.

I would put a fan blowing on the NB heatsink keeping everything else stock and see if that helps. If so, I would consider an aftermarket nb heatsink with AS5 - they make a some very nice passive heatpipe ones that help stability without adding noise.

There seems to be a lot of reports of piping hot temperatures for the northbridge on these boards. I'm not sure if it's normal. I don't know what the temperature is. It's not reported anywhere.

I think it would be next to impossible to get a fan in there. It sits right under my heatsink. I also don't really want a noisy little brat of a fan if I can help it lol The 80mm is bad enough! If I can find a thin 120mm to install in the back of the case that may help. As it stands, I can keep my finger on it forever.... but it's at the point where it is starting to feel burny. Probably about 50C?

Prime for 2 hours now! Hoorah. Lets see if it'll make it overnight! God knows why it's decided to be stable again though. I am damn sure I tried these RAM settings with the CPU at stock before and it was still unstable. Perhaps I didn't. I should start to write stuff down :blush:

dscf0374kp7.jpg

dscf0374kp7.0ecaff1209.jpg

This is what I have done on my P35-DS3R, plus lapping th NB HS/AS5, same HS as you :P

+ I added wood washers behind the mobo on the white pins hanging the NB HS for more pressure on it.

Edit:

As it stands, I can keep my finger on it forever....

I wasn't even able to do that... And now it's barely warm... :)

Edited by The Smith

This is what I have done on my P35-DS3R, plus lapping th NB HS/AS5, same HS as you :P

+ I added wood washers behind the mobo on the white pins hanging the NB HS for more pressure on it.

Edit:

I wasn't even able to do that... And now it's barely warm... :)

Few questions about that.

- Was it paste under the NB heatsink? My most recent few motherboards have had some pink chewing gum like material which I have replaced with AS:C. I didn't bother to check this one.

- How is that fan clipped on? I see little metal clips, but how are they attached to the heatsink?

- What size fan is that? 60mm? 40mm? 4 pin molex on the end? I imagine I will want to try running such a thing at 7v or 5v to stop any noise. Unless mega quiet 60mm / 40mm fans exist.

Another 10 minutes and it'll be 3 hours! :)

I take the northbidge heatsinks off all my boards and replace it with AS5. On my DS3 I have them on +1 for MCH and +1 on FSB. On my DS4s I can get by with +.050 on the MCH and +.10 on FSB with Quads...

Few questions about that.

- Was it paste under the NB heatsink? My most recent few motherboards have had some pink chewing gum like material which I have replaced with AS:C. I didn't bother to check this one.

- How is that fan clipped on? I see little metal clips, but how are they attached to the heatsink?

- What size fan is that? 60mm? 40mm? 4 pin molex on the end? I imagine I will want to try running such a thing at 7v or 5v to stop any noise. Unless mega quiet 60mm / 40mm fans exist.

-I don't remember if it was paste...Though I think it was a kind of white paste that became very hard...

-For clipping it I took a small metal wire and made it pass behind the part written Gigabyte on it. I made a drawing if it can help:

On the left drawing, the red square represents the fan. The orange rectangle is the plate with Gigabyte on it, the line in the middle of it being the fin which links the plate to the heatsink. The black line is the wire.

The middle drawing is a side view.

The right drawing shows that if the wire could, it would take this position( Impossible, would need to go through the fan). It was just for showing that I put tension on it , to be sure the fan remains in place.

-The fan is approximately 5cm x 5cm x a bit less than 1cm, I don't know exactly. It plugs into a 3-pin fan header. Concerning noise, at maximum(12V), which is 6500 rpm, yes it is noisy, but I have seen worst. I didn't investigate why, but when I plug it in Sys_Fan2 it only does 4350 RPM, and is much more quieter. I someone knows why I would like to know. ( I guess it's a setting somewhere...)

If you don't understand my drawing and my explanations, don't hesitate I can try to explain better.

:lol: oh my. Well, the good news is that it managed over 12 hours prime last night without locking up.

The bad news is.... I tried booting at 3GHz again to run memtest, same settings as before, plenty of vcore, RAM settings unchanged (i.e still at 400MHz, 5-4-4-18 @ 2.0v, just primed 12 hours and passing a couple of memtest runs). It won't even boot when trying to overclock now! It just restarts twice and throws me back at stock settings. I tried +0.1v on PCI-E, FSB, and MCH and this didn't help. I tried a little more vcore. No go. I tried +0.3v vdimm. No go.

Quick searches suggest that it's common for this board. I have flashed back to F11E and it's the same. I've unplugged the power, removed the battery, used the clear CMOS jumper, booted, reflashed F11E, rebooted..... it's still doing it. I think it's the board being a POS. I may attempt an RMA and hope it is if I can't figure it out by Saturday...

Ideas?

I think I may have found the problem. It's quite self explanatory.

Do you think it's worth replacing the paste at this point? I'm thinking it's probably heat damaged by now, so I should just return it and check the next one?

dscf0376qr0.jpg

dscf0375ug6.jpg

Figures it is likely due to this. I usually check the northbridge on a new board, but skipped doing it on this one :lol:

Urgh...

Well, I have just put some AS:C on it. It is now retaining the overclock settings and getting past POST... just... sometimes. First run I stuck it at 3GHz, it got to memtest and quickly failed with some kind of CPU error! Stack trace of sorts was visible. I then restarted and tried 2.8GHz, it was just about to boot memtest and reset itself, back to stock :(

I'm hoping it really is the board, not the CPU or RAM. I think I am going to try and get the lot replaced or refunded if possible. Though I doubt they'll have that, but I can't really narrow it down with any accuracy without other parts to test against. They... could... if they wanted to be nice :P