Watching Video's On TV from Video Card

Ok so I have this issue, when im watching stuff on my like 32inch sanyo tube tv...through my computer via S-Video (thats all i have because the tv only has s-video, no dvi or anything like that)

anyways It plays anime fine and most shows. but anything widescreen resolution...it cannot due, it just wont make the black bars and it tries to expand it, so it ends up looking really weird.

any ideas?

i have a 6800gs

thx

Yeah basically, i mean I have a monitor, but i also have my tv hooked to my video card.(i just use the tv to watch videos on my computer, it's better than being hunched over a computer monitor :-))

but it's through s-video and widescreen videos (that are on my computer)....look really fuzzy and distorted, anime looks fine though for some reason?

just didnt know if theirs any way to adjust where it can accept widescreen, because my tv like expands it throughout the whole thing? (aka doesnt put the little black bars there)....so when it expands it, the resolution gets messed up

there's a lot of options under the nVidia control panel for having TV's hooked up and such.

I'd start there and mess with different modes and things..

Also It maybe be the lack of Resolution support that comes from using S-video. Google that.

I know with my TV , I can only go to 1360 X 768 when I have a VGA cable hooked up.

but when I got my DVI -> HDMI cable , my tv supported 1900 X 1080.

tv vs monitor is a resolution loss. videos formatted for the monitor will look like that on the TV. anime doesn't have as crisp of a picture right out of the gate, so you won't notice it... but it's there.

• 2 weeks later...

interesting-- I have the same issue. I've got the VGA hooked to an LCD and the S-Video to the TV. I played with Nivida's tool box with setting up a TV in all the diffrent modes, all displays work but when I go to play video. My test video is WS, so I'll give 4:3 ratio video a try and report back. FYI - If I set the Nivida controls to display video full at launch it works , but I have to move the video screen around on the TV (its max on the LCD).

6800 Ultra VC, btw....

tv vs monitor is a resolution loss. videos formatted for the monitor will look like that on the TV. anime doesn't have as crisp of a picture right out of the gate, so you won't notice it... but it's there.

That's not the cause of his aspect ratio problem though, that's related to a program or driver setting.

While Ive never had the exaclt problem listed ive had my share of PC on SDTV issues. In general though it's just some setting in the driver control panel. I currently have my 6800 GS pluged in and have used pretty much every other card I have (except the 8800gt, but including the laptops) for the task. Still..none of them have tried to strech a widescreen video by default.

What I did was just not fullscreen the video on the TV and I sized it so it looked right and just watched it that way...

That's one way to do it but real fullscreen works better. :)