Building Of A Psu Load Tester + update 7/4/2010

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought more stuff (proper ammeters that I'll mount this time- from a boating store! [like the ones Grace uses at Driverheaven/ Hardware heaven]) more contingency connectors and pins. The resistors have been comfortably in place and as long as nothing goes wrong, my incredibly permanent mount should be okay :) :).

Things have been in the mail for the last week... so hopefully stuff shows up soon!

Bought more stuff (proper ammeters that I'll mount this time- from a boating store! [like the ones Grace uses at Driverheaven/ Hardware heaven]) more contingency connectors and pins. The resistors have been comfortably in place and as long as nothing goes wrong, my incredibly permanent mount should be okay :) :).

Things have been in the mail for the last week... so hopefully stuff shows up soon!

I hope you're not aiming for a power supply reviewers job at OCC! :evilgrin:;)

I may have to bring forward my electronic load project that I'm working on, I just wish there were more than 24 hours in a day. :lol:

Fixed resistors are fine to a point but I'm starting to realise that they do have their drawbacks. Testing for 80 Plus compliance for example is very specific about the rail loadings which I can't meet with my fixed resistor network. Variablity, is that a real word, is the way to go but the trouble is if my electronic load works I will have to build seven or eight of them to do a 1500W power supply!

If you need any help at your end don't hesitate to ask.

Haha you've always done an excellent job here but besides me already having a place elsewhere in the interblags, them folks over here would be insane to toss you!

And, I def want to see what you've been working on! I definitely hear you on drawbacks. The inherent inaccuracies of the resistors for one, is a major problem. I can't say I haven't been a bit jealous of people who've purchased real equipment- I know, I've definitely looked them up before. But, I think we make out pretty well with our home built solutions. Aside from the continual cost of parts that seem to pour into it, and the time... oh god the time it also makes a damn fine project to tinker with, and for me as a hobby it's all worth it :D.

PS: I remember coming across a thread way back of you ditching your USB scope for a conventional one- I think you said because it blew up? Which did you have?

I originally had a DSO-2090 USB oscilloscope that I had an accident with! :lol:

All I did was connect the negative oscilloscope probe to a +12V rail, not normally a problem with most quality scopes but because the 0V (ground) rail is connected to earth on ATX power supplies what I effectively did was connect the 12V rail via the USB cable 0V to earth and it didn't like it!

Went over to a conventional analogue scope for a while and just photographed the screen, not ideal but it did the job for a while. I now use a Fluke 105 scopemeter via an optically isolated USB lead and FlukeView software, a far safer solution.

• 3 weeks later...

It's always one thing or another I run out of. This time it was screws. Emergency stop and an hour later...

IM9B7.jpg !

It'sall up and running!

Excuse the cellamaphone pictures. (again)

Edited by anthony