ISP off the deep end

Necron80

I bet the bypass steps will soon even be built into some of the fancier clients.

As in encryption? Most clients have it built in and have had it built in for a few years. :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ahh, I didn't realize that. See, I don't need encryption, because I am a good boy and everything I download is legal. ^_^

Torrents are used for legal things as well. I have to use encryption to get decent download rates on anything.

Yeah, I know comcast is blocking everything, not just the illegal stuff. :angry2: and yeah, i use bittorrent to download linux iso's and stuff like that.

I don't think I tried enabling encryption though, I guess that could speed things up if enough other clients only connected to encrypted users. I'll have to try that next tim.

Torrents are used for legal things as well. I have to use encryption to get decent download rates on anything.

:withstupid:

I usually have to get game betas/demos (e.g. Bioshock, Crysis and UT3) from torrents because the speed of the official servers is usually quite bad for me (or the files end up corrupted! gah)

also, 3rd party drivers like YouP-PAX for Creative soundcards can be about 500MB or so (it's apps too lol), so torrents make sense for that too

I have to use torrent encryption to get more, sometimes even any, connections

Unfortunately I'm stuck with comcast, I can vouch that they are doing this, it took me five (5) days to download the latest copy of Madriva Linux over BT, and in the past it would take me less than 8 hours to download it. But I do enjoy the lag free gaming >>195369457.png

I could see why they would have a reason to block p2p programs but just blocking ever kind of download and cutting bandwidth seems way to unfair.

They aren't blocking every type of download, just p2p downloads. HTTP, FTP, etc still work at full speed.

That may change soon. Comcast to face lawsuits over BitTorrent filtering

The blogosphere is abuzz over an Associated Press investigative article this past Friday on the subject of Comcast's BitTorrent filtering. Briefly, there were a number of articles in early September which alleged that Comcast was using some fairly sneaky techniques to throttle BitTorrent traffic on its network. Comcast, of course, denied any such behavior. It took a month and a half, but both a mainstream media news organization as well as the Electronic Frontier Foundation have tested and confirmed the previously reported claims. It turns out that Comcast is not only throttling BitTorrent, but Gnutella and, strangely, Lotus Notes are also suffering.

Comcast Could Face Lawsuits Over P2P Discrimination

Lawyers and privacy groups are reportedly