Going Where No Modder Has Gone Before... (i Think)

now... you may just point and laf at me, but i just had a revelation...

my idea is to build an underwater computer. this is based off the fact that distilled water doesnt conduct electricity.

my idea is to make a clear plexiglass box, with 2 runners so i can slide a big plexiglass plate into the box. the plate would have mobo mounts on it, and all the computer components. the back would have IO conneters glued permanently into the case (i would glue the whole thing with that clear cauking stuff) then a loose wire from the back to go to the IO ports on the mobo/components

there would be a water free cage in the front for a dvd and cdrw, along with a floppy, and they would be connected in a similar fashion to the back IO ports.

i would have to buy some underwater fans, mainly to just keep the water circulating, but also some right over the cpu, gpu, and northbridge.

i would buy a whole bunch of distilled water, clean out the case, then boil some more distilled water and use that for the water in the case...

so what u think? think ive gone crazy? any ideas on things that wouldnt work?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm...well test it out with a cheap system you don't mind loosing...because to be honest i have some doubts...

to ciruclate the air just use a submersible pump. ehiem'ss are, as well as swiftec's. also you might want to have a radiator the the water cirulated to as well...assuming the "case"/water tank is going to be enclosed, then the heat transfer wouldn't be very good. since there wouldn't be fresh air, the heat would be transfered pc->water->plastic->outside air, and plastic isn't much of a heat conductor. who knows it may not make a big difference.

also whats the point of boiling distilled water...especially if you don't have a condenser to trap the water vapor and let it condense back to liquid...unless you have a moonshine still in you garage :P

actually you make a tent out of cleaned plastic, the let the corner runoffs go into a container

that is just to ensure the the water is actually DISTILLED (who knows, maybe all those companies are bull crapting us)

as for actual cooling, direct water on die is the best there is. the water *would* heat up, but my idea is that it would be sort of a reverse water cooling system... the turbines would circulate water, but then a pump or two would take it out of the case, to like 2 or 3 radiators. on top of the case, there would be an extention of the sides, creating a bin of sorts. from the bottom of this bin 1 or 2 inches would be a horizontal peice, leaving gaps on both sides... this would also have sides on it parallel to the front and back. this would create a double trough, the top one would contain the fans and radiators, the bottom one would be a holder if i ever wanted to put ice/dry ice for some kickass benchmarks. this ice would cool the water, along with the air entering the higher trough and going thru the radiators...

complicated, but it would be soo sweet...

another cocamaimy idea... from a side view, another peice of plexi would be put in, recessed an inch or two from the original side... this would create a space where i could put some exotic fish, and i could have a slider at the top for food! i know its crazy, but i would be set to jet for maximum pc's kickass mod of '03 :lol:

it would cost money i dont have too...

maybe in a few months, i can save up

2 eheim pumps.... $200

3 innovatek radiators... $250

40sq feet of plexiglass... $63

2 tubes of caulk... $12

distilled water... $4

exotic fish... $22

people complimenting on the nice computer interior picture you put in your fishtank.... priceless :ph34r:

Edited by Mercury

didn't know you were planning on the radiators...it sound more like haveing you m/b sit in a fish tank...speaking of which maybe you could convert an acrylic fish tank to your needs :)

i used to have a 55 gal and a bunch of cool fish, but i remember nothing of them... how hot does the water have to be? i didnt think it was that much, cause if it is, its going to cool down and ima have bunch of dead fish...

maybe penguins :lol:

I've seen a site on the web where it has been done....

I'll look for it!!

The issue is dirt...

Sure the distilled water or mineral oil won't conduct electricty, but it is that one spec of dirt that enters the system the wreaks havoc.....

Here is One:

Immersion Cooling

Edited by exeter_acres

2 eheim pumps.... $200

3 innovatek radiators... $250

40sq feet of plexiglass... $63

2 tubes of caulk... $12

distilled water... $4

exotic fish... $22

Seeing your motherboard go up in flames... Priceless

For somethings money cant by for everything else there is mastercard