Hellgate: London demo

Crow47

Ooooh. That pic is great. I'm going to have to keep that on my home machine for a while :)

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get my marksman to deal toxic damage. What if my marksman got physical damage? Can they even do that?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh. That pic is great. I'm going to have to keep that on my home machine for a while :)

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get my marksman to deal toxic damage. What if my marksman got physical damage? Can they even do that?

physical =/= melee. Everyone can do every damage type.

The easiest way to do the mini-game damage types is to equip damage mods to your guns. So SNPR rifles, for instance, do spectral damage. Add a +10% physical dmg mod to it and now you'll get that damage type to register for the mini-game as well. The damage output/dps isn't stated very clearly, so it's questionable whether you're actually adding damage if you put a dmg mod of a different type on a gun, but at the very least the mini-game does recognize it. So you can theoretically have a gun that does all 5 dmg types!

For hunters and cabalists, the "worst" icon to get is the sword. Since they don't use swords, the drop rate for swords is less than for a templar. You'll still get them though, it'll just take a little longer. Templars are lucky because they use both swords and guns.

EDIT: Just an fyi, the mini-game symbols correspond to in-game icons as well. For example, if you look at your SNPR rifle (examine it), then you'll see the spectral symbol. If you aim at a ravager, you'll see the fangs icon next to its name. That's why eventually you won't even need that chart, because you'll be able to spot things easily.

The easiest way to do the mini-game damage types is to equip damage mods to your guns. So SNPR rifles, for instance, do spectral damage. Add a +10% physical dmg mod to it and now you'll get that damage type to register for the mini-game as well. The damage output/dps isn't stated very clearly, so it's questionable whether you're actually adding damage if you put a dmg mod of a different type on a gun, but at the very least the mini-game does recognize it. So you can theoretically have a gun that does all 5 dmg types!

FYI - adding a +% damage of a certain type to a weapon without it doesn't count. You have to get a mod that adds the actual damage to the weapon before it'll count as that type of damage. That's straight from a developer from about a week ago, so unless they've changed it since then, a +% {insert damage type here} doesn't do anything unless that weapon already does some of that damage type. Consequently, it won't count in the mini-game either unless you have the base damage type already there.

FYI - adding a +% damage of a certain type to a weapon without it doesn't count. You have to get a mod that adds the actual damage to the weapon before it'll count as that type of damage. That's straight from a developer from about a week ago, so unless they've changed it since then, a +% {insert damage type here} doesn't do anything unless that weapon already does some of that damage type. Consequently, it won't count in the mini-game either unless you have the base damage type already there.
You're 100% wrong. You don't play the game, so stop trying to act like you know anything. Adding mods of a different damage type from the base dmg DOES count and always has.

I never played the demo (and from what I've heard the graphics were dumbed down from beta), so I can't really compare it. In beta I played in DX9 and thought it looked pretty sweet. The lighting and particle effects in particular were great. Now I play it maxed in DX10 (except with AA off because DX10 + AA causes severe fps hits right now), and I think it looks amazing. I'll see about making a quick FRAPs video next time I play (probably tomorrow; tonight's a mess for me)

Here's another fun one for you Clay...

So I decided I was going to try the Auto-Modification machine thing last night. So I've got my beloved legendary shock rifle that kicks major tail over anything I've both looted or seen for sale, and thus it hasn't left my hands in like five levels. So I drop it into the modification thing, and hit ~$5k mod button. Without any indication of what it's actually going to do, it deducts my money, mods the weapon, and drops it in my inventory, only now it's got the little red minus symbol telling me that I can no longer use it. Fantastic! Money well spent!

Turns out the requirements went up and now I have to take off half my gear so I've got enough stamina to use it. That would have been neat to know beforehand. Now I get to run around half naked until I level and get more skill points.

So is there any way to actually know what that machine is going to do to your gear before you use it?

Here's another fun one for you Clay...

So I decided I was going to try the Auto-Modification machine thing last night. So I've got my beloved legendary shock rifle that kicks major tail over anything I've both looted or seen for sale, and thus it hasn't left my hands in like five levels. So I drop it into the modification thing, and hit ~$5k mod button. Without any indication of what it's actually going to do, it deducts my money, mods the weapon, and drops it in my inventory, only now it's got the little red minus symbol telling me that I can no longer use it. Fantastic! Money well spent!

Turns out the requirements went up and now I have to take off half my gear so I've got enough stamina to use it. That would have been neat to know beforehand. Now I get to run around half naked until I level and get more skill points.

So is there any way to actually know what that machine is going to do to your gear before you use it?

AFAIK there is no way since the mod it adds onto it is random. Sucks since I'm in the same boat with a legendary Heavy Rifle : /

AFAIK there is no way since the mod it adds onto it is random. Sucks since I'm in the same boat with a legendary Heavy Rifle : /

:withstupid: Was it the Augmentrix or the Nano Forge? I'm guessing Augmentrix since you said you spent monery, rather than components.

Augmentrix is the machine that adds attributes. You have a choice of three:

Common

Rare

Legendary

Each one has a pool of mods it'll randomly choose from. Possibilities include stats like + crit chance, etc, as well as + skills. If you wind up getting + skills, the following will occur:

Common will add +1 to a skill

Rare will add +2 to a skill

Legendary will add +3 to a skill

I believe an item can have a max of FIVE special attributes. So at some point, you will not be able to augment it any longer. In fact, some legendary items may already have 5 attributes preventing you from ever augmenting it.

Having it tell you ahead of time what it'll be adding would be a bad idea. Be lucky there's no real risk involved. Apart from possibly upping the reqs beyond what you can support, it'll never add a "negative" attribute. So you're essentially gambling, but always coming out on top :lol:

As for the Nano Forge, that upgrades the item level. It will boost the item level by 2 every time, so if your item is level 11, it'll jump to level 13. As with any higher-leveled item, the requirements obviously increase, so yes, you do run the possibility of upgrading to a point you can no longer support. It will stop you from upgrading it if the item level goes beyond what your character level can support, but it will not stop you from upgrading if the attribute requirements (STR, DEX, CON, INT) go above your support level.