Normal motherboard temps P5N-E Sli

Ok I bought my new rig and finally got the memory stable. Now for a quick question. For every board I have owned to date the CPU was always hotter than the motherboard. On this new system, the motherboard is consistently the hotter reading. Under load the CPU will hit 36 and the motherboard will get up to 40. Is that normal for these newer faster boards or is it possible that the NB heatsink is not set right? I find it interesting that ASUS did not put a fan on the NB and that there is not even a heatsink on the SB. My system specs are below:

...and thanks for any input :rolleyes:

Coolermaster Preatorian 730

OCZ Modular 450 Watt (I know more would be better but I maxed out the plastic on other parts)

Asus P5N-E SLi

E6600

BFG 8800 GTS OC 320MB

OCZ 667 MHZ Value Pro

Audogy 2 ZS

Western Digital 320 GB Sata 2

LG DVDRW

Its no problem if its warmer. Look at this way, maybe youve got a better HS this time. As goes with any PC component, as long as it doesnt exceed its threshold you dont have to worry about it.

Edited by SMeeD

36 load on a E6600 even at stock on stock cooling is bull! Download core temp and have a look at what thats telling ya!

yep, should be around the 41c-45c mark

as for the NB, sounds about right, mine gets about 39c at load (but thats with a modded active cooler)

Well I can assure you I don't care about bragging rights. So either Asus Probe is incorrect or those are the accurate temps. I ran Prime 95 for 30 minutes. However, for shiggles I will download core temp, run prime 95 again, and take a screen pic. And yes it is stock cooling at stock speeds. It is also about three days old so until I have it broke in it won't be OC'd.

And this is after 30 min. The temps have actually decreased because I opened the door on the front of my Coolermaster. For whatever reason the board is staying below 40C today.

I don't doubt you for a second Timoty, especially running only one instance of Prime95, but you are only running one core. If you run two instances of Prime at small fft's, you'll be running max wattage. I have the same processor / motherboard combo as you with Zalman 9700 HSF and AS 5, it will idle around 28-29C and run loaded at around 56 - 60C.

Mind you, I have seen some really cool things ppl are doing with this combination, like undervolting and being able to overclock to 3.8GHz on air. Mine can't <_< , but maybe yours can...

The NB runs really hot, (some worse than others) I would suggest active cooling on that HS if you are going to overvolt the NB to get higher overclock speeds. I have an Antec 900 case that has a 120mm fan on the side panel that happens to be pointing right at the NB HS.

MB temp, as shown by nVidia MonitorView, is at about 28 - 30C idle. At idle it seems to stay a little higher than the processor.

What would be a good way to get a true full load to see what the temps are if Prime95 is no longer the best option.....other than eating three bags of Doritos six bottles of pop and playing Doom for six hours straight....behavior my wife no longer tolerates now that I am 36 (going on 19)