Realtek HD Audio bass problem

unskin

Ok, I built a new computer last week, using a Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H motherboard with a Realtek ALC889A HD Audio integrated sound card, and running Win XP. To my great dismay I found out that there is simply no bass. Or, I guess it is there, but it is so thin that it's just laughable, for example if I'm watching a movie or a TV show and there's an explotion (or several explotions), all I get is a sound similar to hitting two bricks against each other, not like the rumble of an avalanche like I had before. I am using Beverdynamic DT770 headphones, so I know the problems does not lie there. Previous to this new computer I used Win 2000 with a Creative Soundblaster Live sound card. The problem is that I can't adjust the bass level on volume control -> advanced controls, because advanced controls is unavaliable. Now, with this sound card follows a manager called Realtek HD Audio Manager, so I checked to see if I could adjust the bass level there, but to no good. I am using the latest driver by the way. Also there is this annyoing background noise, almost like sitting in a tent, hearing the wind blowing outside. This is especially annoying in intros/outros of songs. The volume of that noice can be reduced but not removed, and I if do that, the songs lose some fullness.

Any ideas?

you should be able to, i can in my realtek audio manager...

the last 3 bars are for the lower frequencies. just make sure the power button is green in the center of that circle, or else it will be disabled.

also check the audio i/o tab and at the top it should have an option for headphones, make sure 5.1 or something isnt selected, could be your problem.

hardnrg is right, although the realtek hd sound is excellent for onboard....those headphones would really benefit from a better sound card.

welcome to occ.

I disagree with systemmatic. I had realtek's 880 HD onboard sound. Using headphones was a horrible experience garbage sound and NO BASS whatsoever and turning it up manually was disaster, it sounded like everything was dying. But using my stereo was flawless, which is REALLY strange. I'm guessing my stereos amp did the trick. As for the background noise I also had the same problem and there was nothing I could do about that either. It was on both the headphones and stereo. The realtek onboard sound is the worst sound I have ever heard. I had a compaq 200mhz mmx with onboard sound that sounded better and had no problems with headphones. I have a zenith $50 standalone dvd player and it has immensly superior audio compared to this dissapointing realtek hd audio.

Well that PC is gone now.... No more dissapointments. :):P

I disagree with systemmatic. I had realtek's 880 HD onboard sound. Using headphones was a horrible experience garbage sound and NO BASS whatsoever and turning it up manually was disaster, it sounded like everything was dying. But using my stereo was flawless, which is REALLY strange. I'm guessing my stereos amp did the trick. As for the background noise I also had the same problem and there was nothing I could do about that either. It was on both the headphones and stereo. The realtek onboard sound is the worst sound I have ever heard. I had a compaq 200mhz mmx with onboard sound that sounded better and had no problems with headphones. I have a zenith $50 standalone dvd player and it has immensly superior audio compared to this dissapointing realtek hd audio.

Well that PC is gone now.... No more dissapointments. :):P

I dunno about worst because my ACL655 chip is pumping up surprisingly good quality sound. Only time when the sound really blows is when I have my ipod headphones(go figure) plugged in because I can't find my logitech ones. Other than that everything is crystal clear. But yeah, generally ANYTHING is better than onboard.

Adding $.02

Any onboard sound I've ever had is absolute garbage regardless of what your using as speakers. Unless they're $5 Wal-mart specials of course. If you have a soundcard that you were happy with in the past, I'd import it into the new rig, and you should look into the kX drivers for SoundBlaster products.

Onboard works perfectly fine as long as you are driving a rated load and not worrying about advanced effects in games.

That said, many cheaper onboard chipsets can't drive a good set of headphones or certain kinds of speakers.

DT770 + onboard audio = cashmere tailor made suit + flip-flops

yes, it works, as in one is headphones, and one is an audio source... suit and footwear... but are they well matched? is it the best situation? no... it's quite possibly the worst idea ever...

DT770 + onboard audio = cashmere tailor made suit + flip-flops

yes, it works, as in one is headphones, and one is an audio source... suit and footwear... but are they well matched? is it the best situation? no... it's quite possibly the worst idea ever...

If the outputs can drive the impedance properly and with enough power for the user's listening preferences it doesn't matter.

so you're saying as long as an amp is powerful enough, you can use any amp, and the differences in technology, quality, etc do not make any difference in the sound...

amplification level is the only variable for sound quality?

so you're saying as long as an amp is powerful enough, you can use any amp, and the differences in technology, quality, etc do not make any difference in the sound...

amplification level is the only variable for sound quality?

Owned.

I avoid onboard sound as much as humanly possible. Some people can't hear a difference. I don't want to, :)