Does a dell psu cut it?

They sell adaptors for odd Dell PSUs. Ive got one for an older computer. Im not sure if dell still uses that funky PSU pin out though. The computer Ive got the adaptor for is a P2, but I dont need an adaptor for my 8300 dimension (4 or 5 years old).

Double checked with my friend and he has a dimension 4600:

P4 2.8

512 Mb (he might have gotten 1 gig)

1 CD drive + 1 DVD drive

80gb hdd

fx5200 ultra

Basically I don't think he wants a new computer right now being as though he'll be getting a new laptop for college next year, so if there is any graphics card upgrade thats worth the money? I think he wants to play Left 4 Dead in November so hes looking for a cheap upgrade.

Also should a start a new post if I want to run some specs by for that $500 upgrade I mentioned earlier or can I just do it here?

Double checked with my friend and he has a dimension 4600:

P4 2.8

512 Mb (he might have gotten 1 gig)

1 CD drive + 1 DVD drive

80gb hdd

fx5200 ultra

Basically I don't think he wants a new computer right now being as though he'll be getting a new laptop for college next year, so if there is any graphics card upgrade thats worth the money? I think he wants to play Left 4 Dead in November so hes looking for a cheap upgrade.

Left 4 Dead? I had to google that one. :rolleyes: Wikipedia tells me that it's not going to be released until 2008, and it's usually pretty accurate with release dates. Unless he has an immediate need for it, just tell him to wait. If you buy something on Black Friday or around Christmas, you can get some killer deals. That's in addition to the standard technology price drops over time. :thumbs-up:

Also should a start a new post if I want to run some specs by for that $500 upgrade I mentioned earlier or can I just do it here?

You can do it here or make a new topic, whatever you feel like doing. I'm tempted to say that you may get more responses if you start a new topic, but if you ask here, you get answers from all/most of the people that are following this thread... Just don't do both. ;)

So what? hold off the PSU till that current one dies..

If the DELL can't cut it, it'll just die from being overdrawn in wattage. If you're gonna replace it might as well let it die.

You should really know better than that. <_< Dying PSUs have a tendency to take everything else with them, especially the worthless crap that Dell uses.

So what? hold off the PSU till that current one dies..

If the DELL can't cut it, it'll just die from being overdrawn in wattage. If you're gonna replace it might as well let it die.

Wow. That is horrible advice. Not only is there a high likelihood of damaging other components when the PSU goes (especially with cheap-o models), but in the meantime the PSU will probably be under-volting everything else in the PC which can seriously reduce the lifespan of the parts.

Um a regular mainstream PSU will work in that computer. My aunts Dimension 4550 Power supply died, so I picked up a cheap rosewill plugged it up and it worked just fine, had to modify the case with a dremel to get the power supply to fit in the case with the switch on the back. Before you plug it up compare the wires of the main plug with the dell one to make sure it has the same color wire at each hole.

Um a regular mainstream PSU will work in that computer. My aunts Dimension 4550 Power supply died, so I picked up a cheap rosewill plugged it up and it worked just fine, had to modify the case with a dremel to get the power supply to fit in the case with the switch on the back. Before you plug it up compare the wires of the main plug with the dell one to make sure it has the same color wire at each hole.

but you have to remember, dell doesn't stick to one exact motherboard / psu per model line. feature set will stay the same but how they get there can vary wildly.

this is one of those times I'd rather error on the side of caution than go leaping into this and make a mistake.