Aircooled Router!

nice job. by the way, you can still post pics in your posts. just add them as attachments. thats what I do.

So i just upload them as berfore?

I'll take some pics of the slugs that came out of the holesaw later.

Might want to check the food section later..... I borrowed my brother's camera :D

At the moment I don't have the time or patience to figure out how to post the dang pics.

post-9702-1186262650_thumb.jpg

post-9702-1186262658_thumb.jpg

this is how you do it:

mazak1pl6.gif

mazak2ov8.gif

mazak3vt3.gif

mazak4sm2.gif

mazak5ij6.gif

mazak6to0.gif

mazak7ax2.gif

mazak8go2.gif

mazak9gl2.gif

mazak10nb2.gif

or... upload to imageshack and put IMG tags before and after the URL:

[img=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/966/dsc00011lp4.jpg]

=

dsc00011lp4.jpg

oh, btw... for dinner, I'm having battered calamari with roasted pepper and piri-piri dipping sauce, potato wedges, and a litre bottle (just shy of 2 pints) of San Miguel lager :D

update: man, that was nice lol... the sauce is very hot, like a hot oriental chilli dish - warms the lips, inside cheeks and throat, but doesn't burn the tongue - whew... yum :)

i haven't had calamari for ages and fancied something different today hehe

post-9702-1186262650_thumb.jpg

post-9702-1186262658_thumb.jpg

this is how you do it:

mazak1pl6.gif

mazak2ov8.gif

mazak3vt3.gif

mazak4sm2.gif

mazak5ij6.gif

mazak6to0.gif

mazak7ax2.gif

mazak8go2.gif

mazak9gl2.gif

mazak10nb2.gif

or... upload to imageshack and put IMG tags before and after the URL:

[img=http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/966/dsc00011lp4.jpg]

=

dsc00011lp4.jpg

oh, btw... for dinner, I'm having battered calamari with roasted pepper and piri-piri dipping sauce, potato wedges, and a litre bottle (just shy of 2 pints) of San Miguel lager :D

update: man, that was nice lol... the sauce is very hot, like a hot oriental chilli dish - warms the lips, inside cheeks and throat, but doesn't burn the tongue - whew... yum :)

i haven't had calamari for ages and fancied something different today hehe

Calamari is fine but just wait till supper is over.. then I'll link the pics. :lol:

That definitely takes the cake for being the biggest quote box I've seen on OCC. You deserve an award for that.

I'm also considering doing something like that for our d-link wifi router. We keep it downstairs but that thing still gets hot.

That definitely takes the cake for being the biggest quote box I've seen on OCC. You deserve an award for that.

I'm also considering doing something like that for our d-link wifi router. We keep it downstairs but that thing still gets hot.

No, that one was pretty short compared to some that I have seen. :lol:

I havent modified the modem yet. I have another 60mm fan and grill waiting to be applied to the modem but it's tricky. The kids are always on line and I don't want to hear them complain. :lol:

Thanks for the tutorial hardnrg. :D I copied the whole thing into a Word file for future reference.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the calamari. I'm going to post some pics of what we had last night in the food section. :D

i have a feeling (quite literally if i touch it lol) that my wireless usb adaptor (d-link as well) get a tad hot as it seems to cut out when it has been used for a while and then will cut out regulary after that. But i don't know what to do with it as i cant just mod a fan onto the side of a usb thing lol.

Though if i set in on the ground the draught from under the door helps (all the electronics make my roon warmer than everywhere else so i have a constant stream of cool air under the door lol)

i have a feeling (quite literally if i touch it lol) that my wireless usb adaptor (d-link as well) get a tad hot as it seems to cut out when it has been used for a while and then will cut out regulary after that. But i don't know what to do with it as i cant just mod a fan onto the side of a usb thing lol.

Though if i set in on the ground the draught from under the door helps (all the electronics make my roon warmer than everywhere else so i have a constant stream of cool air under the door lol)

I had the same problem, I finally got tired of it and got a new adaptor. you could always try cracking the plastic open, that alone ought to let the components get enough air to cool off.

edit: I havent tried it, but in my mind that should help.

What make is your router by chance?

I *had* a Belkin router that made my wireless USB stick scorching, but changing to a Netgear router made it a) 100% more reliable and no cutting out and b) much cooler to the touch

(note: it's the 3rd instance for me, of where a Belkin router has been the source of quite frankly dire wireless reliability)

The router is a d-link DI-524 with a D-link DWL-G122. I don't really want to crack it open but i suppose what i could do is make a little tunnel out of corroflute plastic and put a small case fan at the end (i have a spare 40mm) Only this is what do i power it with?

The router is a d-link DI-524 with a D-link DWL-G122. I don't really want to crack it open but i suppose what i could do is make a little tunnel out of corroflute plastic and put a small case fan at the end (i have a spare 40mm) Only this is what do i power it with?

I use a 12 volt transformer that I got a at a local discount electrical store (I don't know how else to call them but they don't sell high end stuff and good for inexpensive mods and the like) for around $6 CDN (output 12volts DC 1200mA)

I cut off the connector and used the dual sided screw type connectors that you can see on the top of the transformer. I added solder to the stripped wire but only enough so that all the strands were coverd and didn't have a big blob on the end to ensure a good connection.