subwoofer smoking!

GuJuMaN89

If it was ported improperly (just a crappy boomy or humming like freq.) then it may have hidden the distortion...
Voice coils hitting the back plate are extremely loud. Even if it unloaded without bottoming out, it'd physically rip the subwoofer apart, not fry it thermally.

In extreme cases it may cause electrical shortages which COULD cause amp damage...

It's not often that blown speakers short out. Almost every time a sub blows it'll blow open or to an extremely high resistance.

But if the subwoofer was not built to handle those frequencies it would probably overheat not bottom out, correct?

I mean if it could not even electrically handle that type of frequency.

No.

Power is power, no matter what the frequency. If it was playing really low frequencies it'd actually have more cooling, since it'd be moving much farther than it would with a higher frequency. :)

well this is what we did when we got our system.

we bought an amp, and then we bought the 5.1 set of speakers.

the sub supports 100watts, and so do all the sattelites. the amp we got is 600watts.

i will open it up later to check what is burnt and stuff, it was an Infinity sub if that matters.

i know the heatsink on the back of sub wasnt hot either, just warm like it always is

Edited by GuJuMaN89

i know the heatsink on the back of sub wasnt hot either, just warm like it always is

If it's an Infinity sub it should be covered under warranty, I bet the sub amp just popped (is it an 8" sub? If so, I'm pretty sure I know which model you've got and it's known to have problems with the amp dying at random).