Building Of A Psu Load Tester + update 7/4/2010

roadkill

You can get 1kW with that set-up?

My set-up, although not as well made, can only do about 750W before heat becomes a real problem and the maximum I am running any resistor at is 70% of its rated power. I have had to get four extra 1R 150W, one for each 12V line, to take me upto approximately 1300-1400W total. Will probably get four more to take me up to 2kW and that should do for a while.

Can I ask what value the 150W resistors are and is it one per 12v line?

Cheers

Paul

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Paul, thanks for your input!

I haven't actually tested this thing yet, so the 1kw is entirly speculated, and theoretical. Heat will for sure be an issue, only I dont know how big of an issue till I hook it all up :P. How hot are your 150W resistors getting? The big ones I have are 150W 3R resistors.

I might heatsink up the other side of the resistors too I guess, ive got tons of room :P! These are the heatsinks I am using, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=tab%3DWatching.

edit: no new updates for a few weeks... waiting on some more parts :(

roadkill

These are the resistors I have had to use:

loadres.jpg

When on the 12V lines they dissipate 144W each, they get pretty hot and need fans to keep them from melting. They are rated at 1ohm 150W without the need for heatsinks but do need air cooling.

Got these on ebay too. Apparently ex-russian miltary and I think I got them from Bulgaria or somewhere similar. The quality is actually pretty good and they do the job nicely. They are wirewound ceramic coated so they should withstand the heat. Time will tell.

Your 150R resistors will only dissipate 48W each maximum on 12V. You appear to have five of these that will give 240W total. Have you not miscalculated somewhere or are you fitting more? Don't want to throw a spanner in the works, just trying to help.

Regards

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

OOPS typo! I meant 150W 1R ... sorry about that! They are Arcol HS1501R resistors. I will have air cooling, a 25 inch AC fan in the back of the sink, and 4 120mms at various spots.

Those... russian mil ones, holy! Where did you find the mount for those?

And btw, your not 'throwing a spanner', I really appreciate your help. Best I sort all the issues out now than find out later! =)

OOPS typo! I meant 150W 1R ... sorry about that! They are Arcol HS1501R resistors. I will have air cooling, a 25 inch AC fan in the back of the sink, and 4 120mms at various spots.

Those... russian mil ones, holy! Where did you find the mount for those?

And btw, your not 'throwing a spanner', I really appreciate your help. Best I sort all the issues out now than find out later! =)

I have used cast iron pipe mounting brackets for the resistors, not quite the right diameter but they do the job.

Need any help at all just ask.

Regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

a118bm4.jpg

a116iu7.jpg

a117bs8.jpg

It was a shelf till I took a dremel to it, previous page for 'before' pics edit nope, here http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...d=1558512

From 3d page

Small update, started doing the wiring.

Just a tip, get a cheap crimp, and your hand will cry about it :angry2:

picture001gz5.jpg

picture002zo4.jpg

picture003rm8.jpg

(pics reduced to clean up thread)

(btw, its not 3 resistors connected to molex)

Does it work?

Whats your maximum load?

How's the temperatures?

Am I jumping the gun here?

Found a supplier for PCI-E 6 and 8 pin connectors if you need them.

Need any help just ask.

Regards

Paul

I havent really tested it with a real power supply yet (real being, a proper one) I did plug in my fan power supply, works of course, but didn't push it. So, I dont know how much of an issue heat will be yet. My massive snake nests of wires probably does not help :P.

For the 6 pin and 8 pin connectors, I found some at performancePCs, work nicely, cept the screwed up half my order and sent me some male 4 pin molex connectors.

Nrg, duct isnt for out the window, althoug that would be a good idea =). Duct goes from load tester to silverstone case, its to pump heat into the case where the power supply being tested will be mounted. A heatbox!