Building Of A Psu Load Tester + update 7/4/2010

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will for sure! I'm not too happy that I have not gotten a chance to work on it!

Any new additions to yours Paul?

No its not in need of an update yet although some of the connectors are looking a little bit worn. One or two minor repairs required but nothing major. The unit will still manage 750W and up to about 1300 - 1400W with the addition of the four extra ebay resistors. The maximum power I've had so far is 1200W if I get a 1500W (why anyone would need one I don't know) I my need to get some more resistors.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 year later...

Boo! I'm still alive! - queue portal song.

I havewn't been doing many power supplies so I haven't been working on this at all- it has been through a few rebuilds and a few things have had to be replaced. Also changed up the hot box - it's now peltier heated rather than ducting from the main unit.

The most important thing though is, I've finally got off my butt to figure out how to mount these!

cJ24G.jpg

Unit is a bit cleaner too- it's an old picture... the bottom isn't sagging like entrails IRL.

ydRbA.jpg

I spent the longest time trying to find those brackets- ended up wandering into plumbing. You know, all those pipes and all gets people creative. Plus, I had extensive Lego training :). Good to see you around Paul, how yah been?

I just gotta figure out where to mount these- might just toss them into a micro ATX case :P. What are you cooling yours with? Would a few 120's be fine or should I go grab another AC one? Either way toastier the better :D

ps

MJJrC.jpg

Heating unit. I totally know the fins are pointing the wrong way, but it works well enough :)

Hey Paul, how are you dealing with the connection point? I can only seem to find heatshrink rated up too 135 degree celcius, and I'm worried I might have problems at the end where it touches the resistor. My resistors are hitting 100 degree celsius, and I'm worried that because they don't have heatsinks, having four of them together might be an issue.

I have soldered extension wires onto the copper braided stuff that comes from the resistors and heatshrinked them with no problems to report. I don't use the extra resistors that often, only need them for power supplies >850W.

They should be able to deal with 100 deg C really that vitreous enamel stuff they are coated with could probably provide a decent heat sheild for the Space Shuttle. :lol:

It's hard to find a specification for these resistors. Did you buy them of ebay like me? Ex Russian military or something.

The fan I've fitted over mine seems to provide the necessary cooling.

That's true def wont be on as much as the others. I guess, I got over complicated with how I wanted to mount it. I'm worried of the copper cables breaking so I wanted to attach a wire to the base of the resistor then strap it to the body with one of those metal clampy zip tie ish things, then a connector too that so I'd never need to move the copper cable. Doing so would probably cause only a few problems :P. I think, I'm going too do something like what you've got going on.

My biggest problem here is though my resistors can roll in their mounts. Your clamps make a hell lot of sense :P. My mount would have worked a lot better if the steel pipe running through it reaches from one end to the other, but instead it's two pipes, one on each end. I'[m thinking JB Weld on the ends- it can take up to 250 celcius, so I should be okay.

These are indeed ex russian military resistors! I have no specs on mine either but they seem tow ork well enough the few time I've used them. I almost wish I just shelled out and bought the standard heatsink mounted resistors!

I'm picking up some more parts probably tomorrow-, the rest needs to ship. Ran out of PCI express connectors- actually all I needed is one :(.

Do you think jb weld is ag ood idea?

It's a good idea I suppose until something goes wrong and needs repair/replacement?

How about just using some threaded rod with a nut, washer and shakeproof at each end and just nipping them up?

I thought about that, but then I also have to spares :). If something goes wrong, it's not like I can salvage the resistor- the parts maybe, but I also have spares of those. When these go out, I'll be replacing with the wirewund heatsunk ones.

I guess, I'll just need to be damn careful! Sometime last year, i cracked one of the resistors. They're actually really delicate :(.