Lapping advice

-----I HAVE READ THE OCC GUIDE----

ok got that out of the way!

Basically, im a noob to lapping, never done it before. Got my thermalright ultra 120 extreme in the other day, needs to be lapped. I ganna go out tomorrow to get the sand paper, thinking about starting at 200ish grain or 400..not sure ive read both. Ill probably go up to 1000 or 1500

any other advice or tips would be most appreciated...pics to come also!

Basically, im a noob to lapping, never done it before. Got my thermalright ultra 120 extreme in the other day, needs to be lapped. I ganna go out tomorrow to get the sand paper, thinking about starting at 200ish grain or 400..not sure ive read both. Ill probably go up to 1000 or 1500

go up to 2000 1000 is not fine enough. just remember that it takes time, and patience, you'll probably be doing this for at least 30 mins, to and hour o so.

Its alot easier than it seems. The place where most people mess up is when they put pressure on the sink when moving it back and forth on the paper and they end up with a more warped contact area than when they started.

I rarely ever start with 200 grit. If the sink is messed up enough to need 200grit you should send it back for a replacement.

Go 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000.

I prefer wet lapping but to each his own. Just make sure the surface is true flat and that you dont angle the sink when doing the back and forth cycles and rotations. You'll be fine.

go up to 2000 1000 is not fine enough. just remember that it takes time, and patience, you'll probably be doing this for at least 30 mins, to and hour o so.

IIRC, a few of our senior OCC members with lapping experience said that anything past 800grit doesn't show enough of a temperature difference to warrant the extra work.

hold the base as low as possible without lapping your fingers/nails (lol, I've lapped my nails before :lol:)... it's almost impossible to avoid some rounding of the edges, but make sure you have a few beers in the fridge, lap on glass, on a counter/worktop, using water and a drop of dishwashing detergent, put some tunes on or something funny on TV that you don't have to look at, and you'll get there :)

here's my U120 after 400, 800, 1200, 1500

IIRC, a few of our senior OCC members with lapping experience said that anything past 800grit doesn't show enough of a temperature difference to warrant the extra work.

Anything above 800 doesnt net you enough actual temp decrease to warrant the work. I go all the way to 2000 for 2 reasons. One being i get free sand paper. And two i like shiny stuff.

Anything above 800 doesnt net you enough actual temp decrease to warrant the work. I go all the way to 2000 for 2 reasons. One being i get free sand paper. And two i like shiny stuff.

helloo new best friend XD