subwoofer smoking!

GuJuMaN89

ok so i was watching a movie with the family, and randomly the sub stops working and the light goes out. so i go over to check it out, and out of the port, there is smoke coming out lol

what can cause this? we werent playing it very loud at all, and it is not turned up all the way either.

You might want to check the amp or receiver or whatever was powering the sub, because there is a good chance some damage was dealt to it, especially if it was bad enough to turn off the lights. or was there a light on the sub?

You weren't putting allot more power to this sub than it was rated for right?

open it up and look for the failed component(s), if they are too burnt to identify the values/model, then you'll need a schematic, replace them, that's about it

or just buy a new one

cheap components from crappy brands can cause device failure... but even good brands can have components that fail after many years of use (and abuse)

Maybe the sub has inadequate crossovers to filter out lower bass content?

If the media you were playing had some lower bass that the driver couldn't handle and like stated above didn't filter it out correctly it could have caused it to over heat the driver or cause electrical damage to the driver thus causing amp failure.

Plus the fact that most cheap "home-theater-in-a-box" setups have cheapo ported subwoofers which means it could have been heavily distorting and you wouldn't have even noticed, especially if the surrounds were covering up some of the sound as well...

Have you tried the patch? It helped me to stop smoking.
:rolleyes:rofl3.gif Edited by Andrewr05

did you make sure the OMS were correct. i know my receiver supports 4 and 8. if you got the wrong OMS going it can blow just about anything and it sounds like it was a low power sub running at somthing higher than it. i doubt it was 4 since only huge speakers use it.

if it was an all-in-one pack , well there you go i'm not surprised it went. my system will be good for atlest anothing 10 years. its like saying i'll spend $70 a year, in the long run its cheaper, longer lasting and better sounding.

also a good suggestion to anyone, dont double up the speakers or it will go.

what can cause this? we werent playing it very loud at all, and it is not turned up all the way either.

The amp in the subwoofer bit the dust.

The driver itself is probably perfectly fine as long as the amp didn't send DC to the sub till it burned up (which usually only happens if an output transistor shorts out).

It'll probably be cheaper to replace the sub rather than have someone repair it unless you have a friend who knows what he's doing. :)

If the media you were playing had some lower bass that the driver couldn't handle and like stated above didn't filter it out correctly it could have caused it to over heat the driver or cause electrical damage to the driver thus causing amp failure.

If it was playing infrasonic material without an adequate crossover they'd definitely hear it if it was ported. Nothing sounds worse than an unloaded sub since most will slam the voice coil into the backplate (think of a machine-gun like staccato of clangs).

Generally things like that won't damage an amplifier either.

did you make sure the OMS were correct. i know my receiver supports 4 and 8. if you got the wrong OMS going it can blow just about anything and it sounds like it was a low power sub running at somthing higher than it. i doubt it was 4 since only huge speakers use it.

Please don't spread mis-information.

First, it's ohms. Second, the wrong impedance will only harm amplifiers if you go below the minimum rating of the amplifier. Lastly, the size of a speaker has nothing to do with its impedance.

Since it sounds like he has a sub with a built-in amp, I'd rule out any impedance related issues.

If it was playing infrasonic material without an adequate crossover they'd definitely hear it if it was ported. Nothing sounds worse than an unloaded sub since most will slam the voice coil into the backplate (think of a machine-gun like staccato of clangs).
If it was ported improperly (just a crappy boomy or humming like freq.) then it may have hidden the distortion...

Generally things like that won't damage an amplifier either.
In extreme cases it may cause electrical shortages which COULD cause amp damage...