Unreal Tournament 3 Beta

Crow47

Just got done playing UT3 and I gotta say, I'm disappointed like Kobalt. I tried out every resolution available in that game with a bunch of different detail level combinations and I find it very odd that my computer performs almost identically at 640*480 and 1280*1024(34-40 fps tops while staring at walls with the lowest dipping to single digits...). Also tested each res from 640 to 1280 with all of the levels of post-processing and it still turned out very similarly...

Oh well, I'll stop complaining now. New build is coming up soon and the final game is going to be much more polished than this beta demo or so I'm hoping.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It would probably cost me around $800 for a PCIE mobo and a decent 8800 to be able to play normally, might as well buy a PS3

No it wouldn't. The x1600 never cost more than $250 either.

Wow man, that's harsh.

The truth hurts sometimes.

And Thewacokid, while his grammar may be poor I think he does have a point with more games coming out that support ageia and that it may be worth it soon.

Oh, I don't dispute that. I just don't think I'd ever be able to take a review with grammar like that seriously...

Some how this game is very playable on my AMD 2600+ @ 2.1GHz with a AGP x1950pro 256MB.

It bogs down abit when there is a large area on my screen....but thats because i've got a cpu bottleneck.....but its still playable :)

New build coming late 07 / early 08 so I'm very happy :)

Oh, I don't dispute that. I just don't think I'd ever be able to take a review with grammar like that seriously...

Alright, fair enough.

And to everybody else having performance problems, I have no idea what's going on. I was having some slow framerates but once I switched to AFR2 rendering in my nvidia control panel things are now silky smooth at 1600x1200 and everything on max. So those of you with SLI, switch to AFR2! For those of you who don't have SLI and are getting performance problems, sucks. I guess you'll just have to wait until they come out with the full game, as they are probably still tweaking the performance aspect of the game.

stupid demo...

it will run on 64 bit Vista, but not on 64 bit XP...

so i would have to dumb down my performance to run it.

not happening.

i will install it on the X6800 8800GTX machine.

it is running XP 32 SP2...hehe

Alright, fair enough.

And to everybody else having performance problems, I have no idea what's going on. I was having some slow framerates but once I switched to AFR2 rendering in my nvidia control panel things are now silky smooth at 1600x1200 and everything on max. So those of you with SLI, switch to AFR2! For those of you who don't have SLI and are getting performance problems, sucks. I guess you'll just have to wait until they come out with the full game, as they are probably still tweaking the performance aspect of the game.

Or we can browse the UT forums for ini tweaks that people posted. :D Some good tweaks can be found here.

Edit: The tweaks there made multiplayer actually playable for me so I suppose I'm happy now. :)

Edited by iKillSteal

I was having some slow framerates but once I switched to AFR2 rendering in my nvidia control panel things are now silky smooth at 1600x1200 and everything on max. So those of you with SLI, switch to AFR2!

I can confirm this... with my 7800GT SLI @ stock 400/1000 with no SLI profile (i.e. single card) it was kinda dipping into the 20s at 1024x768... really really struggling...

Setting the OC back to 526/1260 and adding an SLI profile for UT3Demo.exe (AFR2) gave me a healthy minimum framerate in all situation at 1152x864... I could probably notch it up to 1280x960... Bear in mind that I like high framerates so that my MINIMUM framerate is good... I don't care if the AVERAGE is 30-40 fps if the minimum is like 8 fps...

I tried both Deathmatch maps and then a Vehicle CTF map, and all was good, even with lots of explosions warping the view, and loads of vehicle and weapon projectiles... quite promising seeing as 7800GT SLI is getting on a bit now... the Unreal Engine 3.0 is a lot less brutal than I thought

I'd say a single 8800 or 2900 card could handle the game for everything apart from extra high resolutions (1920x1200 and higher), and you might even be able to drive higher resolutions with a single card if you overclock it :)

But yeah, x1600 lol... that's never gonna work very well :lol:

I've been playing the demo with my roommate over a LAN connection and it's running quite well for us.

Does anyone know if there's a timedemo like the old UT demos used to have? It'd be nice to run some benchmarks.

Hi guys!

About the demo, i've played it and frankly it dosn't impressed me.

First cause of my inability to play decently with a X2 processor 3 gigs of ddr and a X1600 pro 512 Mb

I dont think i have a stinky system just that it's AGP The two sliders were at 2 for eye candy,

I had the same res i usually have 1200X800 and i could barely turn around quickly.

The feel of the game wasn't there i felt sluggish unlike 2K4, even maxed out. I didn't buy a computer to play a game at 400X800 and no graphics !!

It's also missing colors, it's like you suddenly turned colorblind or almost. You dont see it at first but once you start exploring there's no real colors.

It would probably cost me around $800 for a PCIE mobo and a decent 8800 to be able to play normally, might as well buy a PS3 :rolleyes:

Love the weaponry tough they should do them for Ut2K4 which i think looks better

The sound of the guys dieing remind's me a lot of quake.

In a few words ... Sorry EPIC no game for me, and i was so waiting for it *sigh* <_<

Reinstall your drivers, that may help. The new 7.10s are faster anyway, so its worth a shot. I can promise you it feels quicker then 2k4 did.

Loll that one was good and as much anticipated as the UT3 demo

I'm doing these

Universe at war is garbage :( Looks pretty, but boring and slow pace for an RTS. It does fewer stronger units instead of more weaker units, so the battles get boring quickly. I played the closed beta a bit and it was not only boring but buggy :(.

On the UT3...it is the best looking FPS I have ever played. With a single core and 1gig of ram I can max all settings at 1920x1440 and still hover aruond 48-50fps on huge vehicle CTF maps. Not nearly as taxing as I expected for how beautiful it is!

I tried to take a screenshot at that res but the clipboard cannot paste that much data and I get an error :lol:. It is truely amazing!

Gameplay wise, I am dissapointed by a few things. The sniper rifle, first of all, is almost useless. The projectile travels slowly, so if anyone is at any sort of distance you need to use crazy lead to even come close. Nobody stays still in a fast paced game like this, so I never found even one chance at a headshot with it...even camping on the very top of the huge bridge in vehicle CTF. I would go so far as to say it is relatively useless on any large scale battle.

Also, the manta seems way overpowered. Extremely fast and agile, guns do a ton of damage, and it has more armor then a light vehicle should. Very fun to use, very frustrating to fight against.

Lastly, my favorite vehicle the scorpian was changed a lot. Instead of that awesome energy web it shoots rockets, and it is hard to control. Maybe I am just out of practice, but it steers very unpredictably. That makes it hard to use its blades that swing out the sides, but at least its guns hurt like crazy!

Overall it is a GREAT sequal, probably worth an upgrade just to play it.

EDIT: ...and OMG hoverboards and Deathwalkers are fun!!!

So far I've been playing it almost constantly since getting it yesterday and I can say Epic has some epic stuff going here (hehehehe). I'm very pleased and I can't wait to see some older maps redone in the ut3 engine (morpheus, and face classic, mainly). I played online and the action was fast, intense, and brutal. Very good stuff. I love how well it runs, too.