What is this part and is is replaceable?

airman

Over the past few weeks, i've noticed my amp running hot to the touch. Real hot. With my infrared thermometer i've seen it as high as 150 degrees fahrenheit. Definitely not good. It's a rockford 851s 2channel amp.

Earlier this afternoon i went to play around with it - and there was a humming coming from the sub. only got louder and quieter with the gain adjustment, and never went silent. this just started today.

here are some pictures of it. as you can see it's quite....burnt up. oddly enough, the amp still functions. just not well, anymore.

all of the other caps/resistors look fine. there aren't any i would deem "questionable".

under this part, the text says "PC-4341-A". i wasn't able to find much on the net about it. is it something that can be handmade? doesn't look like much more than ~16guage-ish wire wrapped around a donut looking thing. im' not much of an electrician but it looks simple.

DSC01436.jpg

DSC01441.jpg

DSC01432.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

let me know guys :)

worst case scenario, Rockford has a service center outside Phoenix, AZ. I have personally dealt with their customer service and they are well known for standing behind their prodcuts 100%.

worst case scenario, Rockford has a service center outside Phoenix, AZ. I have personally dealt with their customer service and they are well known for standing behind their prodcuts 100%.

so would it be a complete RMA? or rather have them send me the part i need? i have a feeling they're gonna be closed tomorrow, but i'll definitely give them a call. i don't have any receipts for it, although i do have the factory box...i think. i bought it off a friend a couple of years ago for my w6.

It looks like a toroidal style transformer to me. It is quite possible to wind one yourself, but it would be a lot of effort and you'd need to know how many turns each wire on the original was making and stuff. If it is still under warranty then I wouldn't bother trying to fix it yourself.

It looks like a toroidal style transformer to me. It is quite possible to wind one yourself, but it would be a lot of effort and you'd need to know how many turns each wire on the original was making and stuff. If it is still under warranty then I wouldn't bother trying to fix it yourself.

thanks markie. as for warranty, i doubt it's still under one unless rockford offers a lifetime warranty. i bought it USED almost two years ago, and i'm sure the guy i bought it from would have had it for at least two more on top of that.

i doubt their office is open today (memorial day), but i'll give them a call and see what kind of options i have. i really don't need it anymore, because it barely moves my new sub, but it'd be nice to get fixed and possibly sell later on.

thanks markie. as for warranty, i doubt it's still under one unless rockford offers a lifetime warranty. i bought it USED almost two years ago, and i'm sure the guy i bought it from would have had it for at least two more on top of that.

i doubt their office is open today (memorial day), but i'll give them a call and see what kind of options i have. i really don't need it anymore, because it barely moves my new sub, but it'd be nice to get fixed and possibly sell later on.

Ah. Well, you can ask about a replacement part I guess.

If it's now a kind of spare "not gonna be used any more" amp, then you could well go ahead and attempt to wind one yourself if time ever permits. I guess you would need a lot of the same gauge enamelled copper winding wire, a new toroidal core ( http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.js...d+core&Ntx= ) and a fair amount of time and patience to figure out how many winds the original has for each wire!

Edited by markiemrboo

maybe it's this? http://www.aeri.com/search/PC4341A-RI

drop them an email or call them up to see if it is actually this component and not a coincidental name match

yeah, emailed them last night. i just wish they would provide at least a picture or a price so i had some sort of idea what it is.

markie, if it comes down to it, i just might do that :)

yeah, emailed them last night. i just wish they would provide at least a picture or a price so i had some sort of idea what it is.

markie, if it comes down to it, i just might do that :)

Pics if you ever do ;) and be careful! It may not be working with mains, but that transformer is one of the main parts of the power supply section of the amplifier and a car battery, I think, can easily deliver something like 200A, probably more! You probably know more about that than me though as I am not in to cars much :)

well, just called rockford and they're shipping one my way. they say it should go out today or tomorrow. it did cost me $33 bucks, but hey if i can turn around and sell this for a hundred bucks, i'll be good to go. it hardly moves my new mtx 9500, and i'm getting a new amp that will make it move soon :)