AMD 6000+

Tdubya

I just installed the above mentioned CPU last night. I purchased a HS/F as well...believe it's the ThermalTake Tr somethin. I fired up the system for the first time, and my bios didn't recognize that the fan was spinning, and pc would never boot up. I assume it's because of the larger size fan and lack of rpm's because I did a visual check and it was spinning. I tried going into my worthless bios, and the cpu speed was recognized, but nothing else, and you can't change much if anything in this bios. To surf for possibilities last night I cleaned the cpu and reinstalled my stock hs/f, which came from a amd 3800+ single core. I used arctic silver thermal compound and I'm getting 31c at idle and 45-50 after about 1 hour playing GTR2. I used coretemp to get the temperature readings.

Will using a fan controller set on high with the new hs/f allow my pc to boot up? Should I stick to what I have since it seems to be working?

I don't overclock anything, as I don't believe I can...and most of the games I play should run fine on this setup. I don't have ANY case fans by the way. The only fans operational in the system are the cpu, psu & gpu. GPU runs at 40c at idle and I have seen temps as high as 74c when running a stability test from ntune.

The PC was a Compaq Presario SR2030NX...only stock items left are the case, HD, MB, and CD/DVD

AMD 6000+ X2

2gb 667mhz Patriot Ram

BFG 7950GT 256mb 256bit

Earth Watts 500w psu

A8M2N-LA Naos-GL6 MB

Edited by Tdubya

Socket AM2

The only reason why I got this PSU was because I found that this site reccomended it. Is it not adequate for my rig? Didn't think I had much more than 250-300watts draw at any given time.

This is a proprietary Asus board and there is no bios update that I've found.

Temps when I got home from work were in the 21-23c range. I guess this AS5 gets better as it cures.

Mobo will probably be my next purchase. Back to my original question regarding the hs/f fan controller..could this possibly allow my bios or mb to recognize the larger fan if I had the speed turned up to max upon bootup?

There was a 3pin connector that I had to remove in order to get the old hs/f out. I plugged the new connector, which is also a 3pin in that spot. After it didn't recognize that it was spinning...again I believe it's becuase of the 30% increase in size, and that it probably operates at a lower rpm....I cleaned off the cpu and reapplied the stock unit plugged into the same 3pin male on the mb. I've read somewhere that the bios is set to read the stock fan at 800rpm upon bootup, and if it doesn't register this rpm the system shuts down. I've also read that some fan controllers must be set to max rpm for the first bootup, or the same thing can happen. That's why I was curious to know if this would solve my issue....although it seems as though the stock cooling unit is working out. 21c 23c idle temps when I got home last night, and after messing with Crysis for about 45min I exited and saw my temps were at 53c. What I also realized is that I had alt/tabbed out of GTR2 sometime before running Crysis and it was running in the background also(1 too many bowls I guess). Are these temps within normal operating ranges?

Edited by Tdubya

Guys... Slow down....

The fix for everything ISN'T a new Mobo or whatever...

T, you are on the right track... many Mobo's have a sensor that looks for a fan, if there isn't a fan (or it doesn't "think" there is a fan.. it won't boot.......

Just for fun, I would plug your current new fan into another connector or find a way to direct connec to the PSU...

then just plug the old fan into the mobo fan header... if it boots up then there is your issue.....

Sadly with a Conpaq there may not be much you can do, but with many other BIOS' you can disable the "fan" feature....

You could always just plug one of your case fans into the CPU fan header so it at least "sees" the fan.....

My PSU doesn't have any 3pin connectors....I looked for that before I removed the new hs/f. I guess I could go out and buy a 4pin molex to 3pin connector and just have it spin full rpms constantly...it's not like I have a bunch of fans going anyway. Is there any certain area I should "rig" my old cpu fan? Pointed out of the vent holes for instance? Pointed directly over the new cpu fan to add additional cooling? just throw it in some vacant bay with some zip ties? I looked up and down the bios for what HP/compaq claims should be a hardware manager line....no such line exists under advanced settings in this pos bios. I'm really suprised at the lack of settings that can be made on this system through bios. Is this new hs/f even necessary with the temps I've posted?

Those temps aren't bad, you should be fine as long as you don't plan on overclocking...and you won't be with that motherboard. Compaq (and most big box pc makers) disable just about any overclocking features you need so that doesn't surprise me. They basically dumb them down for the masses. :)