Direct X 10 for XP?

alleyezonme3

As much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree with waco. I used Vista for several months and found the only problem was that I needed a slightly faster machine to make it run as smooth as XP did on the same specs. If I had 2GB of RAM and a better video card, without a doubt I would have stayed with Vista.

Another point where I agree with waco is that nobody is providing any real arguments for why Vista is deemed to be so bad. Sure, you can come up with a witty anecdote or just state your personal opinion, but there has not been a single well devised argument in this thread about Vista's shortcomings.

Don't get me wrong, Vista isn't perfect. I could come up with a list of things that I personally don't like about it, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad operating system.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poorly made? Nope. Provide evidence for this claim.

Unreliable? I've yet to have a single crash.

Unsafe? Vista is safer than ANY other operating system right now. See: http://blogs.csoonline.com/windows_vista_6...rability_report

Ugly? Yeah, you're on some serious drugs.

Seriously, if you are going to attempt an argument you could at least pretend to post up something useful to back up your position.

Try reading the post before you reply.

As much as it pains me to say it, I have to agree with waco.

I won't lie, this made me lol. :P

I used Vista for several months and found the only problem was that I needed a slightly faster machine to make it run as smooth as XP did on the same specs. If I had 2GB of RAM and a better video card, without a doubt I would have stayed with Vista.

Another point where I agree with waco is that nobody is providing any real arguments for why Vista is deemed to be so bad. Sure, you can come up with a witty anecdote or just state your personal opinion, but there has not been a single well devised argument in this thread about Vista's shortcomings.

Don't get me wrong, Vista isn't perfect. I could come up with a list of things that I personally don't like about it, but that doesn't necessarily make it a bad operating system.

I'm glad I'm not just going crazy here.

Try reading the post before you reply.

I did read it.

You made a direct comparison of Vista and a Kia. I made a direct rebuttal. You dodged the argument. <_<

Having not used vista, but having used other windows OS's, I think I can say safely say that usually, windows OS's suck when they first come out. I remember everyone saying the same thing about XP when it first came out. Heck, I remember big corporations like nasa and whatnot refusing to install it. (even after sp1 I believe). I hate windows, really, I do. But if your going to stick with windows, I find it best to think of the first release, (pre sp1) as an open beta. Vista will get better, just as xp did, because M$ will not want to provide support for older OS"s forever, and when it stops, it has to provide good support for vista. Otherwise maybe some sneaky little linux distro will start cutting in on their profit margins. I can only hope.

Linux folding != Vista. Complaining about running something like that doesn't even make sense...

Posts like yours are the ones that make people say "Vista sucks" without ever touching it.

Ok... maybe folding is important to me? I run it 24/7, so not being able to run it kinna defeats the purpose in me getting Vista. Oh, and through all of these posts I forgot to mention --> http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a216051.html ..... 200 Euros.... which is about .... 277$? :rolleyes:

Ok... maybe folding is important to me? I run it 24/7, so not being able to run it kinna defeats the purpose in me getting Vista.
You said Linux SMP Folding. <_<

I guess you would care that they released a compatible SMP client for Vista...but who would want to let facts cloud your hate-parade?

Student discount = $12 Vista Business. :) It's also next to free if you get it on a new PC.

Another point where I agree with waco is that nobody is providing any real arguments for why Vista is deemed to be so bad.

That's true. No one, as of yet, has provided backing for their statements. Let me put an end to that.

Vista has driver problems. Anyone who can sit here and tell me that they believe Vista has more driver compatibility than XP is being stubborn. Sure, most people get along just fine, but the numbers of people having problems are more than just a few outliers.

Vista's heightened "security" features become annoying within days, are inevitably turned off, and thus become completely self-defeating.

Vista almost always benches worse than XP in gaming (which is what a vast majority of the users here do with their computers). In fact, waco's claim is one of the first I've heard of getting better performance in Vista by any comparison.

Vista takes more resources, and for nothing. Vista runs like crap on systems that happily ran XP. It sucks resources, and offers practically nothing in return. Apart from a few flashy menus (which get old FAST), what does Vista offer over XP? It's supposed to be an "upgrade", but I don't see any of the selling points. Yeah, the MCE portion is much better, I'll give you that. But how many people actually use that?

Vista costs money. Yeah, I know XP cost money too, but that's past tense. Everyone here is already using XP, so it's free in the sense that no one has to go out and pay to use it today. Vista costs $150-$400. And for what?! Sure, none of the things I listed are horrible beyond belief, but why on earth would I go out and pay $400 to subject myself to them? I could see if Vista offered some amazingly awesome new features, but as far as I can see, it doesn't. DX10 might be neat someday, but right now it's not doing anyone any good.

It's a lateral upgrade. Why would I pay anything for it?

You said Linux SMP Folding. <_<

I guess you would care that they released a compatible SMP client for Vista...but who would want to let facts cloud your hate-parade?

Student discount = $12 Vista Business. :) It's also next to free if you get it on a new PC.

I said Linux SMP folding... which is what happens when you use VMWare to host the virtual Linux OS. I totally agree with Verran on most of the points, especially the price point! Oh, and waco, would you mind to link me to where I can get Vista for 12 bucks? :rolleyes:

All windows suck :P Give me OSX any day on my computer lol, yer i have tried but never had any luck :( But yes vista been good for me i will say, 64bit was a pain with drivers, but i do have new parts so drivers are easy to get, i feel for people that's used vista with older hardware i guess thats why it a down hill run for them, but i do like the feel to it, runs smooth and only issues are my own doing, OC to far :P

As for topic, i think there will be some edits to run directX 10 on xp, but only in time, thou its will not be as good as running as it's meant to on vista, but it will allow better effects somewhat.

so far with vista installed a month, its been ok.

it would be a lie if i said i wouldn't go back to xp, but i figured i would give it a month.

right now i have tweaked vista quite a bit and its using less resources then it did a month ago (1 month ago it was using ~45% memory, i am now down to ~34%, it would be even more if i turned off the side bar)

ok, i play games like TES:Oblivion and Need for speed most wanted, ive had them installed on both xp and vista, personally i cant notice a difference when playing them, but there is like a 5fps difference by fraps, 5fps ... i can handle that.

next is driver support. i had a hell of a time locating drivers for my turtle beach montego DDL. i emailed turtle beach and they sent me beta drivers that worked perfectly andi m still using to this day. but i was lucky as i bought a relatively new AMD system after vista was released and as i looked at the boxes of my components they mostly say "ready for vista" .... so in that regard i say i was lucky

oh boy DX10 ... i cant say too much as i have a x1950 pro (yay for budget constraints). but who knows, it will one day be the standard.

i feel overall though that vista is a good os, yes it has bugs but as someone already pointed out so did xp when it came out, give vista the same amount of time as we did xp and it could possibly get better.

In fact, waco's claim is one of the first I've heard of getting better performance in Vista by any comparison.

The 2900XT drivers are more efficient in Vista for some reason.

I'm trying to find the review I read now, Google is failing me. :(