Anyone with the strike II and/or EVGA 780i I need some input

You can find out which games use all four cores by using task manager to monitor the cpu usage per core. You will be surprised at the number of games that hit all four pretty heavily. Even though there is not official support the usage is there to show otherwise.

You can find out which games use all four cores by using task manager to monitor the cpu usage per core. You will be surprised at the number of games that hit all four pretty heavily. Even though there is not official support the usage is there to show otherwise.

So far all the benchmarks in games are showing the E8400 at least 10 fps above the Q6600... So even if that Q6600 is using all four cores, it ain't making a difference!

• 2 weeks later...

not to be a buzz-kill but the man was talking about mobo's not quad vs. duo. :)

For the record i made a jump up from a ASUS p5n32e to evga 780i. Granted i know the p5n32e cant compete with the Striker II or EVGA 780i but i have heard on numerous accounts that the ASUS boards in general tend to run pretty warm. But i still believe ASUS to be on of the best bang for your buck motherboards as well as a top performer if you want to go the extra $

I love my new 780i runs great although it is a louder motherboard than my previous ASUS, i think because of the fan on the onboard cooler. The ASUS did run much hotter than the evga. i even noticed 2C drop in CPU temp just from mobo alone. Which ive never even heard of something like that happening, but hey, im not complaining. My friend recently bought the maximus formula extreme, the first one turned out to be a dud. but i look forward to seeing the performance when he gets the replacement. But to answer the question my personal preference would be to go with the evga 780i. i am extremely happy with mine, the swap was very easy booted up first time and been running fine ever since and that was about a month ago. (knock on wood). EVGA seems to be a very promising company, their gfx cards are second to none and as for their motherboards, and they still seem to be pushing the envelope with their new products. Needless to say at this point i am a new fan of EVGA. :)

Edited by bg8780

So far all the benchmarks in games are showing the E8400 at least 10 fps above the Q6600... So even if that Q6600 is using all four cores, it ain't making a difference!

Raw CPU speed plays into the equation as well. If I run a Q6600 at 3.0GHZ with the same 333mhz bus speed I think the results would be different in favor of the Q6600.

Raw CPU speed plays into the equation as well. If I run a Q6600 at 3.0GHZ with the same 333mhz bus speed I think the results would be different in favor of the Q6600.

Thats not a fair comparison. Of course if you over clock the Q6600 to the same clock as the E8400 its going to run the same or better in everything.

You have to compare Apple for Apple, so you'd have to compare to a E8400 at at least 3.6Ghz (2.4 -> 3.0 = 0.6Ghz OC)

When comparing at stock clocks the 8400 will have an advantage based on the clock speed 3.0 vs 2.4GHz . But if you match clock speeds in an apples to apples comparison I think the Q6600 would erase that 10 fps difference. I can bottleneck my q6600 at 2.4ghz but at 3.0GHz woah nelly watch out.