Do I need water cooling

VDPD2005

Whats up guys, I got a couple question for you. I'll be making my own PC with these components:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.3 GHz

XFX geforce 8800gt 512 Mb

WD Raptor 10k rpm 150 Gig

500 Gig drive

2 Gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM

This PSU 500w

Windows Vista Home Premium

There are other components, of course, but I dont need to mention them here.

First off. Will that PSU do? When looking for PSU's I found that there are ATX, ATX 12v, and others. The PSU above is just ATX. Does it matter?

Second. Will I need water cooling? I'm not confident messing with water in my new computer.

Thanks.

Edited by VDPD2005

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watercooling is more of a luxury now.

Yep. Sometimes it'll net you that last couple megahertz for a benching run but for 24/7 operation I wouldn't use it unless you have crazy noise constraints.

I would spend the money on a BETTER PSU and some Good air cooling.

Water is a pain in the ., let me tell you. Never wish I switched.

A good water cooling setup(Ie. Setup ever worth while to have ) will cost around 250ish..

that 250 ish could be spent towards a really nice air cooler ( say 80 bucks ) and a Good PSU ( say 150) and you would be much happier!

as for a Psu suggestion, That PSU *will* do but it's deff going to lack when playing games under heavy load. ( The 12 V lines are ow on Amps)

I would suggest looking at OCZ and Pc power & cooling , they offer some great and affordable PSU's.

( I would look for a minimum at least 20 A for each of the 12V line)

This is a much better PSU and it;s only 50 more...

OCZ GameXStream 700W

Sounds good, no water cooling then...phew.

That PSU looks really good, more expensive than I'd like to go though. But the next model down even though its a lot cheaper, the mail-in rebates make both of them come out to $100 so might as well go with the one you suggested. I apprecieate the help guys I'll post when I have this built in a month or so. Looking like $1432, before mail in rebates. Will also sell my laptop to help pay for it.

Water is a pain in the ., let me tell you. Never wish I switched.

Then you probably have done something wrong because I haven't touched my setup in over a year :\

No blowing out heatsinks, keeps my room much cooler than all the air coolers that were on it, no blowing out heatsinks for dust.

I guess I got the lucky stuff with barely any upkeep...or I just know what I am doing I guess.

Well yes after you get everything hooked up , it's fine.

I just had a bunch of leaking problems from the beginning and had to RMA Video cards and mobo and PSU.

I guess you can think of it this way..

250Ish dollars for something that CAN leak and ruin stuff but does provide lower temps.

80ish for a good air cooling setup that will provide decent temps for overlocking...

All about how you wanna spend your money.

If your looking to OC lots then water is a good idea but I don't think that he's going to be overlocking his CPU past the point where water is needed.

and if you noticed that he isn't confident about using water, then he shouldn't. Water has the possibility to leak (espically if you have no idea what to buy or setup) where Air doesn't.

but all in all.

What would you rather have ?

Something that is pretty much overkill unless your computer is being heavly oc'ed

or a more stable Power supply.

If he's not planning to over clock then he doesn't even need a aftermarket air cooler. Stock will be more than fine.

Then you probably have done something wrong because I haven't touched my setup in over a year :\

No blowing out heatsinks, keeps my room much cooler than all the air coolers that were on it, no blowing out heatsinks for dust.

I guess I got the lucky stuff with barely any upkeep...or I just know what I am doing I guess.

yeah watercooling is definately not a necessity and you have to have ALOT of patience :) I have nopt had a problem with my wc setup (knock on wood) but have heard of things going haywire and shorting some circuts. Now as far as power supplies go don't ask me I have yet to master that art lol ask these guys I always pick just about the crapiest one that could be found lol

The advantage that water cooling has is the quiet.... you can get very good temps with air, but the fans need to be really pumping...

With water, I can run the fans at 5V, get very good cooling and barely hear it...

but it is not needed....

Depends on your budget and what do you plan to overclock? The CPU, RAM and/or video cards? You have a wide range of choices that vary with the price and of course the room in your case can matter as well. I have been happy with just about every cooler I have tried from Thermalright and Zalman though there are other brands that make great coolers also.