What is this part and is is replaceable?

airman

It hardly moves my new mtx 9500, and i'm getting a new amp that will make it move soon :)

I'm thinking that may have been the problem, you may not have been running the amp in its load range (too low of a resistance; ohms or too high), therefore it overheated because it was not in spec...

I'm thinking that may have been the problem, you may not have been running the amp in its load range (too low of a resistance; ohms or too high), therefore it overheated because it was not in spec...

As far as I am aware, trying to drive a higher impedance speaker would not overheat it. Doing such a thing should pull less current from the power supply! Trying to drive a lower impedance, however, might well make things like this happen as doing this would draw more current.

As far as I am aware, trying to drive a higher impedance speaker would not overheat it. Doing such a thing should pull less current from the power supply! Trying to drive a lower impedance, however, might well make things like this happen as doing this would draw more current.

yeah, you're right.

@verran: it's still a two ohm load either way. this sub is replacing a dual 4 12w6v2 by jl audio, RMS at 400w. the amp is rated for 425w per channel RMS on two ohms. my 9500 (which is also set on two ohms) has an rms of 1000w. so i have only been running 425w through that, which barely moves it.