New Build

xPETEZx

Hi Guys,

I am considering a New Build. Not out of choice but because of a hardware failure/software issues.

I am considering the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

OCZ FlexXL 2GB

Asus Striker Motherboard

Antec Quatro Power 850W

WD Raptor X 150GB 10,000PRM

All this I have found on eBuyer for around

Meh. I've always kind of looked at the Striker board as a "form over function" sort of board. At that price, I'd rather see you go with the DFI 680i board for roughly the same price, but a lot better performance.

Also, I'm not familiar with OCZ FlexXL, but you may want to look into what kind of chips are in them and how well they OC. With older cpus like the E6600 and Q6600 it doesn't matter much, but with the new higher FSB 6x50 chips, a good OC may really challenge your ram. There's kits out there with killer chips in them for the same price as so-so kits. It might be worth looking into. I know there's at least a few folks around here who can tell you a lot more about that stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

I am not really fixed on anything I put up, apart from the 8800GTS cause can get it for almost free.

So If there is better stuff than what I put up, please link me to it.

As I said, pretty much want TOP end stuff. I DO NOT plan to Over clock.

really don't have the time to get the system stable.

I basically just want a fast system that will last a couple of years and has the potential to be upgraded.

Thanks

Yikes. Honestly, if you don't plan to overclock then both of those boards are huge overkill. I wouldn't recommend either.

Those expensive ($300ish) boards don't offer anymore in the way of future-upgradability than a $150-$200 board would. Actually, they really don't offer much more period. If you don't plan to overclock, you'll never know the difference, but your wallet will :)

For your needs, I'd really recommend looking at the eVGA 680i boards in the $150-200 range. I'm a really big fan of the Gigabyte P35-DS3 and DS4 myself, but if you're set on nVidia graphics and want SLI for the future, those don't really fit.

i agree with Verran, look at the evga 680i boards if you want SLI possibility in the future. A 680i LT may suit your needs just fine for half the price of the striker. Also the PSU is overkill and a half. Look at the 550-650W range. You shouldn't have to spend more than $150 (sorry, don't know pounds :P) for a solid PSU.

Yikes. Honestly, if you don't plan to overclock then both of those boards are huge overkill. I wouldn't recommend either.

Those expensive ($300ish) boards don't offer anymore in the way of future-upgradability than a $150-$200 board would. Actually, they really don't offer much more period. If you don't plan to overclock, you'll never know the difference, but your wallet will :)

For your needs, I'd really recommend looking at the eVGA 680i boards in the $150-200 range. I'm a really big fan of the Gigabyte P35-DS3 and DS4 myself, but if you're set on nVidia graphics and want SLI for the future, those don't really fit.

:withstupid: Those higher end boards were designed as overclockers. Heck, a 650i SLI will work fine if you don't plan on OCing.

Also, I'm not familiar with OCZ FlexXL, but you may want to look into what kind of chips are in them and how well they OC.

PC2-9200 FlexXLC Edition

5.0-5-5-18 @ 2.35V

Micron D9GMH (B6-3)

they have finned heatsinks on them, and the heatsinks are also waterblocks... they're OCing RAM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I didnt give much thought to my orignal list of parts, I litteraly went with the STupid "what costs more must be better" theroy.

So if you guys could link me to some good stuff that would be awesome.

I put OC stuff into my system because although I dont plan to overclock now, but I would like the ability.

Not hardcore OCing but just the option to.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Placed my order last night, on the list was:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850

EVGA nForce 680i

OCZ 2GB PC2-8500

Western Digital Raptor X 150GB

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V 610W

Samsung DVD-RW SATA

With Saturday delivery the whole thing came to