8800GTS or Ati 3870

spectrascope

Which would be the best choice a 8800GTS or a Ati 3870

btw sli or crossfire is not

current video card x1950 pro 256mb version

rest of the system

Abit NF-M2 nView mobo - currently on - rma

1GB Ocz platinum DDR2 800 @ 900

3800x2 @ 2700 (PSU is killing the oc capability)

case Thermaltake soprano

Scythe Ninja

120mm thermal take fans 3x

PSU 550 watt coolmax(cool crap :glare: )

Well if you say that your psu is killing your OC capability, unless you tone down that OC a new, more power hungry video card is not the upgrade you need right now. I would not stress that system with that OC'd cpu and put a new power guzzler gpu in there.

First, buy a new psu.

Second, I'd go with the ati 3870. It beats the gts in a lot of things and is a lot cheaper, too.

It doesn't matter so much how many watts are being advertised by each products, but of what quality are the parts? If they are quality parts, like some well-named PSU brands: PC Power and Cooling is one that comes to mind. Low quality parts won't deliver on the watts advertised. So, in other words, crappy parts give crappy performance and stability. I believe we have a list here at OCC about quality PSUs.

Well replacing the psu was a definite. I'm sorry didn't make that clear,

and yeah for those who don't know coolmax is crappy psu.

As far as a psu replacement I was thinking a pc power and cooling silencer 710.

so now to get back on topic.

thx for all replies so far

@ crow47 I will consider the 3870 more so now

but I would like a least opinions to support the purchase, no offense to you intended but it is just general way to gather lot info before buying something.

well i might not be the best one to answer....

but it depends if the nvidia vid card is the 8800gts (g92) 512mb or the 8800gts 320 or 640mb....

I saw the OCC vid card of the year and the 3870 is said to be better than teh 640mb GTS, but in the comments people say that teh 512mb GTS is better

the hd 3870 has a higher memory bandwidth. wich means better performance. I almost bought that one instead of the 8800GT that I just bought, but the extra 30-40 dollars would have drained my bank account :( . But if you do get the hd 3870 when you get it setup make sure you diasble cool and quiet and turn the fan speed to like 60%, because I have read alot that below that those cards get really hot.