Serious Heat Issues W/ Q6600 G0

Ok, I got the room cooled down, and the ambient case temperature to 30c. I got the gpu cool to the touch as well (rivatuner w/ the fan cranked). Still its running hot. Isint 2.8 -3.0 on stock cooling acceptable? Ive seen it done time and time again...

Yes it is acceptable and you might be able to do it but your temps will be hitting 69-75 on load just put some fans on it or a house fan cooling on it if your ambients are still high.

This is a ridiculous statement. LOTS of people overclock on stock coolers, and do so very successfully. The fact that you're so shocked by people using the stock cooler is really kinda sad.

Verran c'mon, if you look at the whole statement it was meant as why would you try overclocking with a stock heatsink if the ambients are that high, the ambient was the first thing I pointed out man. no it's not rediculous I use the stock heatsink for my e8400 while I'm working on my liquid cooling loop, infact thats what I'm using right now!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I then lowered the vcore to 1.1775 (That is where its at now.) Now under full load w/ Prime95 smallFFT's it hits 77 and stays there

Something is seriously wrong... touch the CPU heatsink at load, is it hot or barely warm? I think the heat isn't transferring to the heatsink for one reason or another...

I used an Akasa heatsink that looks really similar to the Intel stock heatsink, and at 1.400v, it wouldn't break 55 IIRC... with your massive undervolt and high temperatures, I think you need to find a way to get the heat transferring properly

Running e6600 @3.6 stable for the past few days on stock cooling. My office is warm at 77F. I have not gotten off my back side to get a better cooler.

Something is seriously wrong... touch the CPU heatsink at load, is it hot or barely warm? I think the heat isn't transferring to the heatsink for one reason or another...

I used an Akasa heatsink that looks really similar to the Intel stock heatsink, and at 1.400v, it wouldn't break 55 IIRC... with your massive undervolt and high temperatures, I think you need to find a way to get the heat transferring properly

At the top of the heatsink, its just warm, at the base its hotter, but not to the point where its close to burning...

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has asked but what temp program are you using to measure? Give real temp a spin in conjunction with what you're using now. Have you gone into your bios and seen what the temp is in there? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did everything correctly which means that either your heatsink or IHS(or both) are FUBAR on a whole new level or something is up with the CPUs temp sensor/temp monitoring program.

I'm a bit surprised that nobody has asked but what temp program are you using to measure? Give real temp a spin in conjunction with what you're using now. Have you gone into your bios and seen what the temp is in there? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you did everything correctly which means that either your heatsink or IHS(or both) are FUBAR on a whole new level or something is up with the CPUs temp sensor/temp monitoring program.

Im using the latest update of CoreTemp. The BIOS pretty much mirrors what CoreTemp says...

Just wondering, if I reset my clocks back to 2.4 stock and run prime95 then throw up a CoreTemp shot do you think you guys could tell me If it looks normal for stock clocks under load?

Im using the latest update of CoreTemp. The BIOS pretty much mirrors what CoreTemp says...

Just wondering, if I reset my clocks back to 2.4 stock and run prime95 then throw up a CoreTemp shot do you think you guys could tell me If it looks normal for stock clocks under load?

Well that's interesting...and yes. Just to spam the field, do you have your fan speed locked at a certain value in your bios? Gonna throw everything that I can think of out at you.

Well that's interesting...and yes. Just to spam the field, do you have your fan speed locked at a certain value in your bios? Gonna throw everything that I can think of out at you.

Tried both DynamicFan (<70 = 100%) and then I manually set it to 100% to no avail..

Here are a couple screenies: Stock (2.4) idle, and Stock (2.4) Load after JUST two passes!!!!

stockidle.jpg

stockload.jpg

Hows about stopping, taking it off, cleaning the IHS and HSF base, reseat using an appropriate amount of thermal interface, resetting your CMOS, then starting again and posting temps? :)

I did just as you said, last night. I took the heatsink off, and the chip out. Cleaned both surfaces with 91% isopropyl alchohol. Re-Applied AS5 as per Arctic Silvers intructions (line down center of chip inbetween tabs). I then reseated the heatsink making sure it was properly clamped down and went at it...