OCC Recomends Almost Everything

Vasto

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you only say that because you want to get them all, Mr. Editor

Alright, but maybe things should be rated a little different make it a little tougher to get the seal of approval. If it is all higherend products then it makes sense that they shouldn't perform as bad as lowend stuff. Highend stuff isn't perfect and has its flaws, basically my point is that if more and more things are being recommended then maybe the standard to get that should be raised.

I will look into that, maybe we can change some stuff up but know that are standards are high as it is. If we start to change things to much it can back fire then you will be complaining again :lol:

I will look into that, maybe we can change some stuff up but know that are standards are high as it is. If we start to change things to much it can back fire then you will be complaining again :lol:

Yea I understand that you don't want to change to much and start annoying people by not recommending things, but also you don't want to recommend to much because then it starts to look like it's too easy to get recommended. And if it is a case of that the standards are high already and the products are getting recommended then that's a good thing, it means that you guys are getting and reviewing good products. So I guess another option is to start reviewing some worse products :lol:

Yea I understand that you don't want to change to much and start annoying people by not recommending things, but also you don't want to recommend to much because then it starts to look like it's too easy to get recommended. And if it is a case of that the standards are high already and the products are getting recommended then that's a good thing, it means that you guys are getting and reviewing good products. So I guess another option is to start reviewing some worse products :lol:

You must not have seen when Paul reviewed the world's worst cooler. :lol:

Maybe we should use a ratings system in conjuction with an award system. So you can have something like 1-4, no award, 5-6, bronze award, 7-8, silver award, 9-10, editors choice award. That way you can get an idea of where the product ranks on a scale, as well as have a shiny award.

Just sayin' :)

Maybe we should use a ratings system in conjuction with an award system. So you can have something like 1-4, no award, 5-6, bronze award, 7-8, silver award, 9-10, editors choice award. That way you can get an idea of where the product ranks on a scale, as well as have a shiny award.

Just sayin' :)

That's what I was alluding to.

Both PC Gamer and GFW (formerly CGW) do this. PC Gamer has a 0-100% scale and GFW has a 0-10 scale. PC Gamer awards Editor's Choice for any game/product that scores a 90% or above, and GFW awards Editor's Choice for any game that scores 9 or above.

I'd prefer to see 1-5 star scales for relevant areas... like:

performance

quality

useablity

value for money

and then an overall one. Then reserve the 'choice' images for really good stuff.

performance

quality

useablity

value for money

and then an overall one. Then reserve the 'choice' images for really good stuff.

This is potentially the best idea mentioned so far, as it enables a user to see each individual aspect of the review. Boss-man decides though :lol:

I think we should do what most publications do. Have an "Editor's Choice" award for the top products, and that's it. You can name it something else, but having different classifications just makes it confusing, especially if someone doesn't read every OCC award. Many people on the outside are not going to read reviews for products they're not in the market for. So someone may read a review or ours tomorrow when they've never read any prior. "OCC Recommended" sounds like it's the Editor's Choice, and thus they can see that and think we're calling it TOPS in its category. Not good, IMHO.

Like I said, have ONE award. If you want "grades" then let's start doing 4 stars, 5 stars or a 1-10 scale. If we do that, then Editor's Choice (or whatever we call it) should only be rewarded for 4 star products, 5 star products or 9-10 rated products, respectively.

performance

quality

useablity

value for money

I'd agree with the star system.... that's the easiest for most people to understand. If you need more wiggle room, use 1/2 stars.

If you look at the reviews that we are doing nothing is really lowerend anymore, everything is higherend which makes sense why you are seeing more awards. Occ is very picky with what we review, if we feel that it will be good and will be benefit to you the readers, we will take it on. No more $10 coolers and $50 cases that is all gone now.
It's good to see OCC doing higher end reviews, but you need to remember the little guys that wont be looking for high end stuff as well. People like to know what sucks just as much as they like to know what doesn't.

This is potentially the best idea mentioned so far, as it enables a user to see each individual aspect of the review. Boss-man decides though :lol:

Dang right :P

It makes it more like traditional PC magazine reviews, which everyone understands.

I'd agree with the star system.... that's the easiest for most people to understand. If you need more wiggle room, use 1/2 stars.

It's good to see OCC doing higher end reviews, but you need to remember the little guys that wont be looking for high end stuff as well. People like to know what sucks just as much as they like to know what doesn't.

:withstupid: Reviews need to be representative... there's no point reading a review if you know it's going to be recommended at the end. Also reviewers shouldn't feel pressured into giving something a good rating because it's an expensive bit of gear, and they're worried about losing the support of that manufacturer. I'd rather see Manufacturer X withdraw from sending OCC stuff than see a false review.

Dang right :P

It makes it more like traditional PC magazine reviews, which everyone understands.

:withstupid: Reviews need to be representative... there's no point reading a review if you know it's going to be recommended at the end. Also reviewers shouldn't feel pressured into giving something a good rating because it's an expensive bit of gear, and they're worried about losing the support of that manufacturer. I'd rather see Manufacturer X withdraw from sending OCC stuff than see a false review.

Heh.... I pissed off a number of sponsors when I did reviews. :D

Look at this review.... not sue why it says it was written by someone else, as it was one I wrote (:angry:).... but that's another issue....

Depending on where you get CoolerMaster's Premium Thermal Compound (PTC), it may actually cost more than C�ramique by $1.00 - $2.00. This isn't really that big of a deal until you start to factor in other items. First is the size tubing that you get. Using SVC as the price guide (sine this is where I ordered the PTC from) we'll see that for $3.99 sale price ($4.99 regular) we can get a 2.7g tube of C