Lapping

Peow130

So, i have a Sapphire Radeon HD2600XT, and this thing does NOT get cool at all. I have the fan at 100% in AtiTool, with stock clocks and the lowest it gets is 40C. Now, i was wondering if lapping the heatsink might produce a better heat transfer in the heatsink, or would it just be a waste of time?

I also have 1 fan in my antec 900 in the slot behind one of the intake fans to blow cool air directly into the heatsink of the card, and 3 jimmy rigged 80MM fans in sequential order exhausting hot air from below the card... And a 120mm on the side as exhaust.. I did replace the old thermal paste with AS5 and it kind of helped.

:/

80-83C probably isnt good for the card imo..

Why should i not lap the heatsink? is it just bad for it or something?

that is not a problem. most videocards run hotter than cpu's do. it is not uncommon for some video cards to reach temps of 90 to 100C

so no your card is not bad. it is functioning normally. those temps are normal on stock heatsinks.

my 7950gt ko on the stock cooler with AS5 is currently idling at 49C and reaches around 70-75C while in games.

80-83C probably isnt good for the card imo..

Well...your opinion doesn't mean much when the cards are rated for over 100C. ;)

Seriously, just leave it alone. If you mess with it you're risking burning up your card for zero potential gain.

k :P just wondering. but being able to boil water on ur gpu just seems.. meh...

most kettles in the UK are 1800W to 2400W... mine is 3100W and can boil a cup of water in about 20-30 seconds...

now... a 2600XT probably puts out like 80W... you might be able to boil a cup of water in like 1 hour lol

most kettles in the UK are 1800W to 2400W... mine is 3100W and can boil a cup of water in about 20-30 seconds...

now... a 2600XT probably puts out like 80W... you might be able to boil a cup of water in like 1 hour lol

OFFTOPIC

WOW!

Went I went to England to visit my family over there I was flaberghasted at the electric kettles...

"My Aunt: Want some tea?

Me: Sure

My Aunt: Flips switch on a fusion reactor powered instant water vaporizer with a condenser collector system that holds the water at 99 C

Me: Jesus christ can you not use a stove?

When I said I wanted tea I figured meh... maybe that I'd be in the door 2-3 minutes before a superheated concoction of ultra hot transfused tea was thrust at my the second I sit down..."

:P